Recommend some good shocks?.

PaydayGabe

Now that the engine issue is resolved I'm on to the next phase.
Im ok with the current suspension(factory), but naturally the shocks are original.
So,, an upgrade is in order. Not OEM, and not Top shelf Bilsteins.
Something quality that has a good reputation for upgraded handling .
I've been on Rock Auto but the best they offer is KYB's. Thoughts and suggestions?? ??, G.

evomaki

Observer
In my experience, just skip the Ranchos. I've heard folks say KYB is fine. Doesn't Bilstein have a 4600 and a 5100, so there is a slightly more budget oriented model. I thought that budget one was available for the Monty, but I could be wrong. There are also the OME. These are an important enough component that you don't want to cheap out. I did so on my kids first car. I put Ranchos on his Monty. Not great. Also check out Adventure Driven Design. You are really looking for a parts store replacement part, but you might want to give ADD some consideration.

plh

Explorer
Gen 1 / Gen 2 - you will be fine with KYB Gas A Just. Gen 3 - go right to 4600 Bilsteins. KYB G-A-J really are harsh on a Gen 3. I had them on mine for a couple months, they sucked! , then redid all the work to put on Bilsteins

Last edited:

Michael Brown

You followed me, so now we're both lost
Not to steer away from the OP's question, but has anyone tried the Koni Heavy Track shocks on a Gen 3? They seem comparable in price to the Bilstein 4600 series, but I have no experience with Koni. Their Raid 90 series looks like a serious upgrade, but priced far too high for anyone not using them for competitions.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Tokicos are budget friendly and very nice (if you can find them for sale) I got mine on eBay. The Bilstein 4600's are nice too.

Now that i've experienced Kings it's pretty hard to enjoy even my Bilstein 7100's. Now i don't even know if the 5100 or 7100 are worth the money anymore, 4600's are probably the best for the money and do everything very well.

ChrisCosta416

Not to steer away from the OP's question, but has anyone tried the Koni Heavy Track shocks on a Gen 3? They seem comparable in price to the Bilstein 4600 series, but I have no experience with Koni. Their Raid 90 series looks like a serious upgrade, but priced far too high for anyone not using them for competitions.

Koni HT are great compared to the Bilsteins. They are the same model used on the jeep rubicons. RAID90s are a great upgrade as well. A middle ground for the KING shocks.

All are good suggestions. the KYB will be gruesome on the highway.
King shocks rock i wonder if i can stuff them into a gen 1 b4 i get my ORI program together...

PacS14

Adventurer
I have KYB monomax on my Gen 2.5, and 33" BFG KO2s (no lift, no springs), I had back surgery and although I think is time they get replaced, they aren't bad on the road (Houston has plenty of potholes), and on dirt roads and washboard I've been surprised of the handling and the way they handle potholes and uneven terrain. The other cars I drive is 04 F-250 4x4 with blisteins definitely harsher due to the type or vehicle, and a 17 Armada (wife's dd) of course this one rides almost like a Cadillac. I was told by AutoZone that when I return them I can always ask to upgrade to the Blisteins which I might do along with new springs next spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94