Recommendation please: 15-30 amp, portable, universal, auto ranging charger

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Agreed. The context is tourism in many countries with the intent to reside in none. I think tourists (in vehicles) get 6 months. The rules were hard to apply, because one who ships a vehicle to Europe is the odd ball, or crazy. One of the issues wit the French visa was being deemed a resident for income tax purposes. The final choice will be whatever is the least bad.
LOL, That's easy, Bypass France ?‍♂️ at Norway ☃ get the Ferry to Scotland and or Ireland " Beautiful Place" ?? then get over to England/Scotland and Wales and then over to Spain and keep going South,, Happy Days ? ?

luthj

Engineer In Residence
The Particular protection unit mentioned will also protect against a voltage surge between the line and neutral. In Cases like that it will act as a short circuit causing the breaker to trip.

You would want to mount the unit in the area where you can occasionally glance at it to confirm is still working. As the LED will illuminate if it is still functioning.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
The Particular protection unit mentioned will also protect against a voltage surge between the line and neutral. In Cases like that it will act as a short circuit causing the breaker to trip.

You would want to mount the unit in the area where you can occasionally glance at it to confirm is still working. As the LED will illuminate if it is still functioning.
We can also buy test plugs that have 3 lights on them so you can test the supply by putting the tester plug in the wall socket or extension lead etc, any one can buy them and I also have a Volt pen that you just have to put near the wall or socket to see if there is power there or not, I like having this stuff because I have often worked in places where the power was meant to have been switched off only to find old wiring from the 1900s that was still live,

It's a shame all our plugs are not the same because it would save a lot of worries having the right gear to check out a supply before you hook in to it.

Here you can also buy an RCD Protection doodad that you plug in to the wall and then plug you Item/Power Tool etc in to it, Over here you can't use 240V tools on a building site without using one of them, But the standard Building Site power tools are 110v which are plugged in to a 110v Transformer that weight about 30+LBS and then the transformer is plugged in to the 240v. and all Copper piping on sinks Baths and showers have to be earthed also. as do metal bathtubs etc and Campers and Caravans/Camping Trailers are also earthed. they are nuts about it but it is almost impossible to get a shock over here unless you do it on purpose.

john61ct

Adventurer
surge protector only works if it has a proper earth connection
Which in a mobile use case, only exists when plugged into shore power, and then only if those circuits have been installed "properly" which is rare enough even in a first-world context.

outwestbound

Observer
Thanks for the comments. This is the side wall of my shore power compartment. Somebody told me to omit the J-box and see if that connection can be made in the breaker box. I'll see if that works out. I'm going to figure out the best way to check shore power with my meters. My strategy is to NEVER plug my motorhome into shore power. I'll only plug it into this connection shown in the attached, which powers a Sterling PCU1240 universal, global charger.

Attachments

• 190605 2 of 4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz