Recirculating Showers?

WanderingBison

You've got a good start but the inside of the system will be a breeding ground if there isn't something to sanitize the inside of the system.
Yes, that appears to be a concern which is why a few users have advised to let the shower run for a few minutes in recirculated n mode after use to allow a good sanitization of the system/piping before shutting it down.

Which is why I like @CrappyJax approach to allow the system to bypass the shower head and continue to circulate/sanitize the water without the shower flowing.

This fellow in the UK has a good run down on his system and points out the importance of hot water to free some of the soap residue.

AdvancedRV has also developed a system that is dual mode (fresh water/recirculating) which is pretty clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alloy

I wonder if a centrifigual filter like whats used to clear algae would be worthwhile. One might think skin and soap residue a similar muck consistency to algae.
Another thing to consider is copper or silver electrodes.
Passing low voltage AC current between copper or silver electrodes (I think zinc works also..) thru water will release ions which is toxic to many bacteria.
DC current can work also, and maybe simpler to build. But only one electrode would erode away.
Thats one process used in fountians and such to keep water clear.
$1.75 million was used to research a recirc shower in 2012. It had a centrifugal filter..didn't take off.

Alloy

Yes, that appears to be a concern which is why a few users have advised to let the shower run for a few minutes in recirculated n mode after use to allow a good sanitization of the system/piping before shutting it down.

Which is why I like @CrappyJax approach to allow the system to bypass the shower head and continue to circulate/sanitize the water without the shower flowing.

This fellow in the UK has a good run down on his system and points out the importance of hot water to free some of the soap residue.

AdvancedRV has also developed a system that is dual mode (fresh water/recirculating) which is pretty clever.

Anyone watching that video should be asking if the tank needs to be cleaned what about the rest (water line filters pumps) of the system? Purified water does not sterilize.

Verkstad has a good idea but one would have to make sure the filters do not remove the silver or copper.

Ramdough

Adventurer
An important issue I have seen some designs create.

I would not trust a check valve to keep my fresh water system from my recirculating system. I have seen it done a few times and it always makes me cringe. Check valves are not perfect. That is why most plumbing code has an air gap between fresh supply and any drain.

My $400 RP check valve on my sprinkler line, that I pay to have inspected by a certified inspector (per city requirements) is way more specialized than what I see in these systems and still the city does not trust it to somehow suck in dirty water. I think it is a bit overkill, but I think the single check valves I see on some recirculating systems is way under kill.

I plan to fill my shower basin (recirculating tank is right under the basin) with a clean tap, then circulate, then I can also rinse with the clean tap if I want. It may look funny having two showerheads, but it is worth it to me.

At least this is my current plan. I will probably have the shower started this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RKB

WanderingBison

An important issue I have seen some designs create.

I would not trust a check valve to keep my fresh water system from my recirculating system. I have seen it done a few times and it always makes me cringe. Check valves are not perfect. That is why most plumbing code has an air gap between fresh supply and any drain.

My $400 RP check valve on my sprinkler line, that I pay to have inspected by a certified inspector (per city requirements) is way more specialized than what I see in these systems and still the city does not trust it to somehow suck in dirty water. I think it is a bit overkill, but I think the single check valves I see on some recirculating systems is way under kill.

I plan to fill my shower basin (recirculating tank is right under the basin) with a clean tap, then circulate, then I can also rinse with the clean tap if I want. It may look funny having two showerheads, but it is worth it to me.

At least this is my current plan. I will probably have the shower started this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Absolutely!!! Clean drinking water and not being sick for three days is way more important a shower.

Separate systems are a must! Even the Advanced RV dual system is fully separate.

A vid I think from here a while ago on an Australian truck build talked about having a recirculating system but straight from the shower tray.
So, have a wash, use soap etc, sluice until dirt and soap gone. Plug in shower tray drain, add some water from heated normal system then use small second pump and head to just enjoy further showering but with the mostly clean water from your feet. Maybe a boat bilge pump, sump pump?
This is pretty much the exact thing I'm thinking of doing. Tried to find this video you mentioned but couldn't. Do you happen to remember any other details that might help my search? I know it was a while ago sorry.

Reactions: RKB