Recommendation for 2M mobile radio and antennas

Desertdude

Expedition Leader
I have read through all the threads and have a searched google on a few units - just wondering what the consensus is? What units and antennas are being used with success?

I figure I can always listen in until I get a license this winter :ylsmoke:

I all ready have a CB - and want to be in on the long range conversations ;)

this one came up

http://www.icomamerica.com/products/amateur/2100h/

:::

Scott Brady

Founder
The yaesu 2800m gets my vote for durability. HD mil spec unit. Large aluminum heat fins eliminate requirement for fan.

Icom units get great reviews too, and I believe they may have the most output power.

I am using a larsen antenna with a larsen hood mount. I have always received the highest marks from my travel companions for sound quality and range.

Suty

Adventurer
DD, I too have been looking into the 2m radios. I liked the Icom 208h but was told Icom was not to user friendly. I have looked at the Kenwood G707 it seems to be a good unit also. I just don't know what is the better. I want one that I can seperate the Faceplate from the radio, so i can remote mount the unit. Since I am not 2m smart I have been debating the issue. I found a place here in texas that seems to have good prices, texastowers.com It would be nice to get some opinions from those who know morw about this.. Tu Compadres, Suty

Last edited:

goodtimes

Expedition Poseur
I am running a v-8000 (icom). 75 watts....it will reach out and touch someone. Like Scott, I am using a Larsen antenna hanging off the right side of my windshield frame. The only problem I have is hearing transmissions when I am moving. This has more to do with the road noise from the jeep than the radio itself. A external speaker would probably help....

asteffes

Explorer
I like a dual-band rig for the flexibility of access to 440MHz repeaters. There's a nice linked repeater system in California that is all 440. Most dual-banders can also be modified for transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies at full power (for emergency use only, of course.)

I guess I'm not convinced that 75 watts can do much more than 50 can. Granted, if you're interested in only 2M, the V8000 is a good choice, as you get the front-firing speaker and generally good features for around $200. For not much more, I would choose a dual-band 50/35 watt rig for the added flexibility. To each his own.

I've owned a Kenwood TM-V7A and an Icom 2720H dual-band rigs. I *love* Kenwood's UI and easy-to-understand manual and menus. I *hate* the Icom 2720H's menus and the documentation is terrible. Also, the display is very difficult to read from the left, as it was designed with right-hand-drive European and Japanese cars in mind. I will be purchasing a Kenwood rig for my '06, hands down.

Last edited:

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
I have the ICOM V8000, it's a nice unit and very dependable from what I've read about it. I'm running a Hustler SF-2 whip antenna on a fender mount. I would have liked to have gotten a dual band radio, but I couldn't afford it at the time. Still can't.

UncleChris

Adventurer
I have a Kenwood D700a dual band with APRS capability along with a Diamond CR320 NMO mount antenna on the roof with a Garmin 276c GPS hooked in to the system.

It is a great setup and will do APRS(position reporting) broadcasts and receives. For tracking others on the trail or in the backcountry, I would highly recommend the APRS functions.

I use both 2m and 70cm equally as much.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
mcvickoffroad said:
What are the two bands covered by a dual-band radio?

Sorry, I'm a bit slow sometimes!:confused: :confused:

2M - 144 - 148 MHZ (some regions only to 146)
60 cm - 430 - 450 MHZ (some regions only to 440)

asteffes

Explorer
mountainpete said:
2M - 144 - 148 MHZ (some regions only to 146)
60 cm - 430 - 450 MHZ (some regions only to 440)

These two bands are the most commonly used for local communications, either simplex or via repeaters. If you can spare a few extra dollars, having access to both opens up a lot of possibilities for using more repeaters, linked repeater networks, or cross-band repeater features (admittedly, usually found on only the nicer radios.) 2M is very good to have, a dual-bander is icing on the cake.

Pskhaat

2005 Expedition Trophy Champion
mcvickoffroad said:
What are the two bands covered by a dual-band radio?

Generally speaking 2m (144-148 MHz) and 70cm (430-450Mhz). Tripple band radios often include the 6m (50-54 MHz). All 3 of these bands (and others) are covered by your first-level (Tech) FCC license. I personally prefer the 6m band when off-road. You get a little benefit of having some longer distance contacts due to its frequency and yet still have the clarity and line-of-sight ability of 2+m.

Most 2m/70cm radios have sub-bands that have TX/RX offsets (these can be turned off but are on by default) for repeater use, and specify certain freq's for simplex communication (i.e. mobile-to-mobile, like CB). 6m on the other hand has very few repeaters and doesn't have programmed (by default) repeater offsets. Very few people use this band, it's very easy to switch freq's to simplex as the sub-band plans are quite inactive.

If you're going to spring the $ for the double-band, I suggest you also see if you can find a tri- or quad-band rig for a marginal cost more. It opens up some additional communication frequencies for you; I just find 6m to be a great travel band.

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
UncleChris said:
I have a Kenwood D700a dual band with APRS capability along with a Diamond CR320 NMO mount antenna on the roof with a Garmin 276c GPS hooked in to the system.

In order for this to work do both radios have to be APRS cabable? In other words will an APRS radio recieve and position any signal with in the dual band range or does the transmitting radio need to put out a special APRS signal or signature?

What a great tool for Search and Rescue!

UncleChris

Adventurer
mcvickoffroad said:
In order for this to work do both radios have to be APRS cabable? In other words will an APRS radio recieve and position any signal with in the dual band range or does the transmitting radio need to put out a special APRS signal or signature?

What a great tool for Search and Rescue!

Yes, both radios need to have APRS capability in order to encrypt/decrypt the packets, although you do not have to connect the GPS.

You can broadcast text messages as well. here is an example;

I get in the truck and turn on the radio, of which one channel is dedicated to APRS. So initially if my GPS is on, it will broadcast my position. I then see a list of stations that are currently reporting. I can browse the list of stations, and if I recognize someone, I can send them a text message. Their position will also register on my GPS screen.

They receive a notification of the message, and can open it and read it. If they choose to, they can reply via text, or if the message is saying 'I am on x freq' they can move to that frequency.

end example:

In an expedition environment, if all vehicles in the train have APRS, you can track each individual vehicle regardless of visibility conditions. You can split up and know where everybody is.

You are right about the SAR scenario. If you are in trouble out in the field, your position can be broadcast along with a message with your condition/and or state.

It can also be setup on a handheld

It is pretty cool.........there is more info on the web, I will find the link and post it.

BajaXplorer

Adventurer
I have an Icom V8000 with a Hustler SF-2 antenna on a mag mount on the roof. It is an excellent radio and the front firing speaker made mounting it much easier. Unless you are, or plan to be much of a ham radio guy, multi band radios with lots of bells and whistle are just so much "bling" and its a lot less confusing to just go with a 2m which will get you all the communications you need in 99% of situations. Better to get a sat phone than to go nuts with radios...unless your a ham guy. I will concede that having 70cm is nice, but then I'm part ham guy and also carry a W32A HT.
BX

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles