Recommend best places to basecamp in Baja and ride loops

T.Low

Expedition Leader
We are planning to go to Baja in the fall, probably to watch some of the 1000 race, then base camp and ride loops. We will probably move base camp a few times.

We have midsized dual sports; three of us with a DRZ 400, a GasGas fse450, and a Husaberg fe550. The GG and the 'berg are definitely not great pavement bikes. We are thinking we'd prefer to haul them from Washington state down to Baja, then camp in the pop top van (with exterior shower) and probably a pickup camper , and ride loops from camp. Get to know an area, then move on to another. Preferable to camp on the beach, and ride from there.

Any recommendations on spots that best fit this idea?

Another option is to drop the van at Herbies house in San Diego and ride down from there, but that just seems like way too much asphalt. Oh, and Herbie doesn't know about this option yet.

Wouldn't mind ending up in Cabo just to have driven the van all the way north to land's end on BC's Sunshine Coast (4wheeling to the waters edge at Sarah Point, and all the way south to land's end at the southern tip of Baja. Whatever. I'm a dork like that.:sombrero:

Any ideas? Will also post question on advrider, just not sure where to post it yet.

Thanks

805gregg

Adventurer
Bay of LA or Bahia Concepcion would be my choice to camp. You won't be driving to lands end unless you have an amphibious car. Cabo is over rated, I'd skip it unless you like buying crack on the malicon and strip bars.

willy-b

Pete's camp in San Felipe is a great spot to camp. They have a cantina,hot showers and camping on the beach.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Thnaks for the great replies. I'll put the info into the mix. And maybe skip the Cabo leg as buying crack doesn't seem to be on my to do list anywhere.

Beach camping near showers and a cantina with good riding is pretty much the entire to do list.:ylsmoke:

805gregg

Adventurer
Beach camping with showers might be a problem, take sun showers and lots of water. Cabo is over, my favorite trip there was in 1973. Nothing there, 2 hotels and a fish processing plant. Recently, I helped deliver a boat there and was offered cocaine and crack pipes right on the malecon as cruise ship passengers walked by. Then a couple started smoking crack right there. I spent two weeks in Baja with my wife we went as far as Todos Santos (45 min to Cabo) for the art work, and went back to La Paz (nice town).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz