Recirculating Showers?

CappyJax

As a former drinking water county lab tech. My first thought was wow a new golden shower system ???.

I worked with water testing lab stuff. The really interesting stuff was always private well water we treated it like bio hazard waste, given more often than not we cultured some super nasty stuff from those water samples.
Soooo
A grey tank at room temp or better yet warmer temps possibly filled with marginal water sources and enroute a dirty body of two or three? Yep I’m seeing it.. Yeah filter system and maybe a chlorine treatment system gets you back to a water like substance that doesn’t contain live bio hazard level organics. Hey who has the box of baby wipes? Yeah I think I’d go wipes or occasional hotel room for a shower lol.
But thats just me and my former (oh geeze thats nasty stuff) water lab experience. No thanks

But yeah really curious if anyone tries this?

A UV filter kills germs. That is it they make it through the filters. However, I agree that having the grey water sit in the tank is not ideal which is why I will filter mine before it returns to the tank.

This isn’t a system for people who park in hotel parking lots. This is a system for extended boon docking where water may be scarce.

These systems are very common and work well if you can overcome the urge to pee in your shower.

The water isn’t for drinking. A separate system would allows for taking water from streams and such. It would filter down to 0.2 micron as opposed to 5 micron for a recirculating shower.

WanderingBison

A UV filter kills germs. That is it they make it through the filters. However, I agree that having the grey water sit in the tank is not ideal which is why I will filter mine before it returns to the tank.

I think that’s the key! I also read one user mentioning that he learnt to make sure to run the recycling/UV system for a bit after a shower to make sure all “dirty” water in the tank and pipes is “cleaned” before shutting the system down

These systems are very common and work well if you can overcome the urge to pee in your shower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CappyJax

I think that’s the key! I also read one user mentioning that he learnt to make sure to run the recycling/UV system for a bit after a shower to make sure all “dirty” water in the tank and pipes is “cleaned” before shutting the system down

Yes, this is very important. If my setup works, I will be able to cycle the water through the filters without the water actually running. I can just manually switch on one of the pumps and it will force open a pressure relief valve to allow the water to cycle through the system. But with the efficiency of the system, I will need a very small tank of water and I will be able to remove if from the system and clean it periodically if need be.

WanderingBison

Yes, this is very important. If my setup works, I will be able to cycle the water through the filters without the water actually running. I can just manually switch on one of the pumps and it will force open a pressure relief valve to allow the water to cycle through the system. But with the efficiency of the system, I will need a very small tank of water and I will be able to remove if from the system and clean it periodically if need be.

Very clever! I understand the second pump and pressure relief valve now

Keep us updated … I’m planning my next build.

Alloy

This isn’t a system for people who park in hotel parking lots. This is a system for extended boon docking where water may be scarce.

The water isn’t for drinking. A separate system would allows for taking water from streams and such. It would filter down to 0.2 micron as opposed to 5 micron for a recirculating shower.

The CDC doesn't have UV as one of the 5 methods to treat household water.

Joe917

Explorer
The problem with UV is the water must be clear for it to work, any particles in the water protect pathogens from the light. Filters for getting that level of clarity will clog and need to be changed regularly. Putting gray water through the system will clog the filters even faster.

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
"The combined effects of ultra-violet light (UV)-induced DNA damage, thermal inactivation, and photo-oxidative destruction inactivate disease-causing organisms."
The CDC is focused on "proven treatment options are widely implemented in many developing countries", not a water system for a 6 figure 'camper'.

Alloy

"The combined effects of ultra-violet light (UV)-induced DNA damage, thermal inactivation, and photo-oxidative destruction inactivate disease-causing organisms."
The CDC is focused on "proven treatment options are widely implemented in many developing countries", not a water system for a 6 figure 'camper'.

CDC systems are cheap and easy to maintain + easy to store vs. the 6 figure system I've worked that need 3 figures in spares and when not used regularily cost 4 figures to repair after viruses & bacteria grow through the system.

CappyJax

First off, this is not for drinking. Why does this even have to be said?

Second, the big concern is viruses. Since I will be the only one showering in the shower, any viruses in the water will be from me.

Third, the next big concern is bacteria. You can't eliminate all the bacteria, but the majority of the bacteria that doesn't get trapped by the filters will be killed by the UV light. The water will be recirculated through the filters and UV light everyday, so there won't be much in the way of time for colonies to grow.

The drinking water system will be a separate system and filter down to 0.2 micron plus a UV filter.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
I see a future with lot of filters clogged with sweaty, salty skin residue much like hot tub filters getting gooped up with skin, oils, hand creme, and other waste.

Show me I'm wrong. I like boondocking.

WanderingBison

I see a future with lot of filters clogged with sweaty, salty skin residue much like hot tub filters getting gooped up with skin, oils, hand creme, and other waste.

Show me I'm wrong. I like boondocking.

I have done a lot of research on this as I consider it for my next build (the pandemic has certainly changed some of our “needs” and not having access to community shower facilities certainly had a big impact) and without a doubt, maintenance is not to be neglected.

Doing some filtering with a corse mesh for hair, larger particles, etc before actually returning the water to the filtration and sanitization portion is key.

Selecting your soap/shampoo products also has a big impact on the maintenance required.

And the user certainly has to clean and replace filters regularly in order to keep the system healthy.

A regular change of water/flush also seems important.

However, being able to take a long hot shower (after all, I am only x dirty so wether I do a navy shower like I do now in our outside shower or have a long luxurious shower shouldn’t really impact the filters much differently) every few days when far from services is worth it! Being able to go for a trail run or bike ride and showering before calling it a day is priceless!

I’m still a ways from the next build, especially given the availability of trucks and premium on prices, but I look forward to these systems getting better and better.

Alloy

I have done a lot of research on this as I consider it for my next build (the pandemic has certainly changed some of our “needs” and not having access to community shower facilities certainly had a big impact) and without a doubt, maintenance is not to be neglected.

Doing some filtering with a corse mesh for hair, larger particles, etc before actually returning the water to the filtration and sanitization portion is key.

Selecting your soap/shampoo products also has a big impact on the maintenance required.

And the user certainly has to clean and replace filters regularly in order to keep the system healthy.

A regular change of water/flush also seems important.

However, being able to take a long hot shower (after all, I am only x dirty so wether I do a navy shower like I do now in our outside shower or have a long luxurious shower shouldn’t really impact the filters much differently) every few days when far from services is worth it! Being able to go for a trail run or bike ride and showering before calling it a day is priceless!

I’m still a ways from the next build, especially given the availability of trucks and premium on prices, but I look forward to these systems getting better and better.

You've got a good start but the inside of the system will be a breeding ground if there isn't something to sanitize the inside of the system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles