Recommend good chains for Crawler 235/85R16 MT - Disco 2

TRIARII

Adventurer
Im looking to buy some good tire chains for my Disco 2. Im running Crawler 235/85R16 MT's. I want something that is easy to install and durable enough to be used multiple times. I want these chains for the upcoming Winter Romp event and I want them in my truck for my Alaska trip later this year to. I found a site called: Tirechain http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm and they have tons of options. Ive never used chains before and I have no experience off-roading or anything like that "yet". Still learning the ropes. So I was hoping some of you experienced drivers who have used chains alot could offer some useful advice that can help me narrow down all the options so its easier for me to pick something.

Thanks so much

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
I just got a set of four from tirechain.com and they were great to deal with - talked with them on the phone as I had no idea what I was looking for either. I've got Mud Terrain's on an 80 series Land Cruiser and ended up going with these: http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm
Looking for stuff to use both on and off road and with Mud Terrain's the V Bar seems to be the best option. The description on the site says 'not for use on the road' but in talking with them at tirechain.com they cleared up that means not to use in your driveway lol. The chains arrived promptly and I fitted them and they all look great. Now just need some snow in So Cal! :smiley_drive:

TRIARII

Adventurer
I just got a set of four from tirechain.com and they were great to deal with - talked with them on the phone as I had no idea what I was looking for either. I've got Mud Terrain's on an 80 series Land Cruiser and ended up going with these: http://www.tirechain.com/VBAR.htm
Looking for stuff to use both on and off road and with Mud Terrain's the V Bar seems to be the best option. The description on the site says 'not for use on the road' but in talking with them at tirechain.com they cleared up that means not to use in your driveway lol. The chains arrived promptly and I fitted them and they all look great. Now just need some snow in So Cal! :smiley_drive:

Thank you! Their website is low budget so I was skeptical but if you had a great experience with them then that prompts me to give them a call. Thank you!

Do you guys get much snow in southern California? I half assumed Cali does not get any snow, but Ive never been there either. I live in southern New Hampshire and we to are waiting for some serious snow.

leucadiacruiser

Beach N Toys Chapter TLCA
Ha - Our local mountains get some - not like you guys - I lived in Salem, MA until the Blizzard of '78 and my mom told my dad to get her out of there. Been on the west coast ever since.

TRIARII

Adventurer
Ha - Our local mountains get some - not like you guys - I lived in Salem, MA until the Blizzard of '78 and my mom told my dad to get her out of there. Been on the west coast ever since.

That bad? haha 78 was before my time but I do like bad storms. Always exciting and epic adventure driving through a storm, thick snow etc.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Im looking to buy some good tire chains for my Disco 2. Im running Crawler 235/85R16 MT's. I want something that is easy to install and durable enough to be used multiple times. I want these chains for the upcoming Winter Romp event and I want them in my truck for my Alaska trip later this year to. I found a site called: Tirechain http://www.tirechain.com/DIAMONDSTYLECARCHAINS.htm and they have tons of options. Ive never used chains before and I have no experience off-roading or anything like that "yet". Still learning the ropes. So I was hoping some of you experienced drivers who have used chains alot could offer some useful advice that can help me narrow down all the options so its easier for me to pick something.

Thanks so much

I'll sell you a set. I ran 235/85s on my old Frontier. They are the V-Bar style chains. Quik-Grip is the brand I think. Could be wrong. I'll double check later. They worked a treat up in the mountains last year!

TRIARII

Adventurer
I'll sell you a set. I ran 235/85s on my old Frontier. They are the V-Bar style chains. Quik-Grip is the brand I think. Could be wrong. I'll double check later. They worked a treat up in the mountains last year!

Probably have to wait until payday but how much shipped to Somersworth NH 03878? Is it a complete front and rear set or just front?

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Probably have to wait until payday but how much shipped to Somersworth NH 03878? Is it a complete front and rear set or just front?

Complete set. I'll check on shipping them, I may be able to stuff them in a priority mail box. They don't come with tensioners, I just always used EPDM rubber tarp straps.

TRIARII

Adventurer
Let me know how much and if the price is good Ill probably buy them from you. Please explain the tensioners as Ive never used chains before.

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Let me know how much and if the price is good Ill probably buy them from you. Please explain the tensioners as Ive never used chains before.

Tensioners are the devices that add tension to the chains and hold them to the tires. Like I said, I just used rubber tarp straps and that worked pretty well.

Well, they're usually about $90 a set, so let's say $150 shipped.

TRIARII

Adventurer
im still interested but will have to hold off a couple weeks so if you still have them when Im ready then Ill buy them. Would have bought them off you last week but did not hear back from you in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke