Recommended mechanic Boulder, CO area, anyone? And - LR4 ownership after 100k miles...

hotrats

I'm looking for an alternative to the dealer. Any recommendations out there?

On another note - anyone have any thoughts/experiences with a 2010 LR4 with 100,000+ miles? My extended warranty just expired and now wondering if I should keep or sell. Thus far its been an excellent and reliable vehicle during the 80k miles I've owned it.

Thanks!

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Change the engine oil a little more frequently than the factory interval, there is a known sludge issue around the timing case on the 5.0 that can be alleviated by this.

When you get to 85k change the oils in the differentials, transfer box, have the transmission fluid/pan/filter changed (LR says fluid is lifetime or 150k depending on who you talk to, but ZF says 75k IIRC). Consider having this service done at a dealer, it may save you from a poor job on a critical service (really this should have been done under warranty when you were approaching 80,000, but since you didn't hit 85,000 maybe they wouldn't do it anyway).

At the same time buy a spare PCV and either swap the new part on or keep it in the car for later, same goes with a spare thermostat. I don't know if that cooling system has the same design as the earlier 4.4 it is based off of, but consider replacing the bleeder screw (t shaped grey plastic piece on top of the motor with a silver hex cap, with a simple brass barbed fitting (the part is not needed for engine service or coolant bleed)). In the case you keep the factory part have a spare on you as well. You may also plan on spark plugs for a future interval (maybe 100k?), but many motors have gone to 200k+ without it. All of these are good insurance on future issues.

You may have air suspension issues but maybe not, not the end of the world at all.

All around, these vehicles age fairly well. None of these issues are present in every single car, and most are very easy to rectify/prevent.

LtFuzz

Explorer
I haven't lived in Boulder in 15 years, but JC Rover 4x4 was the spot (down in Centennial).

There used to be a little Rover shop off of Arapahoe (and 15th? something like that) -- place was pretty grungy tho.

krick3tt

Adventurer
I have dealt with Dennis, he knows what he is doing. Also JC's is good, ask for Brad to do your work, he is tops, very good with LRs.

hotrats

Thanks for the feedback, folks. I'm checking into LinDen - a friend of mine has also recommended them.

My 105k service is due and the local dealer charges a little over $1000 for that service interval. Seems to me a bit of a ripoff for what they're doing: replace plugs, oil change, cabin air filter change, lubrication, general inspection. Of course, there's always upsells for additional recommended service so I'm sure the final bill will be a lot higher.

I'm at 103K miles and so far so good. Taking the preventative maintenance recommendations under advisement.

Other than leaks in the air lines or overheated/dead compressor, what other air suspension issues might crop up? I suspect an compressor replacement is a fairly easy job that I could do myself but what about the lines or other issues?

krick3tt

Adventurer
You can change that cabin filter yourself. Atlantic Brit has a video and you can get the filter from them. Easy and not expensive. Also wipers, have periodic sales, less than dealer. Plugs cheeper as well. Then have Dennis change them out, stock oil filters as well from AB, they supply the filter and new drain plug with washer.

ColoDisco

Explorer
Hey hotrats, I am the aforementioned Brad at JC’s. I cannot speak to Dennis at Linden. I can say our facility is very good and if you have any questions feel free to PM me. ;)

LtFuzz

Explorer
Spark plug change is a pretty trivial service -- you shouldn't be paying to have this done unless you're completely inept in the garage. It requires an IKEA toolset, unscrewing a handful a screws and pushing some plastic out of the way. Just throw one of the dozen YouTube videos up on the iPad while you do it.

hotrats

Thanks - all advice is noted and appreciated. I will look into the plug replacement project a little more closely and see what's involved. I am certain I can do it. However, there was a time when I wouldn't have hesitated but as I've grown older I see there is an inverse relationship between age+salary and tolerance for pain-in-the-ass jobs!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles