Recommend JK adj upper CA's?

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Son's GF has a 2010 2 door JK with Teraflex 3.5". She had asked me to look at a clicking she was hearing from under the rig, turned out the CV's on driveshafts were shot. Ordered and received the Tom Woods double cardan conversion shaft. Now I need to dial in the pinion.

I had been an RE fan till sometime around the sale of the co, I don't want a set of arms with those hourglass style bushings after reading about routine failures. Anyone want to suggest a quality set of upper adj arms should handle forest roads and lots of interstate without needing replacement parts every year?

Kinda looking at Teraflex monster uppers. Any feedback on these or others would be appreciated.

SCARDUP

Observer
All my buddies and I have switched over to metal cloak control arms. I can endorse them with confidence. I had teraflex CA's before and I can't tell the difference in ride but the flex is substantially better.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378491178.448112.jpg

finnd1

Testudineous Dan
Big fan of rock Krawler stuff, lifetime abuse proof warrenty

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
Appreciate the feedback gents, but I spoke with my son last night and he said he ordered a set of arms. I didn't ask but believe he went with the Tera Monsters, i'll update with my thoughts on them once I install.

Not really worry'n about flex on this rig, it's a Mallcrawler and occasional forest road rig.. but it needed adjustables to eliminate vibes.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
There is so much junk on the market but if you read the web you would think its the best. I think the only suspension companies that have ever delighted me are Deaver and Clayton. Buy, install and never touch it again.

OverlandZJ

Expedition Leader
I had checked Claytons short arms before I found out my son ordered already.. I think I would have gone that route considering how happy I am with my kit.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I'm looking at metalcloak arms right now as well. On my four door with 3.5" lift, my rear pinion with stock arms is within 1 degree of the driveshaft angle with my Tom woods rear driveshaft. Some minor vibrations appear from the rear driveshaft at 60-70mph under load, probably from slop in the factory control arm bushings? So I'm thinking of new control arms and angling the pinion down just slightly so it rotates up under load.

In the front I have the aev brackets, which gives me 4.2 degrees of caster and still have a 5 degree split between the pinion angle and driveshaft angle with the dual cardan front shaft.
However for about 16k miles the front driveshaft was perfectly smooth. It recently developed terrible vibration at 60-70 and I had to remove it. I sent it back to Tom, he inspected it and rebalanced it. No issues he could see. I removed the yokes (again), cleaned, inspected, reinstalled and while its slightly better, the vibration is back.
So just a heads up I guess. I'm going to see if I can rotate the pinion up 1 more degree without destroying handling and see if it helps. Otherwise I'm still fighting high speed driveline vibration problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles