Recommendation please: 15-30 amp, portable, universal, auto ranging charger

outwestbound

Observer
Is the Sterling Pro Charger the one that plugs in to the AC Mains ??

Hey. Yes, the Pro Charger Ultra is the model PCU1240 - 12 volt, 40 amps - that's the AC/DC for shore power. The other one - BB1260 - is the battery to battery unit, 12 volts, 60 amps.

A knowledgable forum member helped me select the correct parts for installing the PCU 1240. My goal is to live off my inverter and hook up 110-240 volt shore power ONLY to this charger, NOT my main electrical shore power, due to risk of surges and brown outs.

First, incoming power goes through this in-line suppressor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KP59NHZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AZHZ102UTKBMA&psc=1

then, through this 2 pole breaker: https://www.bluesea.com/products/7411/A-Series_Flat_Rocker_Circuit_Breaker_-_Double_Pole_15A

in this box: https://www.bluesea.com/products/3131/Circuit_Breaker_Enclosure

mounted in my motorhome's shore power compartment, then hardwired into the PCU1240.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Just a note, that surge suppressor is wired in parallel (not series) with your loads. It does not carry any current except during a voltage spike condition. In this case that is 277VAC rms.

outwestbound

Observer
Just a note, that surge suppressor is wired in parallel (not series) with your loads. It does not carry any current except during a voltage spike condition. In this case that is 277VAC rms.

Thanks. So the ME suppressor is "next to" not "in front of" the breaker (?)

Today, I'm finalizing the install diagram for the Sterling PCU1240 and the Sterling BB1260. I've also have to install cables from the battery to the inverter, plus a variety of small guage wiring for various reasons. My goal for the day is to complete the diagrams, do a takeoff, then get the order in.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Connect the line and neutral to the output of the breaker in the same place you're connecting the power that goes to the PCU. The ground will be common between the two (not through the breaker obviously).

These surge protectors work because they have a varistor inside. It conducts little current between the ground and neutral/Line. however when the voltage exceeds a certain level the varistor becomes highly conductive shunting current to ground to keep the voltage under a certain limit.

As such it only needs to be connected to the circuit in the same way a appliance would.
Obviously you want it on the load side of the breaker.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I don't know about the rest of Europe but the UK has surge protectors on the main power board at the site / House or complex you stay at and all UK Domestic plugs that go in to a wall socket have their own fuses as well Being 1A, 3A, 5A, 10A, and 13A, So you are at leased double protected, My Extension Leads/Reels came with their own Surge protector / Circuit Breaker on the Lead where it plugs in to the wall/Supply and it also has another Trip/Reset on the centre of the Reel It's Self and then what ever you plug in to it then has it's own Fused plug that goes in to the reel or the wall "Your Choice" Remembering that Before all this that the power supply at the site also has it's own set of Breakers too, So don't worry you are well protected Over here, And none of these sites are allowed to operate unless they are TESTED/Inspected every 6 or 12 Months,

Seems a little OTT but they are so strict on this sort of thing over here, So you are well taken care off,

Good luck and have a Great Trip. (y)

PS, Also check out the Caravan Club in the UK because membership is cheap enough and that gets you a discount at every Site you Stay at and the Give you a Manual with every Good Site Listed throughout the Whole of Europe and the UK and there are 10's of Thousands of Places Listed with Photo's Contact Details along with the facilities and Ratings etc etc, Ok.

Last edited:

outwestbound

Observer
I don't know about the rest of Europe but the UK has surge protectors on the main power board at the site / House or complex you stay at and all UK Domestic plugs that go in to a wall socket have their own fuses as well Being 1A, 3A, 5A, 10A, and 13A, So you are at leased double protected, My Extension Leads/Reels came with their own Surge protector / Circuit Breaker on the Lead where it plugs in to the wall/Supply and it also has another Trip/Reset on the centre of the Reel It's Self and then what ever you plug in to it then has it's own Fused plug that goes in to the reel or the wall "Your Choice" Remembering that Before all this that the power supply at the site also has it's own set of Breakers too, So don't worry you are well protected Over here, And none of these sites are allowed to operate unless they are TESTED/Inspected every 6 or 12 Months,

Seems a little OTT but they are so strict on this sort of thing over here, So you are well taken care off,

Good luck and have a Great Trip. (y)

PS, Also check out the Caravan Club in the UK because membership is cheap enough and that gets you a discount at every Site you Stay at and the Give you a Manual with every Good Site Listed throughout the Whole of Europe and the UK and there are 10's of Thousands of Places Listed with Photo's Contact Details along with the facilities and Ratings etc etc, Ok.

outwestbound

Observer

Thanks so much! My rig was built in the United States where I live. First, I'm touring South America for 14 months, then heading to Europe after that. If I'm in the US, I use campground shore power (pedestals) and have a high end EMS to manage the AC quality. For my international travels, I've decided (as a general rule) not to plug into any shore power, EXCEPT my shore charger.

The challenge on this rig (at least for me) is to provide adequate power and line protection while traveling in ANY country; 110 - 240 volt. Standards outside the US are new to me, but I think I have it figured out, with essential help from folks who know.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Thanks so much! My rig was built in the United States where I live. First, I'm touring South America for 14 months, then heading to Europe after that. If I'm in the US, I use campground shore power (pedestals) and have a high end EMS to manage the AC quality. For my international travels, I've decided (as a general rule) not to plug into any shore power, EXCEPT my shore charger.

The challenge on this rig (at least for me) is to provide adequate power and line protection while traveling in ANY country; 110 - 240 volt. Standards outside the US are new to me, but I think I have it figured out, with essential help from folks who know.
Sound like a heck of a trip,

Checkout this link coz there is a heap of info there with other links etc hidden within the pages, But they do cover the whole of Europe and have been in the business for over 50 years +/-.

Hope this helps.

outwestbound

Observer
Sound like a heck of a trip,

Checkout this link coz there is a heap of info there with other links etc hidden within the pages, But they do cover the whole of Europe and have been in the business for over 50 years +/-.

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I'll do that. I was following this group 18 months ago when I was considering doing Europe first. I decided on South America first because the legal complexity, in terms of visa, health insurance and US driver license seemed less daunting. Setting the economic and political merits of Brexit aside, I'll be curious to see how Brexit, if it occurs, affects my thinking about Europe. I suspect it will be positive, perhaps adding some options and flexibility. Having to dance the Schengen shuffle - darting in and out to meet the visa requirements and not over-stay, seemed awkward I recall. This assumes I obtained no visa and just traveled on whatever stamp I got at the boarder. But, I may get a 1 year "tourist visa" in France, which could facilitate annual travel in the Schengen Area, subject to the legal particulars involving legal liability and driver license. These matters are for another day. Today, I'm focused on South America. Hoping to ship out from Florida to Colombia this August.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
CoooooL,

You can get an EU Licence over here which covers just about every part of the EU and the UK AND In the UK they give you about 6 months to change your licence over to a UK one BUT that won't effect you coz ya not staying, And Most American Troops that stay here Drive using their US Licence's so you should be fine,

outwestbound

Observer
CoooooL,

You can get an EU Licence over here which covers just about every part of the EU and the UK AND In the UK they give you about 6 months to change your licence over to a UK one BUT that won't effect you coz ya not staying, And Most American Troops that stay here Drive using their US Licence's so you should be fine,

It's something I have to figure out when I'm ready. My old notes indicate that I can drive in Europe on my US license for ONLY 6 months. Many people said to just blow that off and stay as long as I want. I'm at a place in my life where it's essential that I know the legal consequences of ignoring formalities, like laws, rules and regulations. I don't care if I lose the rig, but my concern is always legal liability leading to a loss of my US assets. And "having" insurance, does not mean the insurance company will pay out, if the insured violates the contract. This is how it is in the US. Liability here is horrendous and litigation everywhere, especially against those with something to loose. In your comment above, I read that as "residency" complicating the situation, which it does. Residency also has income tax consequences. Residency comes into play with the option to do a 1 year visa in France. I'll hire counsel to help figure out the important details, so I can identify and measure the risks, and hopefully insure them in an enforceable way. My goal is to ship over there and pretty much do whatever I want for 12-14 months.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
It's something I have to figure out when I'm ready. My old notes indicate that I can drive in Europe on my US license for ONLY 6 months. Many people said to just blow that off and stay as long as I want. I'm at a place in my life where it's essential that I know the legal consequences of ignoring formalities, like laws, rules and regulations. I don't care if I lose the rig, but my concern is always legal liability leading to a loss of my US assets. And "having" insurance, does not mean the insurance company will pay out, if the insured violates the contract. This is how it is in the US. Liability here is horrendous and litigation everywhere, especially against those with something to loose. In your comment above, I read that as "residency" complicating the situation, which it does. Residency also has income tax consequences. Residency comes into play with the option to do a 1 year visa in France. I'll hire counsel to help figure out the important details, so I can identify and measure the risks, and hopefully insure them in an enforceable way. My goal is to ship over there and pretty much do whatever I want for 12-14 months.
Well be careful in the UK and Europe because there is a Culture of Crash for CASH, where they will cause you to run in to them and then claim big Bucks on Your insurance and they always have a friend following you as a pretend witness who claims he saw everything and does not know the driver you hit, so fit Cameras front and rear inside the Vehicle so you have proof if this happens, This Scam is that big over here that Gangs are making a living from doing it, The Government even have a special task force to deal with these trash. So Internal Front and Rear Cameras are a Must, OK.

Last edited:

john61ct

Adventurer
Every country afaik requires you get a local DL once you've been there a while, six months is actually a long time.

outwestbound

Observer
Every country afaik requires you get a local DL once you've been there a while, six months is actually a long time.

Agreed. The context is tourism in many countries with the intent to reside in none. I think tourists (in vehicles) get 6 months. The rules were hard to apply, because one who ships a vehicle to Europe is the odd ball, or crazy. One of the issues wit the French visa was being deemed a resident for income tax purposes. The final choice will be whatever is the least bad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior