Recommended lightweight, highly packable, "warm weather" sleeping bags?

zuren

Adventurer
Earlier this month I went on my first alpine touring trip to one of the 10th Mountain Division Hut Association huts in Colorado. The trip was great and I mostly used gear that I already had but there is definitely room for improvement. If you are not familiar with the "huts" run by the 10th Mountain Association, they are a very nice bunkhouse style cabins in the Colorado backcountry with a woodstove for heat and propane cooktops for cooking. You either hike (summer), snowshoe, or telemark/alpine tour to gain access to the hut. To a degree, it's "glam-ping" but you are mostly there for the backcountry skiing.

We are looking to this again next year. The sleeping bag I took was a 20* Moonstone down mummy bag; on the lighter side (2.x lbs), compressible for my pack, but WAY too warm for the hut. My other sleeping bags are cheap Cabela's units that roll up to about the size of a large backpack. I really do not have a good "warm weather" sleeping bag for summer camping or sleeping indoors so I was hoping to get some suggestions on what has worked well for people. I'm even looking into fleece sleeping bag liners; just not sure if they would be warm enough.

I'm undecided between down and synthetic insulation. I might lean toward synthetic since I already have a down bag and having it get wet on the ski in was something I was conscious about. I'm looking to keep the price low but willing to take any suggestions until I learn more.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Not cheap.. but the Montbell Super Stretch is by far my favorite small bag. I use when packrafting and size is so important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PA Slammer

Observer
Feathered Friends out of Seattle will custom make a bag for you. I've had mine for years, backpacking, fastpacking, car camping, adventure riding... it's held up and has been incredible. They will also, restuff or repair anything that goes wrong. Great company!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LocoCoyote

World Citizen
For warm weather camping.....Army issue poncho liner. I often take two. Small, very light weight and nicely warm. Just keep them away from open flames!

krax

Adventurer
Agreed. I really prefer light, synthetic-fill blankets to sleeping bags in warmer weather.

Poncho liners are good. Also Rumpl, Nemo Puffin, Snugpak jungle blanket.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
There are scads of choices. My go-to for uber light trips is the Spark series of bags from Sea to Summit, but they're very, very narrow. The other bag I really dig is an Eddie Bauer Flying Squirrel, which is super weird but it works. Very comfy. If I want to be super comfy, I take a Thermarest Vela quilt.

luckyjoe

Adventurer
Even if you bag does not zip open 100%, you can unzip it, lay on you pad with your feet in the foot-box, with the bag butterflied open like a blanket. You don't need the bag underneath you. I do this all the time, especially in the seasonal transitions. This way you still have additional warmth (of a zipped bag) should you need it.

I prefer down to synthetic. Most new bag options will be Dry-Down or equivalent which is even better...

Geodoc

Adventurer
GoSnug

I really great alternative to the poncho liner is the GoSnug blanket - it's got three layers, a soft merino wool inside, a wool inner, and the polyster like outer layer. For warm weather, you put the synthetic layer against you, and for cool weather the merino wool. Combine that with a silk sleep sack and that should do you (mind you, the GoSnug is quite pricey, but it's awesome!).

http://gosnug.com/

No affiliation, but the inventor/owner and I met several years ago at the Outdoor Retailer show, and he's a great guy. I keep telling him he should sell to the expedition crowd.

outback97

Adventurer
I really great alternative to the poncho liner is the GoSnug blanket - it's got three layers, a soft merino wool inside, a wool inner, and the polyster like outer layer. For warm weather, you put the synthetic layer against you, and for cool weather the merino wool. Combine that with a silk sleep sack and that should do you (mind you, the GoSnug is quite pricey, but it's awesome!).

http://gosnug.com/

No affiliation, but the inventor/owner and I met several years ago at the Outdoor Retailer show, and he's a great guy. I keep telling him he should sell to the expedition crowd.

Looks nice, but quite pricey is right, wow.

Lucky j

Explorer
Have been using a western mountanairing goretex down bag for the last 20 years. -18 C mummy that I use as a blanket when warm and zipped when cold. Tho only thing is that it did not grow larger with me over time. :)

It pack small, tge gore text fabric protect it, specialy when stuff in a bag. Get the temp rating you need, but on a back country run, I would not go to high, since this could be your life line if you are not able to reach the next cabin.

Sisyphus

Adventurer
For temps above 20, I've completely converted to quilts. Enlightened Equipment out of Minnesota makes a great product and their price/quality point is impossible to beat.

Rumblefish_Pro

Observer
How about Snug Pak

Snugpak makes some really good packable sleeping bags. I have had several over the course of the last 20 years or so. The Softie Merlin 3, and Kestrel 6 both back down to about the size of a football. Normally when the weather is a bit warm, I generally use them as a quilt though. And the can be had in tactical colors as well if that is what you are interested in.

http://www.snugpak.com/military/

I have been hiking with the enlightened equipment quilt for a couple of years now and love it! Open foot box to help regulate temps means I can use my 20 bag in "warmer" setting and not overhead. Im not sure you can find a lighter weight option. And quality is outstanding. I got both mine and the wife's used off a different site but you can order size and temp to your preference. But plan ahead, lead time can be a month plus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles