Recommend a charcoal BBQ for travel

newimage

Wood Burner
Yeah but the cooking and the compact I love my Weber Smokey Joe or if its in a no fire area my Weber propane take anywhere? Grill
I also have a Ol' Pit To Go heavy but works for a firepit and a wood grill.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Volcano stove. Burns wood, charcoal, or gas. when it is in the stowage configuration is it about 8 inches tall and as round as a large pizza pan. It fits in a lot of places... can be used as a grill or as an oven with a dutch oven. Covers a lot of bases. love mine.

http://www.volcanogrills.com/

[video=youtube;1qSg-QzZINs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1qSg-QzZINs[/video]

Holy crap! They mentioned Disaster and Prepared in their video! How much money should I send them so I can feel safe again?

Seriously though, that has just enough geeky gadget-ness to it that I'm tempted. I know I'm going to fail to resist the urge to visit their website.

Kiomon

Adventurer
If you have the space, we really liked our Cobb grill, you could basically put a couple pieces of wood or charcoal in the bottom and cook for hours. They have a bunch of accessories that all pack down into the same carrying case. Its not super tiny though like the slat grills. I think it comes down to how much you think you are going to use it.

http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com

Mlachica

TheRAMadaINN on Instagram
I have a snow peak grill which works okay. It doesn't really get too hot so it works best with cooking thinner items (such as Korean barbecue, fish and veggies). The best part is that it packs and travels nicely. Think square vs. round. I've done carne asada for a large group of people and it worked and tasted amazing but it took a while.

My next trip we plan on barbecuing a lot for a larger gathering so I just ordered the Weber Jumbo Joe Gold 18" grill. As much as I like to barbecue I don't want to do it for hours at a time. I love my charcoal weber grills at home so hopefully this will perform similarly, we'll see. I'm hoping it gets hotter than the SP so I can sear things and with its size I should be able to cook indirectly as well.

I don't think I'll get rid of the Snow Peak grill, I'll reserve that for smaller gatherings or when space becomes an issue.

chet6.7

Explorer
I've used mine quite a bit. But its the dirtiest thing to have to pack and transport.

Anymore feedback? Do you like how it cooks food? How do you clean the grill? What fuels do you use? Thanks.

I think I saw the volcano grill at Costco yesterday,but I did not remember this post,so I just glanced at it.

cactusjk

Explorer
I don't think you can still get the Cobb in the US.
If you have the space, we really liked our Cobb grill, you could basically put a couple pieces of wood or charcoal in the bottom and cook for hours. They have a bunch of accessories that all pack down into the same carrying case. Its not super tiny though like the slat grills. I think it comes down to how much you think you are going to use it.

http://www.cobbgrillamerica.com

huachuca

Adventurer
I don't think you can still get the Cobb in the US.

Something happened to the US distributor for Cobb a few years back and their products were unavailable here for a time but they're now back. Check Amazon.

I've had the basic grill for several years and picked up most of the accessories at fire sale pricing when the distributor closed out. It's not my first choice for steaks or burgers but is excellent for roasts, beer can chicken, stir fry, seafood, baking and most breakfast entre's. It only takes 6-7 cocoshell briquettes for a pork tenderloin, foil packets of onions & potatoes and corn on the cob. Very miserly with the charcoal.

Everything fits into a nylon case roughly fifteen inches in diameter and twenty inches high which is actually pretty compact considering all the accessories (griddle, frying pan, wok, roasting rack, chicken stand).

Dust999

Observer
I use a portable Ecoque Grill. Collapses down to just over 1", used a few briquettes and works well for 2 people.

cactusjk

Explorer
Glad Amazon has them! Still don't have all the accessories such as the utensil kit but good to know.
Something happened to the US distributor for Cobb a few years back and their products were unavailable here for a time but they're now back. Check Amazon.

I've had the basic grill for several years and picked up most of the accessories at fire sale pricing when the distributor closed out. It's not my first choice for steaks or burgers but is excellent for roasts, beer can chicken, stir fry, seafood, baking and most breakfast entre's. It only takes 6-7 cocoshell briquettes for a pork tenderloin, foil packets of onions & potatoes and corn on the cob. Very miserly with the charcoal.

Everything fits into a nylon case roughly fifteen inches in diameter and twenty inches high which is actually pretty compact considering all the accessories (griddle, frying pan, wok, roasting rack, chicken stand).

crusaderJK

Adventurer
I have a "Lotusgrill". It's kinda special and innovative.

It has a charcoal basket you fill with charcoal. Inside the grill bowl there is a fire plate where you put lighting gel to light the charcoal. After you've lit the gel, you have to put the charcoal container on top of that plate and turn on the battery powered fan.

After that you put the grille onto the bowl an secure it with 2 latches. The charcoal container now sits tight inside the grill bowl and you can even turn the grill upside down without any coal falling out.

The charcoal gets hot almost instantly and by the time you have unwrapped your meat, you're ready to grill.
The only downside in may opinion is that it also burns through the coal pretty fast.

Here are some pictures of my grill.
IMG_20140707_194323.jpgIMG_20150411_152322.jpg

And here's a link to the company's website.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I just picked up this grill from Mgmetalworks because I needed something very light and compact. It's just over 6lbs, folds flat into it's carrying carrying case. 3/16" aluminum and very sturdy. I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I'm excited to have found a portable grill that will pack away nearly anywhere!

http://www.mgmetalworks.com/camp_grill.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke