Recommendation for a <$200 camp BBQ?

SBSYNCRO

I use a Scottle and Coleman for my stovetops. A baby Weber or hibachi would work as a compact charcoal grill. I can't imagine any way to bring a BBQ along - maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain carried in a trailer.

Yea prior to acquiring my Turtleback trailer, I've just relied on an old Pyromid folding charcoal/wood BBQ (14") but its a bit of a hassle to set up, light, and control temps on. I now have extra space so I'm going to allow myself the luxury of a propane BBQ (which I have NEVER owned in my lifetime).

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
After many years and many different configurations the Weber Q grill has been the best all around. If we don't have fire restrictions ( seldom) Weber Smokey joe

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
So I don’t have any experience with the cooking platforms you’ve listed, but...

I do have extensive experience with the Genesis Basecamp by JetBoil.

it seems to meet all/most of the criteria you are looking for. It is extremely compact, the dual burners are more adjustable than most stick and brick home stoves, and it is designed to be used at altitude.

Might want to take a look.View attachment 627648
How is it with grilling steaks?

rover rob

I use my Volcano all the time when I go out. It is perfect for two, and I've cooked for 4 on it before. It collapses down to about a 22"x 10" disk. I pretty much always use it with Propane- with the BBQ size tank. As a propane campfire, it's a flame. That's about it - but with propane it meets Stage I restrictions. I haven't tried it with wood or charcoal, but I bet it would be nice. (I'm gonna have to give that a whirl) I've tried a variety of other portable grills that I purchased at Costco, and was never happy with the single-purpose and performance. I've had my Volcano a couple of years now and it's holding up well - except for the canvas bag. The stitching is coming out of the fabric handles where they attach to the bag. One modification I have made is to re-purpose a large, aluminum Wok lid to work as a cover. It's perfect for when you need to retain the heat.

Cons: Weight, it's not light. Hard to clean. Carry Bag is poorly constructed.

Pro's: Quality construction, heavy duty. Options for different fuels, also can be used as a smoker.
i love mine, get the middle rack if you buy this as it gives the ability to use charcoal closer to the top grate. best money I ever spent on a grill

SBSYNCRO

So the Volcano was sold out over the holidays, so I ended up getting a Napolean Travel Q 285 for Christmas. It really works extremely well and its so easy to use I'm even using it at home instead of firing up the Weber Performer charcoal grill (that I have used exclusively for over 20 years). It clasps shut and folds up (which makes it better for my purpose than the Weber Q, but it's still not as compact as the Volcano. Though I do question the performance of the Volcano as a propane BBQ with that single stove-type burner in the center. (is there a flame diffuser/spreader?).

rover rob

yes it has a heavy steel diffuser plate . honestly I use the grates with lump charcoal more than the propane. with the hood it makes a great little smoker.

SBSYNCRO

Thanks for that clarification. Going back to my original post, I really was just looking for a good propane grill (already have several small portable charcoal grills that I really like). Sounds like the Volcano 3 is. very versatile, but better as a wood/charcoal grill than propane. Thanks again

4000lbsOfGoat

While I am also a big fan of the Weber Q grills, they just aren't convenient for transport. I leave the Q at home and travel with a Primus Kuchoma. It's packs down nicely and goes into it's own bag to contain mess and smells. It's probably not *quite* comparable to a Q in terms of grilling ability but it's darn good for a lightweight, compact grill. Primus products have always been good to me.

kuchoma.jpg

snowfiend

bumping this for new gas options. It's been 3 straight years of open flame only with shut-off restrictions at our main camp spots (no wood/charcoal, no campfires) and I need something to supplement the ol' coleman 2 burner stove. Really need a good way to cook smores without a campfire!

EDIT: after poking around online I found an open box Napoleon TravelQ 285 with griddle for $162 on Amazon. Figured it was worth a shot since retail is $379 and if it's not as described I can just send it back.

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

bumping this for new gas options. It's been 3 straight years of open flame only with shut-off restrictions at our main camp spots (no wood/charcoal, no campfires) and I need something to supplement the ol' coleman 2 burner stove. Really need a good way to cook smores without a campfire!

EDIT: after poking around online I found an open box Napoleon TravelQ 285 with griddle for $162 on Amazon. Figured it was worth a shot since retail is $379 and if it's not as described I can just send it back.

I have one and it is a really good grill, but I determined that it is too large and bulky for vehicular travel (and I pull a small trailer with my Jeep). I am now on the hunt for something smaller, lighter, and more compact. I do use the Napoleon at home a lot (in fact I did chicken last night) when I am too lazy to light the charcoal Weber Performer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles