Recently purchased P38, now it has issues(as expected).

forsakenfuture

Explorer
rangeroverp38.jpgrangeroverp382.jpg
Recently purchased a 1999 P38. Everything was going fine until we were going down the trail and the heater core burst(Yes, burst) resulting in second degree burns on my wife's foot. As we slowly moved down the trail the radio came up with the "code" screen and the climate controls stopped working. Now, the A/C blows full blast constantly and very seldomly the buttons light up but no functions. I've googled but I haven't had any luck on what could be the issue with the HVAC. I did check the fuses and relays but didn't find anything a miss. Any suggestions would be great.

As for the radio, I called the dealership in Denver and they said Land Rover never used codes for their radios. I called Land Rover direct and they were very nice and told me the code was 0000. I tried this with no luck, called another dealer and they also said 0000. I was also suggested to try 2121 but still nothing. Is it possible to install an after market radio? Will it also cause issues? Is there something special I need to do to make an aftermarket radio work with the P38?

2.ooohhh

Land rover most certainly had radios requiring a code in that time period. My '99 discovery had one code for the radio it came with scribbled on the inside cover of the owners manual, I purchased a replacement radio which arrived with it's code in sharpie on top of the radio.(i transcribed it into the owners manual next to the other)

CrabFly

Welcome to the wild world of P38s. When everything is ironed out, they are fantastic. But getting there can drive you crazy.

That was most likely the original heater core. The o-ring connections go bad and cause massive failures. Some have opted to convert to an Audi model core with slight modifications so that conventional hose clamps can be used directly on the core. Some have had success with this and others have experienced failure when clamps came loose down the road. I would suggest replacing with OEM o-rings and core with the understanding they are good for about 10-15 years.

Now the HVAC, unfortunately has control and power wires running in the same general area where you had your explosion of hot coolant. I would inspect the wiring coming from the right-hand kick panel through behind the center dash space for damage/corrosion. The radio issue; likely the same as above, damaged wiring or circuitry.

LR USA really does not have a great grasp on this model any longer. I was in the process of getting a replacement key fob made by a supplier in the UK and needed my BECM Communication Code, which dealers should have on file for each vehicle. I called ten dealers, half of which had no idea what I was speaking about, and the others flat out told me no such thing existed. LR USA corporate was zero help. A contact in the UK who was friendly with his local dealer got me my code in five minutes.

If you own it long enough you will become a great engineer. Happy to help if I can. Cheers.

spikemd

Explorer
Land Rover....turning owners into mechanics for 70 years...

I love my P38! but ownership is not without its issues. You either need to be patient and resourceful and willing to turn a wrench, or have very deep pockets and know a mechanic who knows these particular trucks. In this day and age, less and less people know the issues. Best to learn yourself. I love Expo but rangerovers.net is by far the best source of information for you. All these issues have been tackled before and you can find out which ones will be creeping up.

That said, the solid axle four-wheel traction control, 4.6L P38 can be a beast on the trail. I have even done most of the Rubicon trail until I hit snow.

Roll up your sleeves and get prepared to get dirty...

A computer reader will serve you well to read and clear codes. HVAC can be a pain. I have a TekPro3000 but they dont make them anymore but there are lots of others out there and well worth the investments. My HVAC screemn has gone out 4? times in the last 12 years. I have changed my heater core 3 times...I have changed my fusebox twice...you get the picture.

bri

Adventurer
I am surprised you could keep driving after heater core failure. Perhaps you find some wires?

gatorgrizz27

You can easily bypass the heater core to deal with it in the meantime.

I’d agree that the HVAC issues are likely caused by coolant leaking into the electrical connections.

Radios did have codes, mine was in the owner’s manual. I’m sure there is a bypass by this point in time if you don’t have it and LR won’t give it to you from the VIN.

Radios are old tech and can be replaced with any aftermarket unit, they are not tied into the security system, etc.

If you expect everything to work properly 100% of the time, an older LR isn’t really the vehicle for you. It likely won’t leave you stranded if you’re mechanically inclined and keep up with maintenance, but they are going to continually have “character”.

I still recall jumping the brake pedal switch on my D1 in a parking lot with a gum wrapper when it decided it wasn’t going to move out of “park” one evening. Loved that vehicle.

bri

Adventurer
<snip>

That said, the solid axle four-wheel traction control, 4.6L P38 can be a beast on the trail. I have even done most of the Rubicon trail until I hit snow.

<snip>

Traction control typically refers to a system with inputs and outputs to wheel spin sensors, torque sensors, brakes and such. P38 has none of that.

Really the only thing P38 has for traction control is ABS. Not even a center diff lock. It's Forte is actually snow/slick.

spikemd

Explorer
Traction control typically refers to a system with inputs and outputs to wheel spin sensors, torque sensors, brakes and such. P38 has none of that.

Really the only thing P38 has for traction control is ABS. Not even a center diff lock. It's Forte is actually snow/slick.

Sorry, but you are totally wrong. 1996-1999 have 2 wheel rear traction control and 2000-2002 models have 4 wheel traction control that is very effective. I have taken my P38 on some serious trails including the Rubicon and it was very good keeping up with other rovers than had locking rear diffs. With the traction control, low range, a lift and good tires, she is a great trail rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94