Recommend a great, not just good, first aid kit.

dbhost

It's been years since there was a problem off grid with any of our group, but it happens... And I am going over my first aid kit realizing something critically important...

The various medications are VERY old. Nobody needs to be taking 12 year old Benadryl.

The tape is no longer sticky.

Bandages have been dwindled down.

To sum it up, pretty much all I have left of any real use is gauze, and ace bandages.

So it's time to replace first aid kits, not just in my camping gear, but the one kept in the truck, and most likely the one in the car...

So what would be a great, not just good, but a great, won't leave me needing anything for first aid kit?

Mind you, I have no problems whatsoever buying a kit bag, and the pieces. And in some ways I might be better off doing that, but what do I need?

outback97

Adventurer
I think most great kits are probably DIY.

There are some informative threads on the forum. I searched

“site:expeditionportal.com first aid kit”

and got these, just a coupe examples:

There’s also this sub forum:

jgaz

Adventurer
Check out Rescue essentials. They have about any level kit you could want.

Pick something that is suitable for your level of training.
Get on their email list and you will get all sorts of discount codes up to 20%

If you want to build your own they have a great selection of individual items.

You'll need to answer some question as far as your own situation.
Such as, how far into the back country, how long, group size, activities you engage in, do you shoot, etc.

Last edited:

nwoods

Expedition Leader
As others have said, you should plan to supplement whatever kit you find with activity specific items that may be relevant. This should include anything from EpiPens to Sam Splints, and everything in between. NOLS, the organization that provides Wilderness First Aid training, has a nice blog post about what a good kit should include. They also have a few nice compact kits for consideration.

I personally carry a modified and supplemented Adventure Medicine Sportsman 400 pack, but I was often a club trail leader with a dozen vehicles in my group. That kit is probably more than most would need. I think the Sportsman 300 is a great family kit

pith helmet

I have always put together my own and we use it at home to keep the contents in rotation. Have a smaller one in the truck for everyday. Where I live the heat and humidity can degrade the contents in a summer so I keep a check on it.

dbhost

Check out Rescue essentials. They have about any level kit you could want.

Pick something that is suitable for your level of training.
Get on their email list and you will get all sorts of discount codes up to 20%

If you want to build your own they have a great selection of individual items.

You'll need to answer some question as far as your own situation.
Such as, how far into the back country, how long, group size, activities you engage in, do you shoot, etc.

All excellent points. It should be noted that I most likely need to take a refresher course in wilderness first aid. I certified in it when I was young. As in Boy Scouts young, I am a LONG way off of that training and I am certain that things have changed over the decades. And I need to insure my wife knows how to handle proper first aid as well. I don't think she has ever had any sort of first aid training.

It might not be a bad idea to bring this up as a topic for the 4x4 club, and get a feel for interest to see if maybe we can schedule a group training for the club over a weekend or so...

dbhost

As others have said, you should plan to supplement whatever kit you find with activity specific items that may be relevant. This should include anything from EpiPens to Sam Splints, and everything in between. NOLS, the organization that provides Wilderness First Aid training, has a nice blog post about what a good kit should include. They also have a few nice compact kits for consideration.

I personally carry a modified and supplemented Adventure Medicine Sportsman 400 pack, but I was often a club trail leader with a dozen vehicles in my group. That kit is probably more than most would need. I think the Sportsman 300 is a great family kit

I have often found over the years, more than I need is typically just barely enough when it comes to off grid emergency supplies. There is almost always that one person you find off on the trail in trouble and completely unprepared. That is kind of where I am going with this thought process.

And yes, shooting / wildlife interactions are all on the offering so there is that. While I won't be 200 miles into the jungle in South America, I will be easily 50 miles away from the nearest hospital, 5+ miles along a desert trail, or 10 miles up a beach away from roads etc...

I will look into NOLS. The last first aid courses I took were specifically from the American Red Cross, and with my age, most likely before many members here were even a twinkle in their daddys eye as it were... I know I need to update, a LOT. It's funny, all the years in hunt clubs, and 4x4 clubs, nobody addressed first aid traiining. But as a kid in school, the shcool taught it, scouts taught it, pretty much everyone was teaching kids first aid. Outreach to adults however has been less than spectacular. You'd think with the risks involved, sporting goods stores and the state hunting / fishing licensing annuals would provide info on wilderness first aid courses.

Mickey Bitsko

Adventurer
Regardless how 'great ' your brand new super duper kit is , all the things you described in your first post WILL dry out and expire. 'Great ' doesn't last forever just like 'good ' kits don't last forever.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have an Adventure Medicine professional guide kit. I added some extra CATs and trauma dressings in a separate bag. According to Adventure Medicine ,the kits are good for three years.

When mine hits three years, I'll keep what I can and throw away the rest and buy a new kit.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I will look into NOLS. The last first aid courses I took were specifically from the American Red Cross, and with my age, most likely before many members here were even a twinkle in their daddys eye as it were... I know I need to update, a LOT. It's funny, all the years in hunt clubs, and 4x4 clubs, nobody addressed first aid traiining.

The 2 day Wilderness First Aid course offered by NOLS is tremendous. By far some of the best training I've ever been a part of, and that includes 4 years in the Navy. You will not regret it. They also offer a much more in-depth Wildnerss First Responder course, but the 2-day course was really good. It is the total opposite of all the urban first aid training you might have, where you learn the ABC's, starting with "Call for help". WFA assumes you are the help, and there is no other option. They focus on typical outdoor injuries from burns, high impact falls, lacerations, dehydration, heat stroke, shock, etc....

jgaz

Adventurer
The 2 day Wilderness First Aid course offered by NOLS is tremendous. By far some of the best training I've ever been a part of, and that includes 4 years in the Navy. You will not regret it. They also offer a much more in-depth Wildnerss First Responder course, but the 2-day course was really good. It is the total opposite of all the urban first aid training you might have, where you learn the ABC's, starting with "Call for help". WFA assumes you are the help, and there is no other option. They focus on typical outdoor injuries from burns, high impact falls, lacerations, dehydration, heat stroke, shock, etc....
^^^This!
Ive taken the NOLS course twice (once for recertification). Both very good, scenarios were excellent.

My last recertification was with the University of New Mexico thru their wilderness medicine school.
It was FANTASTIC training.
I liked that UNM put a lot more emphasis on large bleeders. Wound packing, tourniquets, etc.
Better snake bite and lighting strike training as well IMO.

Bailys13

Before you spend money on a kit, take a good first aid course as previously suggested. Then get a good basic kit and make sure it has room for the additional supplies to make it a great kit. Check the expiration dates on everything before you buy. Some of the “bargains” you may find may expire in a month or two.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles