Recommendations on suspension modifications on a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel w/popup camper (1300lbs)

pkita99

Hi,

Looking at some input from the forum and people that have experience with the Ram 2500 platform on suspension mods. Currently have a 2020 Ram 2500 Diesel with a Camp X pop up camper (~1300 total weight) on the back and looking to get some suspension improvements on the rig. Car is stock except putting in firestone airbags to level the truck and help with rear sag.

Some areas I would like to get opinions on:

- AEV vs Carli or other. Which one would be best suited for the application?
- Hellwig rear/front sway bars? yay or nay?
- looking to upgrade wheels to 35's before suspension upgrade. Will this make a difference?
- anything else you guys would recommend looking into?

Appreciate all the feedback.

Thanks,

Paul

UglyViking

Everything @Regcabguy recommended is pretty spot on. I've got no experience with hauling a camper with my 2500 but I know it pretty seriously raises the COG. I'd think you can prob get away with springs from carli or thuren in the front, but I would keep the rear stock for 100% sure.

If you're running airbags but don't have the daystar cradles I'd look into those, from everything I read they are a must if you are running bags offroad.

Personally I'd stay away from the AEV lift. AEV makes some absolutely awesome stuff, but their lift is not one of them. I'd run their bumper for sure, as well as pretty much every other product they offer for the 2500 trucks, but the lift I would not.

GeorgeHayduke

We have a 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins which has more or less the same suspension as your 2020. We ran a Northstar popup for about 4 years and now have a Scout Kenai. The coil suspension isn't great for controlling camper sway but certain mods have helped. We have a hellwig rear swaybar and highly recommend it. We also run Timbrens but your airbags serve a similar purpose.

I'm pretty set on a Carli pintop leveling kit as the next upgrade. King 2.5" shocks to help control the camper but factory rear coils to preserve payload. The factory shocks feel pretty overmatched trying to control a camper. Thuren suspension is also well regarded, especially their rear track bar that helps eliminate some wiggles in the rear.

The AEV suspension gets mixed reviews. On the one hand, it's well suited for users like us who are carrying heavy loads while Carli/Thuren are more targeting the unloaded desert race crowd. At the same time I'm a little underwhelmed by their shocks and it's a lot of money for a lift that doesn't improve on the travel of the factory coils. There's a member here named wapitihunter that gave some good feedback on the AEV suspension if you haven't already found that thread.

We also run 285/75R18 Cooper AT3 XLT tires which are roughly a 35" and have been very pleased with their traction, durability, and price. It's the largest tire that will fit in the spare location and they come with a 4000lb load rating. Your tires are a part of your suspension so I think it makes sense to get those dialed first. Lower tire pressures can soak up some bumps, while you'll eventually want larger shocks to help control the additional tire mass. I'd get an on board air setup and really get your tire pressures dialed for on/off road situations.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Everything @Regcabguy recommended is pretty spot on. I've got no experience with hauling a camper with my 2500 but I know it pretty seriously raises the COG. I'd think you can prob get away with springs from carli or thuren in the front, but I would keep the rear stock for 100% sure.

If you're running airbags but don't have the daystar cradles I'd look into those, from everything I read they are a must if you are running bags offroad.

Personally I'd stay away from the AEV lift. AEV makes some absolutely awesome stuff, but their lift is not one of them. I'd run their bumper for sure, as well as pretty much every other product they offer for the 2500 trucks, but the lift I would not.
I had his springs. Too soft even for the weight of a popup. If the camper wet weight is 1300# sure but if it's 1800# + I wouldn't bother. Don even tightened up my King 2.5's and it still knelt going into curves. Fantastic offroad.

UglyViking

I had his springs. Too soft even for the weight of a popup. If the camper wet weight is 1300# sure but if it's 1800# + I wouldn't bother. Don even tightened up my King 2.5's and it still knelt going into curves. Fantastic offroad.
Agreed. His springs ride absolutely amazing but they are so soft that putting anything in the bed makes it sag. I think you're prob looking close to an inch for every 500lbs give or take. If you're gonna use soft ride springs then I think you're basically required to install bags or timbrens or something to keep the load level when loaded down. The question just comes to how often you're riding loaded or how much normally rides in the bed.

pkita99

Thanks for all the input. looks like carli pintop is the way to go plus all the other sway/track bars.

Much appreciated. Now funding all these upgrades is a different story lol

silvrzuki77

explorer
I went with Thuren 2.75” and the 3.0 kings and love it. I did the soft coils in the rear and might switch back to factory coils and maybe try to find a 1” spacer. I did add airbags and daystar cradles for when I tow the travel trailer. Probably didn’t really need it but feels more stock when towing. I have been really curious about Kelderman suspension.

Possible going to go to a pop up and flat bed at some point.
65c63eebe3cbc960a63f0a21c01f2309.jpg

chet6.7

Explorer
I went with Thuren 2.75” and the 3.0 kings and love it. I did the soft coils in the rear and might switch back to factory coils and maybe try to find a 1” spacer. I did add airbags and daystar cradles for when I tow the travel trailer. Probably didn’t really need it but feels more stock when towing. I have been really curious about Kelderman suspension.

Possible going to go to a pop up and flat bed at some point.
65c63eebe3cbc960a63f0a21c01f2309.jpg
I am interested in a spacer and/or the Kelderman rear bags as well. Please post if you do it.

dcoy

Adventurer
Have an AEV suspension on a RAM 3500 with a Hawk FWC on a flatbed. The rear is supported by airbags which I was not enthused about and a recent run on the White Rim Trail confirmed my hesitancy to go with this setup. The ride was horrible and the rear window of the Hawk shattered on a modest dropoff at Valley of the Gods. Getting a new leaf spring pack for the rear and Carli Dominators with 3 inch Kings. Is that overkill? I don't know, but it is quite a heavy truck ( 12000 #) and dealing with that broken window was no picnic. Can't wait to get rid of the AEV suspension.

silvrzuki77

explorer
Have an AEV suspension on a RAM 3500 with a Hawk FWC on a flatbed. The rear is supported by airbags which I was not enthused about and a recent run on the White Rim Trail confirmed my hesitancy to go with this setup. The ride was horrible and the rear window of the Hawk shattered on a modest dropoff at Valley of the Gods. Getting a new leaf spring pack for the rear and Carli Dominators with 3 inch Kings. Is that overkill? I don't know, but it is quite a heavy truck ( 12000 #) and dealing with that broken window was no picnic. Can't wait to get rid of the AEV suspension.

I think your going to be kicking yourself that you didn’t go with Carli sooner! I went with Thuren personally and went with his 3.0 shocks unbelievable difference. I know they have a different rear leaf pack for you 3500 that keeps the payload yet smooths out the ride! I put a lot of desert miles on my Thuren suspension and still tow quite. A bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94