rechargeable light recommendation sought

roving1

I like to buy things that take regular batteries, but then use rechargeable batteries in them. You will usually get 2-3 times the battery capacity over the USB rechargeable version of the same light.

But they make a USB rechargeable version too.

These are one of my favorites. Normal light, orange bug light, and the collapsible silicone globe thingy glows in the dark too.

UST Spright 3AAA LED Collapsible Water and Impact Resistant Mini Lantern with 100 Lumens and Hook for Camping, Hiking, Emergency and Outdoor Survival, 2pk

Last edited:

pith helmet

I like to buy things that take regular batteries, but then use rechargeable batteries in them. You will usually get 2-3 times the battery capacity over the USB rechargeable version of the same light.

But they make a USB rechargeable version too.

These are one of my favorites. Normal light, orange big light, and the collapsible silicone globe thingy glows in the dark too.

UST Spright 3AAA LED Collapsible Water and Impact Resistant Mini Lantern with 100 Lumens and Hook for Camping, Hiking, Emergency and Outdoor Survival, 2pk
that is interesting to know. i have wondered about that, having used rechargeable batteries plenty before the advent of usb rechargeable devices. i have a usb one similar to the ones above that works great. @s.e.charles i have a couple to share with you when i can take a pic or two.

pith helmet

The little orange is a cheap USB from Amazon and also has a crank and two settings. The Streamlight is AAA and 3 settings, the brightest of which could help you find a contact in the woods. Bonus: light on water container is a nice unobtrusive camp light.

Attachments

• 872D1DC3-E210-4B27-A69B-007CE760937B.jpeg
    872D1DC3-E210-4B27-A69B-007CE760937B.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 3F7F4C76-F89D-4F86-99ED-D6B39A1DC927.jpeg
    3F7F4C76-F89D-4F86-99ED-D6B39A1DC927.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 14
  • 8D465F2C-64A0-48FE-9D36-BEF56F726679.jpeg
    8D465F2C-64A0-48FE-9D36-BEF56F726679.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 12
  • B2AA0CB3-FCF7-4CA5-ABDE-2EAEE20849BF.jpeg
    B2AA0CB3-FCF7-4CA5-ABDE-2EAEE20849BF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12

Alloy

I've taken to using head lamps. This is my collection:

2 of these. One of my favorites due to weight +lumen output + red light + ease of use.

Biolite has a stuff sack

3 various type of 205lm to 350lm Black Diamond.
Switching can be PINA but being swapping batteries (lithium for cold) is good as is the red light lumen output.

4 of these from Amazon
1628132812074.png

1 of these.
Lumen output is great but it is very warm on high and heavy on the forehead. Red light is useless. I carry this for the lumen (finding trail markers when it is snowing) output when hiking but haven' bought anything else yet.

Laps

i need a couple of lights to leave in different parts of the truck. these ones look good: WARSUN Led Work Lights Rechargeable Magnetic Mechanic Light Portable Worklight for Camping Car Repairing 30w 1200 High Lumens Bright Yellow - - Amazon.com

anyone have any suggestions?

thx

I also own a couple of lights that look nearly identical to those. The price is very good, and they are reliable and can be used in a variety of locations. I also have a variety of lights, including globe shaped, small string lights, LUCI lights, headlamps, all of which can be used for different purposes. The days of a single Coleman white gas lantern are ones of nostalgia.

s.e.charles

in my first truck/ cap, i had a coleman propane lantern that doubled as a heat source. lord that "hiss" was annoying! used fairly infrequently, i would never realize how loud it was until i shut it off.

pith helmet

I've taken to using head lamps. This is my collection:

3 various type of 205lm to 350lm Black Diamond.
Switching can be PINA but being swapping batteries (lithium for cold) is good as is the red light lumen output.

+2 Black Diamond headlights, me and the wife. Besides camping, mine hangs by the door of the house by my keys. Indispensable gear.

dbhost

I seriously use the Tac Light Lanterns with rechargeable AA batteries. Much better run time, LOTS of light, albeing somewhat glaring. I got a 4 pack of knock offs from Amazon for something like $10.00, with no magnets, epoxied my own magnets on and voila! Cheap, effective, serviceable light.

For cooler weather I will use a propane or gasoline lantern in the "mess tent" area, under the EZ Up to provide heat as well as light.

USB charging IS nice and convenient, especially since there are plenty of tiny USB solar chargers that can recharge your lights during the day so you can use it during the night. The big issue though is once the battery will no longer hold a charge, off to the landfill the whole thing goes. Not a fan.

pluton

Adventurer
For those that are tired of the [IMO unrealistic]cool blue light that comes from almost all available LED lanterns, flashlights, and headlamps, Pelican makes a "Color Correct" series of flashlights and headlamps that produce a light color similar to an incandescent light bulb.
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/discover/correct-color-lights/
Most or all use normal, commonly available batteries like AA and AAA. I bought a 3410CC flashlight and a 2755 headlamp. Too early to assess durability, but I like them so far.

Zeep

Adventurer
Coast lighting, offers full lifetime warranty on most of their line. I have a single AA cell, pocket light, that I carry every day for work.
They promptly replaced Two of them, so far.

Reactions: WVI

s.e.charles

definitely a good price point consideration & if the replacement policy is reliable, i can't see much reason not to give them a fair shake. i've often wondered, as well as being guilty of buying, the reason a "good" flashlight cost $200.

COAST: Innovative LED Flashlights and Hands Free Lighting Solutions – COAST Products (coastportland.com)

i like the idea of "complete system integration", but often find different companies excel at different things. for my immediate need, i'd like something a bit robust, but as i get towards a lighter footprint the GZ lanterns hold a special allure.

USB, Solar Flashlights & Lanterns/Goal Zero

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94