Recommendation for 2M mobile radio and antennas

awalter

Expedition Portal Team, Overland Certified OC0003
I run an ICOM (model?) 55 watt with a Larsen roof mount whip antenna 48"

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
pskhaat said:
FWIW, my rig's a Yaesu 8900 quad bander.

What do you think of the 8900? I am a fan of the 8800 dual band and was wondering if you give up anything on 2M with the quad band unit?

Also, what antenna are you running?

Pete

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
mountainpete said:
What do you think of the 8900? I am a fan of the 8800 dual band and was wondering if you give up anything on 2M with the quad band unit?

I like it. As per my earlier post, I enjoy 6m FM. The only complaint I have is the complexity, it's okay if you get used to it, but if I havn't had a QSO in a while I almost forget all the keys to make things work (like CTCSS/DSC, offset changes, etc).

I run a Diamond 8900 antenna (made for the rig). I've had absolutely no issues and have good signal reports. It has respectable gain on 2m/70cm due to its stacked design. That antenna really does require a very good ground plane for performance though. The ARB bar is not really adequate for it. On my lip mount on my commuter car its amazing though.

The two radios are awesome while scanning on one side and calling on the other as well as the x-band repeater though I havn't really played around with it much.

Regardless of brand what I like best is a remote head unit. Makes things so simple for installation (albeit $$$).

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Thanks Scott :luxhello:

Interesting that you said the ARB bumper is a poor ground plane... Do you think it's just that particular antenna?

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
mountainpete said:
Interesting that you said the ARB bumper is a poor ground plane... Do you think it's just that particular antenna?

Actually my impression is that the ARB bar is not a good ground plane period :( for any RF. I honestly wish it was because it is so darn convenient! I've only had my Diamond 8900 on it, but dozens of CB antennae and I've noticed the very same thing that performance is degraded.

Though there is a mass of metal, all the curves, angles, rounds, bends etc don't lend themselves very well to the other side of the 1/4 wave emission. The lip mounts (on hood, lift gate) and other areas are MUCH better. My SWR is always within acceptable low range, but empircally speaking, my range is 3-4x when using a lip mount than the ARB bar. I would guess that a proper through-roof NMO mount would perform even better. But I'm a pansy and find it hard to drill into expensive sheet metal :(

GeoRoss

Adventurer
This is a very timely thread for me. I am signed up to test on 1/5/06 :gunt:

I have no idea what I am going to get though and stay in budget. I am also saving up for a touchscreen computer screen for the LC. What to get screen for the nav system or a radio? Decisions.

Ross

k6uk

Adventurer
Bumpers and Ground Planes

It's important that bumpers are properly grounded to the frame if you are looking for them to work well as an antenna mount. A lot of the time a bumper installation will involve painted adapters leaving the bumper somewhat isolated from the rest of the vehicle grounding system. Using copper grounding straps will help, make sure that ground connections are direct metal to metal connections.

-Mike

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Another great thread...

I got my ticket last month, I picked up a Kenwood hand-held just before Christmas and have really been catching the HAM bug. There are several very active HAM groups here in the SLC, in addition to our local Cruiser club which touts ~ 50% HAM members, I have been missing out all this time.

I chose a hand-helf for my first radio for several reasons...

1. Cost, they are much cheaper, and too be honest I wasn't sure I would ever use it or get into "hamming". I fully intend to get into a nice mobile setup (or two), but I wanted to get to know the HAM system and other hammers before I jump into an expensive HAM unit. Threads like this have been EXTREMELY helpful in my planning. :clapsmile

2. You can always use a good hand-held. Hiking, biking, etc, it makes sense...

I truly think every off-roader should get a HAM, the distance they are able to conquer is second to none, and in many places (such as Southern/Western Utah), cell phone coverage is non-existant, and CB radios won't handle the terrain.

Another great thread... :D

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I need access to frequencies 155-174 MHz for my SAR communications, anyone using an Icom IC-F521?
ic-f520_ic-f620.jpg

Icom IC-F521

or the IC-F1721
Icom IC-F1721

ic-f1721_f2721_hm.jpg

Last edited:

UncleChris

Adventurer
I just picked up a Yaesu FT8800R for the daily driver.

Although I have been using Kenwoods, I picked up a Yaesu Vx7r last fall because it is waterproof(I usually talk to friends while walking the dog in the morning and wanted to continue doing so in the rain!)

My daily commute is usually interspersed with a lot of interference and weak signals. A friend suggested the the Yaesu units tend to have better reception of weak signals and are better at isolating from interference.

Although I am currently using a magmount, the reception is better than the Kenwood, and I can have longer QSOs on the commute.

The ui is different than the kenwood in that it is not a menu driven hierarchy, it is flat.(40 choices(?) at the root instead of 4 in the kenwood)

The sound of the Yaesu is not as warm as the Kenwood, and it does not have the APRS capabilities, although it does have tnc.

Will let you know when I finally drill a hole in the roof and put on a real antenna.

offroad_nomad said:
I need access to frequencies 155-174 MHz for my SAR communications, anyone using an Icom IC-F521?

Do you need these for listening or 2way? Would this be covered by a MARS mod?

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
2 way (transmit & receive). I inquired with a local ham radio shop near me and they said they couldn't modify radios. They directed me to www.mods.dk for help.

UncleChris said:
Do you need these for listening or 2way? Would this be covered by a MARS mod?

asteffes

Explorer
MARS/CAP mods are usually very simple. Typically you just remove a resistor or two. Thing is, it's not legal without the appropriate paperwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke