Recommendations for rubber boots?

blackwood

Adventurer
Anyone have any recommendations for rubber boots? I don't have a pair and should keep one in my rig. I don't plan on any snow usage or heavy muds. General purpose I suppose around the western states, I don't know if I should go cheap or quality.

tarditi

Explorer
Looking for wellies (calf-high 'farm' boots), galoshes (slip over the footwear you wear as an outer protective cover), or something like duckboots (waterproof boots designed for mud/marsh/wet)?

ChadHahn

Adventurer
Living in AZ I don't have much of a need for rubber boats, but I do have a pair of Wal Mart farm boots that I picked up at a thrift store. They are comfortable, keep my feet dry and have good traction.

Chad

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I got some from West Marine that are steel toed. I wear them way more than I should for being in San Diego haha.

BEG

Adventurer
Looking for wellies (calf-high 'farm' boots), galoshes (slip over the footwear you wear as an outer protective cover), or something like duckboots (waterproof boots designed for mud/marsh/wet)?

LL Bean (there's on in Marlton) has plenty of different models of duck boots (they call them "Maine Hunting Shoes") all the way up to 16". They're durable, breathe more than rubber wellies and have laces that help keep them on your feet. I usually call my order in when I buy them and have lace hooks put in instead of eyelets for like $1.50 extra. They're made in Maine, so that's a bonus. The only downside is they aren't easy on/off.

For galoshes, Tingley are the best I've used and I believe they're made in USA as well.

For wellies, I prefer the European made brands like Le Chameau, Aigle, the higher end Hunter's etc. They're expensive but the materials used (natural rubber instead of PVC), the linings (leather, neoprene etc), the fit and the soles all add up to a boot that you can wear comfortably all day.

For a throw-it-in-the-rig-and-forget-it kind of welly, LaCrosse boots are decent enough.

forty4fun

Observer
Second on the Xtratuff. It is the standard in Alaska where it is really wet and muddy. You fit within the social hierarchy based on the wear on your xtratuff boots. Sold at Fred Meyer.

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Anyone have any recommendations for rubber boots? I don't have a pair and should keep one in my rig. I don't plan on any snow usage or heavy muds. General purpose I suppose around the western states, I don't know if I should go cheap or quality.

If you don't intend on using in snow or mud, what are you thinking you would wear them for? If you're thinking about a pair for the infrequent holy ___ moments, I would recommend getting a pair of middle-of-the-road waders with integrated boots. Nothing can ruin a day faster than slipping in the muck and getting a wet rear or sinking in over the tops on what seemed like shallow water/muck.

jgatliff

Father, Husband, Outdoorsman, & Adventurer.
Muck boots. They are great. I carry a pair every time I go camping, they are very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles