Recommendations on heaters and how to install.

john61ct

Adventurer
Need to be vigilant about preventing dust or othe contamination of the catalyst, replacing that costs almost as much as buying a whole new unit.

Getting the cover would be well worth it if traveling in dusty landscapes.

Otherwise just keep a clean house

NEed a recommendation for a small very safe heater for my sons econoline van. HE built it out with cedar and it is well insulated. With 2 inches of wool batting He is a snowboard instructor at mammoth and sometimes lives out of his van.

john61ct

Adventurer
Is he already using propane, carrying at least 20# bottles?

Is the van gasoline, what about tapping into the fuel tank?

crhawkeye

Does anybody know of any portable propane heaters that could easily have a output hose attached such that you could keep the heater outside the vehicle?

kerry

Expedition Leader
Wave 3 has limited output. I put verified numbers ina thread a few weeks ago. At 15 degrees f outside many people would still be cold inside if using a wave 3.

UHAULER

Explorer
Wave 3 has limited output. I put verified numbers ina thread a few weeks ago. At 15 degrees f outside many people would still be cold inside if using a wave 3.
I just bought used Northstar hardside camper. The previous owner had a wave 3 installed. We haven't used the camper yet, we are weather weenies and don't plan on camping in temps below freezing. It might work OK for us.

john61ct

Adventurer
The Westphalia / Vanagon camper forums have many dozens of threads and experienced members ready to help.

About the same as the gasoline / diesel fueled equivalents very common here.

billiebob

BEST article advice ever.
I read and argue with so many who claim CO poisoning is a myth.
So sad. ANY fossil fuel heating MUST separate the exhaust from the interior.
AND that exhaust MUST be high enough, far enough away from the sleeping compartment AND the sleeping compartment MUST be free from CO infiltration when the breeze changes.

Most heating systems spell out HOW to install their components. Read them and follow them in detail.

crhawkeye

If that's the low at night, are you sure you need a heater? It's easy to deal with that using coats/bags/blankets, etc.

If you have a good power source electric blankets are a relatively low draw on power and should keep you warm.

rbrownmr2

Observer
We put an Espar S2 D2 and on the lowest setting our AT Summit stayed warm enough for us to both kick off the blankets in the middle of the night, and the best part was no condensation- the temp was 14F over night, snow on the ground all weekend. We had the propane heat in our 2017 Fleet, and at the same camp in similar weather with the heat on all night, it was "raining" on us inside, everything was wet even with two fans running to exhaust moisture from our breath. I will forever more be a customer of the forced air type heater like S2 D2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94