Recirculating Showers?

WanderingBison

You've got a good start but the inside of the system will be a breeding ground if there isn't something to sanitize the inside of the system.

Yes, that appears to be a concern which is why a few users have advised to let the shower run for a few minutes in recirculated n mode after use to allow a good sanitization of the system/piping before shutting it down.

Which is why I like @CrappyJax approach to allow the system to bypass the shower head and continue to circulate/sanitize the water without the shower flowing.

This fellow in the UK has a good run down on his system and points out the importance of hot water to free some of the soap residue.

AdvancedRV has also developed a system that is dual mode (fresh water/recirculating) which is pretty clever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Alloy

I wonder if a centrifigual filter like whats used to clear algae would be worthwhile. One might think skin and soap residue a similar muck consistency to algae.
Another thing to consider is copper or silver electrodes.
Passing low voltage AC current between copper or silver electrodes (I think zinc works also..) thru water will release ions which is toxic to many bacteria.
DC current can work also, and maybe simpler to build. But only one electrode would erode away.
Thats one process used in fountians and such to keep water clear.

$1.75 million was used to research a recirc shower in 2012. It had a centrifugal filter..didn't take off.

Alloy

Yes, that appears to be a concern which is why a few users have advised to let the shower run for a few minutes in recirculated n mode after use to allow a good sanitization of the system/piping before shutting it down.

Which is why I like @CrappyJax approach to allow the system to bypass the shower head and continue to circulate/sanitize the water without the shower flowing.

This fellow in the UK has a good run down on his system and points out the importance of hot water to free some of the soap residue.

AdvancedRV has also developed a system that is dual mode (fresh water/recirculating) which is pretty clever.

Anyone watching that video should be asking if the tank needs to be cleaned what about the rest (water line filters pumps) of the system? Purified water does not sterilize.

Verkstad has a good idea but one would have to make sure the filters do not remove the silver or copper.

Ramdough

Adventurer
An important issue I have seen some designs create.

I would not trust a check valve to keep my fresh water system from my recirculating system. I have seen it done a few times and it always makes me cringe. Check valves are not perfect. That is why most plumbing code has an air gap between fresh supply and any drain.

My $400 RP check valve on my sprinkler line, that I pay to have inspected by a certified inspector (per city requirements) is way more specialized than what I see in these systems and still the city does not trust it to somehow suck in dirty water. I think it is a bit overkill, but I think the single check valves I see on some recirculating systems is way under kill.

I plan to fill my shower basin (recirculating tank is right under the basin) with a clean tap, then circulate, then I can also rinse with the clean tap if I want. It may look funny having two showerheads, but it is worth it to me.

At least this is my current plan. I will probably have the shower started this fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RKB

WanderingBison

An important issue I have seen some designs create.

I would not trust a check valve to keep my fresh water system from my recirculating system. I have seen it done a few times and it always makes me cringe. Check valves are not perfect. That is why most plumbing code has an air gap between fresh supply and any drain.

My $400 RP check valve on my sprinkler line, that I pay to have inspected by a certified inspector (per city requirements) is way more specialized than what I see in these systems and still the city does not trust it to somehow suck in dirty water. I think it is a bit overkill, but I think the single check valves I see on some recirculating systems is way under kill.

I plan to fill my shower basin (recirculating tank is right under the basin) with a clean tap, then circulate, then I can also rinse with the clean tap if I want. It may look funny having two showerheads, but it is worth it to me.

At least this is my current plan. I will probably have the shower started this fall.

Absolutely!!! Clean drinking water and not being sick for three days is way more important a shower.

Separate systems are a must! Even the Advanced RV dual system is fully separate.

palebluewanders

A vid I think from here a while ago on an Australian truck build talked about having a recirculating system but straight from the shower tray.
So, have a wash, use soap etc, sluice until dirt and soap gone. Plug in shower tray drain, add some water from heated normal system then use small second pump and head to just enjoy further showering but with the mostly clean water from your feet. Maybe a boat bilge pump, sump pump?

This is pretty much the exact thing I'm thinking of doing. Tried to find this video you mentioned but couldn't. Do you happen to remember any other details that might help my search? I know it was a while ago sorry.

Reactions: RKB

dirtnadvil

After camping in Baja for 40 years I have come up with a few tricks for saving water....The first was to stop bringing our kids with us....? Alot of water gets wasted while waiting for hot water so my wife and I run the shower into a pot until it gets hot, We then use the water in the pot for cooking, coffee, the dogs , instead of wasting it. We are able to camp for a week and have a nightly shower on 45 gallons with water to spare....I also bought a sink faucet tip from Altered.https://alteredcompany.com/en-us

It puts the sink water out as a mist and uses 90% less water while in the mist mode. The faucet tip can be turned to give a straight stream of water if needed. I put a quarter turn valve on the shower to reduce the amount of water I use when showering. I also put a valve on the toilet water line so I dont use water with every flush. I use Happy Bowl toilet liners (kind of like a coffee filter, to line the bowl so its a clean flush with out water.....

Kstills

Going to go this route in my van. Build will have a dedicated FW holding tank (~15gallons) a 2 gallon HW heater and inline filters coupled with a UV light to kill the bugs. Total system contains ~3.5 gallons of water good for ~6 showers before the water is discharged to the grey tank. A cleaning cycle with water containing bleach is done on a monthly basis to keep any growth in the system at bay. Using a system like this should allow for about 3 weeks off grid with a shower every other day.

Momodolo

Vanlifetech is about to release a the first production model it seems. Checkout their instagram. Very good recirculating shower!

Ramdough

Adventurer
Vanlifetech is about to release a the first production model it seems. Checkout their instagram. Very good recirculating shower!

They keep saying that….. but have yet to see it.

I called a few times just to ask about it, but they never answered. I think I even emailed them. No response.

geoffff

Observer
Earthcruiser was "just about" to start selling their recirculating shower when I checked them out in 2020. I haven't heard much since then.

I wonder if anyone has actually used one regularly out in the field? I can imagine a lot going wrong.

Maybe we need to wait for the technology to get perfected in mainstream houses first.

DzlToy

Explorer
I have used these for years, sometimes in VERY high doses to kill certain pathogens, and have not had any issues. Unlike bleach, pool chlorine and even the chlorine used by city water treatment facilities, CDS (Chlorine Dioxide in Solution) will not form harmful Chloramines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles