Recharge an Engel 45's Refrigerant

Brian McVickers

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, :wavey:

Anyone know how to recharge the refrigerant in an Engel 45?

Mine is a few years old and just doesn't seem to cool the way you would expect.

Thanks
Brian

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Does it even have pressure ports?
I'm guessing not. So you would then need some of the clamp-on ports like sometimes used on home fridge's. Not sure how well those will take going off road.

Next you'd need a set of Refrigerant gauges to set the high and low side pressures. I've no idea what those should be and I'd be surprised if the manual listed them. There's some rules of thumb out there that may get you close.

What does the mfg have to say about this?

oldcj5guy

Adventurer
Most of these systems are ammonia and nonrechargeable. there might be a blockage in the system. For RV fridges which are the same thing, here is what we did with about an 80% success rate:

Roll the thing over, one side a day. This wil usually clear any blockage and clear up the system on one that isn't cooling as good as the old days.

Just roll it up to the next side each morning and leave it for the day.

FlyingWen

Explorer
I put in a call and email to Engel this past Monday regarding this issue and here the response I got:

"good morning Wendy,
There is no recharging the unit, please have your customer call us or if you would like we can call him. Do you know how old the unit is? We will be happy to assist.
thanks"

If it is no longer getting as cool as you would like, I would look into the warranty issue directly with Engel USA ((888) 272 9838).

Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94