Recirculating Showers?

James86004

Expedition Leader
I like simple shower systems vs anything with a pump. We use a gravity fed shower and a head from an old solar shower. With that system, me, my wife, and my 19-year-old daughter can all shower with less than the contents of a 5 gallons water can. Using the built-in shower system in our Sprinter, we use far more water. It has a 35 gallon tank and we went through almost all of it on a recent 3 day trip. The 15 gallons our Dormobile carries usually lasts us a week. We are looking for a faucet and shower head for the van that are much more water efficient.

My wife and daughter are happy with a shower once every 3 days, as long as it is not so hot that we are constantly sweating.

Momodolo

Got a link? The only one I could find said "coming soon."

Thats the site. They dont have it available as a unit yet but if you email them and are willing to go to *i believe Oregon * he could install a system for you. Its just in the phase of still being patented and its complex so he installs it himself only for now. Theres a few vids on youtube that mention his system such as ourlandyacht and jarrod tocci. If im understanding correctly, to shower the system basically fills itself up with 1.5 gallons of water, you shower and it recirculates/sanitizes for as long as you have energy for the instant hot water, and when you finish the shower it dumps out of the system and into the gray tank. I personally would love this system, take an hour hot shower using 1.5 gallons of water, sounds worth a few grand to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Momodolo

Got a link? The only one I could find said "coming soon."

Seems like a good system because rather than reusing the recirculated water several times, its a set amount of water for each shower that is used for that shower and then wasted into the gray tank. So 15 gallons of water should give you 10 hot showers of any length you please.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Seems like a good system because rather than reusing the recirculated water several times, its a set amount of water for each shower that is used for that shower and then wasted into the gray tank. So 15 gallons of water should give you 10 hot showers of any length you please.

That is clever. May still be a cure without a disease.

Momodolo

That is clever. May still be a cure without a disease.

The way i see it, all depends on the individual and their preference. Me personally, id spend thousands of dollars to be able to take very very very long hot showers every single day in an expedition vehicle in the middle of nowhere, that may seem absurd but thats just the kind of luxury id opt for if possible. Is it necessary? Absoluteeely not. Would it be amazing? Absolutelyyy yes

Ramdough

Adventurer
So, in my case, I am building a 19’ box with a decent amount of weight capacity. The truck can handle about 13,000lb including the box, but I want to minimize wasted weight.

I plan a composting toilet.

I could carry lots of water, but then I would be adding weight. As it is, I have a GVWR of 32,000lb. But again, I don’t want to use it.

I only see myself traveling US and Canada with this truck.

Most trips by quantity will be short weekenders, but most long trips will probably be 2-4 weeks.

The long term goal is to be able to stay in one place off grid for 4 weeks for two and 2 weeks for 4.

I am ok with being mindful of water use, but I never want to worry.

I typically shower daily since I am usually very dirty and hot when camping.

I plan a lot of beach camping, which needs a daily shower to sleep not sticky, sandy, itchy.

I think I am borderline where I could benefit from a recirculating shower, but by adding one, I could have near zero restrictions on use.

I was hoping for first hand experience, because I find most naysayers never try what they argue against.

Joe917

Explorer
We do not shower every day on the road. Our wet-room has a large radiator that can heat the room so that even in cold weather you can be comfortable wet with the water off. This allows a "boat" shower. water on, get wet. Water off soap up. water on rinse. Can be done easily with 4 liters of water. A load of laundry in our washing machine takes about 20 liters.
We also have a 750 liter water capacity.

verdesard0g

Search and Rescue first responder
I need a lot of warer ever week or so to wash my long hair, it gets so tangled running water with an ample amount of conditioner is what I absolutly need!
I never though of a recirc shower but now it seems to make a lot of sense!

Lovetheworld

I am building my own right now, for our off-grid home. For shorter trips lets say a couple of months, I think it is not worth it. Better keep it simple.
If you sold your house to live in a van, than it is a good idea.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I am building my own right now, for our off-grid home. For shorter trips lets say a couple of months, I think it is not worth it. Better keep it simple.
If you sold your house to live in a van, than it is a good idea.

Are you able to post what you are doing?

Lovetheworld

I am a bit busy now, but in general, it is the same as in the Youtube video. Only the heating is electrical. And I want to throw away the water after every shower.
The big question is how fast the filters are clogged. It will take a while before I find out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles