Recommendations for rechargeable LED lantern for table?

potfish

Hi

I am looking for a lantern with warm white color LEDs, 2700k preferably. Everyone tells you the color temperature when you're buying bulbs for home, car etc. but everyone seems more focused on lumens for camping. Warm white is an absolute must and most products don't tell you.

It will be used on a table for light while family eating or food preparation, then switched off. Definitely not interested in propane or liquid fuel, and strong preference for rechargeable and preferably not too bulky. I won't need to hang it, and I have a head torch for tasks away from the table. I just don't want us all to blind each other with head torches while we eat.

Was seriously tempted by the Biolite Baselantern until I read some reviews. Having software bugs or connectivity issues make a lantern not work is really stupid. The form-factor looks ideal though.

I did try to search the forums but it was hard to find actual recommendations amongst all the discussions about gas vs battery vs no light at all, so hoping for someone to take the time to recommend here.

Thanks
Martin

NOPEC

Martin

Check out Goal Zero. They make great stuff and have a cool LED rechargable lantern that has a neat "concertina" design so you if you want, you can mess with light direction by just flattening or elongating the bellows. Doesn't look like it will break the bank either.

Cheers Bob

potfish

(y) I don't know how I missed Goal Zero. They say their lanterns are 3500k, a little less warm than I would like, but at least they list the spec.

Superduty

Adventurer
Love my streamlight lantern. Uses AA batteries. I use rechargeables, so i guess that qualifies.

No clue what the temp is of the light, but i like it.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

ricoisme26

these look very high quality, they don't list the color specifications but state "cool white/warm white/natural white" as different settings for the light. I have no experience wit these though.

potfish

these look very high quality, they don't list the color specifications but state "cool white/warm white/natural white" as different settings for the light. I have no experience wit these though.
Interesting... I found another site with a marketing photo reporting 6500K cool white, 4200K natural white, 3000K warm white. I didn't have a particular budget in mind, but this one is a bit expensive to buy sight unseen. At half the price I might take a punt on the Goal Zero.

pluton

Adventurer
Every camping trip, I become determined to find flashlights, lanterns, and headlamps that don't have the idiot, annoying blue color to the light. Preferably with a high CRI as well. Those Goal Zero ones look decent, tho I'd still prefer to be able to change batteries and use my own rechargable AA batts.

Trail Talk

We find the Black Diamond Apollo Lantern very useful. Doubles as a USB charger, has adjustable brightness levels.

620716_OCTN_Apollo_Tall.jpg

Choff

Adventurer
We have one of these lights
Great small one
Check web site for bigger lamps also

Scoutman

Explorer
I like the little Nitecore LA30. They list the beam color as a High CRI so I'm not sure if that suits your 'warm' color requirement or not but it's a great little rechargeable light.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
We have a little one from Walmart that runs on 2 AAA batteries. Was $5 and I've changed the batteries twice in about 9 years.
Also has a red LED that spares your night vision.

potfish

While I appreciate the suggestions may I gently steer this thread back to warm white is an absolute must? If the advertising blurb or personal reviews do not give me a clue as to the color temperature or at least the words "warm white" then I don't want to risk it. I already have several LED lights which I don't like because of the LED color.
Thanks!

I was going to suggest the Core lantern. Not expensive, five different brightness settings, rechargeable, can be hung right side or upside down, and doubles as a Bluetooth speaker to boot. Real happy with mine. Even at full brightness (1250 lumens), it will stay on for a few hours.

But then I saw "warm." I think this one is about 6000K. :(

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
While I appreciate the suggestions may I gently steer this thread back to warm white is an absolute must? If the advertising blurb or personal reviews do not give me a clue as to the color temperature or at least the words "warm white" then I don't want to risk it. I already have several LED lights which I don't like because of the LED color.
Thanks!
I've "warmed" up a few lamps through the years by tinting the lens with Duplicolor Metalcast Yellow spray paint.

A really long essay on light color by my old buddy Dan (includes tinting instructions):

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
I have the same problem. Bright white LEDs are great outside for area lighting, but inside my shelter I prefer a dimmer, more yellow light. I found a three pack of battery powered lights at Costco that work pretty well. Candles are nice too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles