Recirculating Showers?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Who has done one?

What do you think of them?

Any pitfalls or advice?

I think if it is done properly, this would be a very nice addition.

For those unfamiliar, here are a few links I found from one channel:

Intro episode 1

Episode 2

Maintenance episode

Episode discussing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Watched all of the videos. Very clever, but a lot of work and expense for little benefit.

The primary benefit is an unlimited hot shower, that is, not a "military" or "camper" shower where you turn the water on and off. That is nice, but the price is high. In their experience they dump the ten gallons every week and use a similar amount to flush the system regularly. This isn't really saving a lot of water; specifically, it is not really getting them lots of extra showers in the desert. I am discounting the cost of the equipment and the extra work of cleaning the filters. I can't see any commercial builder offering it as it would be a nightmare in customer support.

The secondary benefit would be in allowing you to run a smaller fresh water tank while showering out of you 10 gallon shower system.

Two of us crossed the Sahara on twenty gallons, so I am all about anything that would get me a showers during a few weeks in the desert. Sadly, this ain't it.

Ramdough

Adventurer
Watched all of the videos. Very clever, but a lot of work and expense for little benefit.

The primary benefit is an unlimited hot shower, that is, not a "military" or "camper" shower where you turn the water on and off. That is nice, but the price is high. In their experience they dump the ten gallons every week and use a similar amount to flush the system regularly. This isn't really saving a lot of water; specifically, it is not really getting them lots of extra showers in the desert. I am discounting the cost of the equipment and the extra work of cleaning the filters. I can't see any commercial builder offering it as it would be a nightmare in customer support.

The secondary benefit would be in allowing you to run a smaller fresh water tank while showering out of you 10 gallon shower system.

Two of us crossed the Sahara on twenty gallons, so I am all about anything that would get me a showers during a few weeks in the desert. Sadly, this ain't it.

So, how many gallons does a normal camper shower use each shower if not trying to be stingy?

These guys are showering about 7 hours on 10 gallons plus system rinsing.

In their setup, they stop every week to refill fresh water and clean the shower.

Momodolo

Who has done one?

What do you think of them?

Any pitfalls or advice?

I think if it is done properly, this would be a very nice addition.

For those unfamiliar, here are a few links I found from one channel:

Intro episode 1

Episode 2

Maintenance episode

Episode discussing them

You gotta checkout vanlifetech, they produce a kit. And you gotta watch ourlandyachts van tour they have one of these kits. The way i see it, its worth it if you like long showers.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Beloved Spouse, the cat, and I use about 10 USG of fresh water a day when running full motorhome/RV style. That is eating, drinking, cooking, and showering.

As to the rest, watch all of the videos and draw your own conclusions. I'm not going to spend any energy attacking or defending this system. It is very clever, but I will not spend the money to retrofit to my camper.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
A vid I think from here a while ago on an Australian truck build talked about having a recirculating system but straight from the shower tray.
So, have a wash, use soap etc, sluice until dirt and soap gone. Plug in shower tray drain, add some water from heated normal system then use small second pump and head to just enjoy further showering but with the mostly clean water from your feet. Maybe a boat bilge pump, sump pump?

Ramdough

Adventurer
Beloved Spouse, the cat, and I use about 10 USG of fresh water a day when running full motorhome/RV style. That is eating, drinking, cooking, and showering.

As to the rest, watch all of the videos and draw your own conclusions. I'm not going to spend any energy attacking or defending this system. It is very clever, but I will not spend the money to retrofit to my camper.

I have a wife and two daughters (and a dog). I am thinking I will use a lot more water

Ramdough

Adventurer
If your primary goal is to save water (and weight), it is FAR more realistic to consider body wipes and sponge baths.

No, I am trying for great comfort while extending my stay so that the family wants to stay out longer with comfort. Long stay, comfort, manage resources, etc.

1000arms

No, I am trying for great comfort while extending my stay so that the family wants to stay out longer with comfort. Long stay, comfort, manage resources, etc.
There are some shower-heads that would likely help with that goal. Low flow but enough pressure to feel good and wash dirt/soap/shampoo/... away. I suspect minimizing the waterflow needed combined with some form of water recirculation would be your best bet for achieving your goal.

It appears there are commercial made recirculating showers being developed and sold. For some recirculating shower ideas for your DIY, you might look at the links:

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER

Do realize that there is an in-between.

Like I said, consider wipes and sponge baths to extend your stays.

If you do that, you are probably a-okay with a standard shower setup.
No need for the added expense and complexity of a recirc shower.

Shower, but less often, but regularly wipe down to decrease the frequency of showers.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
As mentioned, we started out traveling with nothing for weeks on end.

103065106.jpg

The face you make when you discover that that you have just used the last of the water for laundry and you still have to fix dinner. :cry:

We love our hot showers and spend months in the camper without ever having the need to use a campground shower. We do use a bowl to catch the cold water waiting for the shower to warm up. We then use this water for soaping up and as a first rinse. Final rinse is fresh hot water. Five USG per person per day is luxury.

Beloved Spouse uses more water when it is time for a hair wash. I can't remember hair. The cat declines to use the shower. Our dogs have always had to lump it. ;)

Now, if you could recycle ten USG for a month, or even a fortnight, THAT would be more interesting. There are still some significant challenges. We use our truck well below 0F, thus everything has to be inside the heated spaces and if you want hot water for the sink, you have some other challenges.

Nothing is impossible, but everything costs money and space. Spare filters might be a challenge for extended international travel. It is possible that you do not have to use carbon filters and a UV lamp. Coarse sediment filters and a shot of chlorine once a week might be enough. I don't know how much bench testing he did.

Momodolo

Checkout vanlifetech! You can take a 20 min or more hot shower on 1.5 gallons of hot water. Seems like theyve got the best system.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles