Reccomendations for Annex for trailer mounted (low) tent

cruxarche

Observer
I am looking for a solution to allow additional family/dogs to sleep "inside" with my wife and I as we are up in the RTT. THe eezi awn 3 on my Horizon AT Overland Trailer seems too low for an annex. With 33" tires on the trailer the bottom of the tent platform is at 60" from the ground which just seems too low.

I have looked at shortening an annex, or custom building something, but that seems like a lot of work for a marginal outcome. I am open to replacing the RTT with one made specifically for low mounted vehicles or trailers but there does not seem to be much available. I have also tried to imagine how I could use a canopy with walls nested up against the RTT but that seems dubious. What say you all?

Thanks.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
My first thought would be to sew a second zipper half partway down the outside of your annex and fold the “extra” material in at the top. If you ever went to a taller rig, the original annex would still be useable.

When I faced a similar issue, ultimately, I just built a rack to raise the tent to about 72” up. I wanted to walk under the tent, and it provided a good place to store stuff that was okay to expose to elements.

cruxarche

Observer
My first thought would be to sew a second zipper half partway down the outside of your annex and fold the “extra” material in at the top. If you ever went to a taller rig, the original annex would still be useable.

When I faced a similar issue, ultimately, I just built a rack to raise the tent to about 72” up. I wanted to walk under the tent, and it provided a good place to store stuff that was okay to expose to elements.

I am reluctant to raise the tent because both my wife and myself prefer being closer to the ground. For some reason over five feet or so and it starts to feel like more of an ordeal getting in and out and we enjoy the RTT less.

I may just secure velcro to the underside of the RTT platform and fashion a custom "room". Ideally I would find a RTT designed for a trailer that encloses the ladder inside the annex and provides a higher enclosed covered area.

jmmaxus

@cruxarche Sell the tent you have. Buy a 23zero tent. Their annexes come in two size 62" (short) or 78" (tall). They also have zip ins to increase in 4" increments. The 62" short would work perfectly for your trailer. I'm actually planning a trailer build and I want the rack to be 58" high, and I plan to get a 23zero with a short annex.

Annexes for Walkabout™ Roof-Top Tent – 23ZERO USA

In this video they install a short annex on a 70" height trailer. He recommends not doing that and installing on no more than 58" but corrects himself in the comments, and it would work if your close to 62".

How To Install 23ZERO Walkabout Annex Room. - YouTube

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles