recommendations for a portable air compresor

Saev

Observer
I have been running my Viair 300P for about 6 years now and Works like a charm, inflates 35s without problems, it fits great under the rear seat inside of my bestop roughrider under seat bag among with the arb repair tire kit

WSS

Rock Stacker
I am using a Viair 444c ("c" is constant duty) single and a 2gl tank and can fill 35's from 11 to 30 in pretty quick using a powertank powervalve.

IMG_2018_zpsw2nfup6n.jpg

IMG_2356_zps5ytcv3fn.jpg

IMG_2352_zpsntzfwz4h.jpg

IMG_3222_zpsvir1ojuf.jpg

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
I've been using this Air Armor M240 for a few years, and have been happy with it. Only 33% duty cycle, but it is more than enough for me and my 33" tires. I'm never the last one to fill back up. It comes in an ammo can, so it is easily transportable between vehicles. Costs about $130.00.

Ammo can air.jpg

shade

I don't know if this still holds true, but the difference in duty cycle ratings between some VIAIR compressors seemed to be based on their motor speed and the resulting heat. In my case, it made more sense to buy a 400P compressor with a lower duty cycle (but higher output) than what appeared to be an identical model (450P) that had derated output that allowed it to maintain a continuous rating. My truck has relatively small tyres, so it actually takes less time to inflate them with the cheaper compressor, and I don't believe I'm abusing it in the process.

Just something to think about before spending more when a lower priced model may be a better fit for your use.

The 400P is the sweet spot in the Viair lineup. I did need to replace the air hose and the inflator/chuck. The hose cracked and the chuck quit working. The pump itself has been excellent.

shade

The 400P is the sweet spot in the Viair lineup. I did need to replace the air hose and the inflator/chuck. The hose cracked and the chuck quit working. The pump itself has been excellent.
I replaced the chuck with a Milton 503 and the hose with 25' of 1/4" from Flexzilla.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
The Dodges Viair 300 overheat several times over the weekend not able to fill one tire to 60psi before cutting off. Now more than ever he is excited to get the new ExtremeAir system installed.

IMG_6957.JPG

Outdoorsben

Observer
I've been using this Air Armor M240 for a few years, and have been happy with it. Only 33% duty cycle, but it is more than enough for me and my 33" tires. I'm never the last one to fill back up. It comes in an ammo can, so it is easily transportable between vehicles. Costs about $130.00.

View attachment 564971

Completely agree with this. I run the same thing and I store it in an ammo can holder inside my JKU. It's awesome, I use it for a ton of stuff besides tires as well.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Yeah,my chuck died and I have the same unit. It'll inflate 295's from 25 to 50psi in less than 20 minutes easy.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader

View attachment 564971

The straight hose is a nice touch on a compact set up.

rnArmy

Adventurer
If you like the Air Armor M240 compressor but are looking for a way to mount it, SWAG Off-Road makes a nice aluminum bracket you can use to mount the ammo can (inside or outside of your vehicle, on your trailer, etc.). It also makes it lockable. SWAG makes other good stuff too; I have their Jeep TJ tailgate drop-down kit on my Jeep (so the tailgate drops down like God intended tailgates to do, vs. swinging open like a door). Just tossing this option out there.

(SWAG home page): https://www.swagoffroad.com/

Last edited:

Outdoorsben

Observer
This is what I have in the back of my Jeep to fit the M240.

roving1

I don't know if this still holds true, but the difference in duty cycle ratings between some VIAIR compressors seemed to be based on their motor speed and the resulting heat. In my case, it made more sense to buy a 400P compressor with a lower duty cycle (but higher output) than what appeared to be an identical model (450P) that had derated output that allowed it to maintain a continuous rating. My truck has relatively small tyres, so it actually takes less time to inflate them with the cheaper compressor, and I don't believe I'm abusing it in the process.

Just something to think about before spending more when a lower priced model may be a better fit for your use.

I actually mistakenly ordered 400P thinking it was a 450P. But I have been happy with how it works. Mine accidentally got left in a dry bag that had an unknown to me leak for a month just heat cycling in the sun with 100% humidity. Most of the metal had oxidized on the surface and I thought it would be broken since it looks like it was left on the bottom of the ocean. But 2 years later its still fine. For me airing up skinny 32" tires it is more than quick enough for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles