Recommendations on heaters and how to install.

Blowby

Does anybody know of any portable propane heaters that could easily have a output hose attached such that you could keep the heater outside the vehicle?
Don't have any experience with this heater,but had found it in an earlier attempt to also find something similar.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Look up Chinese Diesel Heaters--all in one. There are lots of them available like the Planar, but not in a plastic box, metal, for around $150. They are pretty efficient on both diesel and electric--maybe 3 amps or so once they start up and the glow plug isn't drawing.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Propane forced air should be as dry ad diesel forced air. No combustion is taking place inside the camper to add moisture.

john61ct

Adventurer
Only if the venting is such that the combustiin process may as well be taking place outside the living space.

A Buddy will produce more humidity than a Wave

kerry

Expedition Leader
Yes. Propane forced air camper furnaces draw combustion air from outside and vent outside, unlike buddy’s and waves.

john61ct

Adventurer
The mainstream units common in the USA RV industry are insanely inefficient, both with propane and electricity

compared to "parking heater" type like Propex HS2211

Thanks for starting this thread OP. I’ve decided to go with the Propex for our Khaya. Unfortunately, they don’t seem to be available anywhere.

pablé

Has anybody mounted the Propex 2211 externally? (the 2211 is the external version of the 2000). The website says it needs a "bed box". Not sure what that is or whether it is included. I am waiting to hear back from them. I am thinking of mounting the 2211 on the back of my FW Fleet in order to save some cabinet space. Any thoughts about this mounting location? (to the right of the back door). I'm going to check out the Truma as well. There is a good chance I will end up installing the furnace in the cabinet space inside. I wonder if FWC would send me all the install hardware? I already have a propane system installed - just no furnace.

NOPEC

Has anybody mounted the Propex 2211 externally? (the 2211 is the external version of the 2000). The website says it needs a "bed box". Not sure what that is or whether it is included. I am waiting to hear back from them. I am thinking of mounting the 2211 on the back of my FW Fleet in order to save some cabinet space. Any thoughts about this mounting location? (to the right of the back door). I'm going to check out the Truma as well. There is a good chance I will end up installing the furnace in the cabinet space inside. I wonder if FWC would send me all the install hardware? I already have a propane system installed - just no furnace.

I think you may find that Truma only sells their products through their dealer network, who would also do their installs. I might be wrong but I don't think you can do a DIY Truma install.

When you are considering the Propex heaters and your possible areas for an install, keep in mind that there are two separate sets of flexible pipe (one exhaust and one air intake) about a meter long, that have to be routed from the bottom of the heater to the outside of your unit. The length as received must not be changed. Now this pipe is quite flexible but you have to be really careful (and you are alerted to this in the install instructions) about very sharp corners and especially, kinks in the pipe which will affect performance and/or safety. If the air/exhaust flow is not to the liking of the unit, it will lock you out until you resolve the issue. This is of course a safety override feature, one which I really like.

People who are putting these units on the floor like in a van or box camper, find it is easy to find the room to thread the piping before it exits or just punch some holes in the floor and run it straight down. With a slide in camper you are a bit more cramped and you don't have the luxury of going through the floor so you probably will have to be a bit more imaginative in the threading of the air intake and exhaust, prior to having them exit to the outside.

pablé

People who are putting these units on the floor like in a van or box camper, find it is easy to find the room to thread the piping before it exits or just punch some holes in the floor and run it straight down. With a slide in camper you are a bit more cramped and you don't have the luxury of going through the floor so you probably will have to be a bit more imaginative in the threading of the air intake and exhaust, prior to having them exit to the outside.

Thank you. Yes, I see what you mean looking at the install guide. The downfacing exhaust and intake would be problematic if installed inside the vehicle. I think slide in campers usually just exhaust horizontally. I mean it would be doable but the downfacing exhaust requires using even more valuable cabinet space. I'm tempted to buy this VVKB portable which could be easily removable in summer, but diesel heaters seem kinda finicky to me (even the spendy ones). https://www.vvkb.com/heaters/portable-parking-heater/

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz