Recommend a helmet

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I haven't rode a bicycle in over 20 years, and that was a bmx style bike. I am getting a new Trek x-caliber 9, what is a decent helmet? For now I will be riding on blacktop thru my neighborhood trying to work up my comfort level on the bike before I hit the dirt.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Its mainly by fit. They are like shoes today. Each brand has a little different style fit/shape. Stick with the main brands with the rated sticker. My only tip get a lighter colored one. Lots of flat black helmets out there which are hot, show scratches easily and do not increase your visibility footprint to drivers.

fortel

Adventurer
I agree with calicamper, try 'em on and see what feels good to your head. Lots of good choices these days. I ended up with two helmets, both Specialized, for no other reason than out of the choices at the LBS they fit and felt good for my noggin. My mtb helmet has a visor and is a little beefier than the helmet I ride road/gravel with. Had a Gyro I liked before that but cracked the foam several years ago when I went down hard in a loose corner.

jayspies

Adventurer
I just bought a Giro Hex, and aside from being good helmets, they have a ratcheting clamp system in the back at the base of your skull that you turn to fine-tune the fit. It is by far the best fitting helmet I have yet used. But like others have said, going and trying on a few is really the only way to get a feel for how they will fit you.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I've just got to try them on. I have a funky shaped big head. Ball caps only fit if they are extended out to the last hole on my head.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I am a helmet junkie with a closet full of them. There are so many nice lids out there it is hard to go wrong but it is wise to try them on. Do so with your favorite riding sunglasses to make sure they are compatible and don't skimp on a cheap helmet as it will likely not vent or fit as well, but there is no need to break the bank. $75-85 will get you a nice helmet.

Just as an aside, my good friend, former world champion and legend of cycling going back to the 80s is in ICU today as a result of a bike crash and no helmet. Very sad.

MudderNutter

Adventurer
I've just got to try them on. I have a funky shaped big head. Ball caps only fit if they are extended out to the last hole on my head.

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I have the exact same problem with my head! Biking helmets either cater to "round" heads, or "oval". My head is definitely oval (long front to back, not some Hey Arnold type situation). Most Giro helmets in the largest size fit me well. The largest size Scotts also fit well. I have a Giro helmet for XC now, but am currently in the market for a helmet with more protection for the mountains. I tried on the Scott Stego last weekend and was really digging it. If you want to have the best protection (not a bad idea at any skill level) get a helmet that is Mips rated. You can get a good deal on a Bell Super 2 Mips helmet... I haven't had the chance to try one out yet, but definitely will when I have the opportunity.

http://www.backcountry.com/bell-sup...gclid=CMOJvsj--M8CFYY2gQodRooNTg&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/2276405440008/SCOTT-Stego-Helmet

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I have the exact same problem with my head! Biking helmets either cater to "round" heads, or "oval". My head is definitely oval (long front to back, not some Hey Arnold type situation). Most Giro helmets in the largest size fit me well. The largest size Scotts also fit well. I have a Giro helmet for XC now, but am currently in the market for a helmet with more protection for the mountains. I tried on the Scott Stego last weekend and was really digging it. If you want to have the best protection (not a bad idea at any skill level) get a helmet that is Mips rated. You can get a good deal on a Bell Super 2 Mips helmet... I haven't had the chance to try one out yet, but definitely will when I have the opportunity.

http://www.backcountry.com/bell-sup...gclid=CMOJvsj--M8CFYY2gQodRooNTg&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/products/2276405440008/SCOTT-Stego-Helmet

Thanks for the tips. Most headwear sits way high on my head, I was looking at Giro timberwolf online, mainly because it would give me some more side protection because of my odd head shape. But I was worried it would get hot. Hopefully tomorrow I can go try some on, my bike gets here Monday!

Co-opski

Expedition Leader

So I'm shopping for a helmet and I found one that I like but it is offered in MIPS and without. Having MIPS is $40 more and the guy at the bike shop didn't have much to say on MIPS added protection.

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I'm not sure what happened to the Bikepacking article on bike helmets that Christophe wrote went. I cannot find it and looks to be removed from ExPo.

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
So I'm that guy. The newbie amateur that knows nothing about bikes, on my third ride about 3 miles from home and I get a flat. Hell I don't even know how to put air in these tires... time to do some shopping it looks like lol. Any recommendations on a pump setup? Is it normal to carry some sort of trail repair kit?? What do you call the funky bleeder valve stem deal? A quick amazon search brings up the word presta??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94