Recommendation for a <$200 camp BBQ?

SBSYNCRO

I'm looking for a propane BBQ to go with my new trailer. Its not a big trailer so I need something compact. Here's my general set of requirements:

• Compact size - maybe folding legs?
  • Propane - ability to run off 5 lb tank w/ adapter hose
  • Ability to get hot enough for a good char/sear, but able to dial it back to cook chicken/ribs
  • Flame BBQ - not a griddle/flat top (like skottle). If its convertible to a griddle, great, but most important is the BBQ
  • Max 4 people, but usually just 1 to 2 people

Some possible contenders I'm looking at:

Napoleon TravelQ TQ2225PO

Pit Boss Grills 75275 Stainless Steel Two-Burner Portable Grill

Char-Broil TRU-Infrared Portable Grill2Go Gas Grill

Coleman Road Trip

Does anyone have experience with any of these, or other recommendations?

ChasingOurTrunks

I used a much earlier (and slightly bigger) version of the Coleman Road Trip for quite a few years and loved it. Never had any complaints at all about the product and like most Coleman stuff, it was pretty bulletproof. I cooked hundreds of meals on that thing for myself and others, and frankly I kind of miss it! I gifted it when I moved provinces intending to replace it. I eventually did, and I was impressed with this option from Costco; I've since re-gifted it to another friend but it works great:

But, I eventually abandoned both grills for overlanding due to the space limitations in the car, and instead bought a cast iron griddle/grill pan from Cabelas:

it fits fairly well right on top of my Coleman stove, so I can modulate heat that way but still have grilled food.

SBSYNCRO

Check out the Volcano 3 multi fuel grill.

Hmm! Hadn't seen that one. Looks well made. How is the performance on propane? I like the versatility of using wood, and even using it as a small campfire ring...

I used a much earlier (and slightly bigger) version of the Coleman Road Trip for quite a few years and loved it. Never had any complaints at all about the product and like most Coleman stuff, it was pretty bulletproof. I cooked hundreds of meals on that thing for myself and others, and frankly I kind of miss it! I gifted it when I moved provinces intending to replace it. I eventually did, and I was impressed with this option from Costco; I've since re-gifted it to another friend but it works great:

But, I eventually abandoned both grills for overlanding due to the space limitations in the car, and instead bought a cast iron griddle/grill pan from Cabelas:

I've used a griddle on coleman stove for years - I'm actually going in the opposite direction from you. :) My goal is to have the ability to quickly sear/char (aka "flame broil") meats and veggies and a griddle just doesn't quite do it. That Costco unit looks interesting. It looks like it comes from the same factory in China as the Pit Boss.

WeLikeCamping

Explorer
Hmm! Hadn't seen that one. Looks well made. How is the performance on propane? I like the versatility of using wood, and even using it as a small campfire ring...

I've used a griddle on coleman stove for years - I'm actually going in the opposite direction from you. :) My goal is to have the ability to quickly sear/char (aka "flame broil") meats and veggies and a griddle just doesn't quite do it. That Costco unit looks interesting. It looks like it comes from the same factory in China as the Pit Boss.

I use my Volcano all the time when I go out. It is perfect for two, and I've cooked for 4 on it before. It collapses down to about a 22"x 10" disk. I pretty much always use it with Propane- with the BBQ size tank. As a propane campfire, it's a flame. That's about it - but with propane it meets Stage I restrictions. I haven't tried it with wood or charcoal, but I bet it would be nice. (I'm gonna have to give that a whirl) I've tried a variety of other portable grills that I purchased at Costco, and was never happy with the single-purpose and performance. I've had my Volcano a couple of years now and it's holding up well - except for the canvas bag. The stitching is coming out of the fabric handles where they attach to the bag. One modification I have made is to re-purpose a large, aluminum Wok lid to work as a cover. It's perfect for when you need to retain the heat.

Cons: Weight, it's not light. Hard to clean. Carry Bag is poorly constructed.

Pro's: Quality construction, heavy duty. Options for different fuels, also can be used as a smoker.

Last edited:

Hourless Life

So I don’t have any experience with the cooking platforms you’ve listed, but...

I do have extensive experience with the Genesis Basecamp by JetBoil.

it seems to meet all/most of the criteria you are looking for. It is extremely compact, the dual burners are more adjustable than most stick and brick home stoves, and it is designed to be used at altitude.

Might want to take a look.D2567285-E769-41ED-9984-7439071C8A7C.jpeg

Reactions: WVI

dcg141

Adventurer
I have had one of the Q grills for several years and really like it. Its the same as the Napoleon. Cooks great and I like the design. Would buy another one.

CCH

Adventurer
Over thirty years ago, I bought a Weber Go Anywhere Grill for a dollar at a garage sale. Cleaned it up and found it needed a new igniter. Weber sent me one at no charge. Used it for years and then it suffered through a roll over in my dad’s truck. A little time at a bench vice and it was back in service. My dog gnawed the handles, so I had to blow $15 on new ones. All that time and regular use and it is still going.

I keep thinking I want something fancier, but it has truly been “old reliable” and does a great job on steaks if I do my part. Just can’t justify spending more. Have souped it up with a remote thermometer and that helps tremendously.

Reactions: WVI

SBSYNCRO

I use my Volcano all the time when I go out. It is perfect for two, and I've cooked for 4 on it before. It collapses down to about a 22"x 10" disk. I pretty much always use it with Propane- with the BBQ size tank.

Love the look of it. Sounds like its on back order until late January...

So I don’t have any experience with the cooking platforms you’ve listed, but...

I do have extensive experience with the Genesis Basecamp by JetBoil.

it seems to meet all/most of the criteria you are looking for. It is extremely compact, the dual burners are more adjustable than most stick and brick home stoves, and it is designed to be used at altitude.

Its more of a two-burner stove, right? I'm looking for a BBQ...

Over thirty years ago, I bought a Weber Go Anywhere Grill for a dollar at a garage sale.

Those are the rectangular box ones, right? Seems like a really good no-frills option...

Hourless Life

It is. When we want to grill something we typically toss a cast iron griddle one side, grate the other over the two burners. Works well for us, and maintains a very small footprint. But I hear you, if it's not what you're looking for, it just isn't it.

All the best in your search!

Eric

SBSYNCRO

It is. When we want to grill something we typically toss a cast iron griddle one side, grate the other over the two burners. Works well for us, and maintains a very small footprint. But I hear you, if it's not what you're looking for, it just isn't it.

All the best in your search!

Eric

Thanks! If I didn’t already have a Cook Partner 2-burner and Griddle I’d seriously consider the jet boil for its compactness. But I’ve got the stove & griddle so now just need a BBQ to live my outdoor culinary fantasies... :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCH

Adventurer
Love the look of it. Sounds like its on back order until late January...

Those are the rectangular box ones, right? Seems like a really good no-frills option...

Yes, black enamel box with one long burner.

gringo m

Observer
Very happy with my Weber Q 1200. I even leave it set up on the back patio for when I feel lazy and don't want to fire up the Weber Kettle.

JPOVS

I’ve been happy with my Holland Companion grill. No longer made but still can find them on eBay. Much better than others that are listed. It costs a couple bucks more, but well worth it.

Old Tanker

I use a Scottle and Coleman for my stovetops. A baby Weber or hibachi would work as a compact charcoal grill. I can't imagine any way to bring a BBQ along - maybe a Weber Smokey Mountain carried in a trailer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles