recap: Mods I wouldn`t do again for overlanding

4x4tripping

Adventurer
mods-you-wouldnt-do-again-offroad-overlanding-vanlife.jpg

After over 68350 miles of international overlanding (110`000km) with the rig showed above, done in the past 9 years it is definitively time for an analytic view. Which mod wouldnt we do again, which mod would we install on a newly buildup? From a Transafrica to journeys in Europe, Iceland, South America I had a lot of different terrain to use those mods listened below.

My list of mods isn`t short:
- Snorkel ( +Higher various types of venting )
- Front bar
- winch
- Ground anchor
- Underride protection
- Differential locks
- Maxtrax sand plate / recovery
- Larger tires (33")
- Mudterrain tire tread (MT)
- only 1x spare tire with rim
- Spare tire carrier at the rear
- Air heater (air vs water heater I explain below)
- Additional fuel tank 180Liter
- Heat exchanger to the engine (hot shower)

Which mod was helpful? Which one was waste of money? Which one was really bad? And why?

I did wrote an Article about: https://vanlife.4x4tripping.com/2021/05/mods-i-wouldnt-do-again-for-overlanding.html

Here is the map of the journey till today:

J20-landcruiser-v8-diesel-d4d-trippin-worldmap-small.jpg

trippin

RDinNHand AZ

Thanks for this. My desert overland vehicle is a 2002 4Runner, front and rear bumpers and a synthetic rope winch. Sleeping platform inside. One size up on tires and 2” lift. I have the winch to extract the folks I lead. I would go anywhere in it but use some caution about it’s capabilities. I agree with your assessment of mods. No F’n snorkel or 35” tires for me.
RD

I’d think twice about a winch, not so much because of the winch but due to the mounting requirements. Unless your vehicle has a hidden winch option the bumper weighs a ton. Disregard if you need the bumper for frontal protection.

Hi-lift jack. Heavy and potentially dangerous. I’ll trade the weight straight across for a floor jack and MaxTrax.

I‘d keep the 33” tires for my vehicle.

Jupiter58

Weight is certainly the most overlooked aspect of overlanding. I am in the wrangler community and. I am amazed how many people immediately put the vehicle over the gvwr. Steel bumpers, winch, roof rack, big tires and you are overweight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RDinNHand AZ

The bumper and winch can be an issue. My front bumper and winch were carefully weighed and the removed origional parts subtracted. Winch rope saves almost 20#. The changover added 100# I added new front springs w/new shocks to compensate and lift a bit. I also lost 35# myself, does that get counted?
.4RunnerFront.jpeg

billiebob

The mods I'd never do again......

Lifts and bigger tires.
I'm converted back to stock suspensions and light, skinny tires.

Better ride, better fuel economy, way less expensive tires which last 30% longer.
Plus nothing ever breaks. Lifts and oversize tires create stresses the car was never engineered for.
And I go everywhere stock that I did with a 4" lift and 35s.

So I'll never do a lift or bigger tires again.
My Jeep came with 245/75R16s.... 30.5" tall
I now run 185/100R16s.... 30.5" tall but way skinnier... 7.50 vs 10.50 wide and lighter,
They really do go 10K miles farther too. I'm converted.

My Jeep came with selectable lockers.... that is the one mod I'd add to any new vehicle I buy.
With lockers I never use my winch.

And the one thing I long for, a second gas tank.

Last edited:

4x4tripping

Adventurer
Weight is certainly the most overlooked aspect of overlanding. I am in the wrangler community and. I am amazed how many people immediately put the vehicle over the gvwr. Steel bumpers, winch, roof rack, big tires and you are overweight.

So true!

AVvXsEhAE6a8e0-lvf4RF0P3WRJHnHlw99_ymOlhK5LEW3t_02RdbB8dDjP5ecyjCf5L-SrbWo7LzbgMOTqXErkJf-zRpOgUJJfcQtqyNccuRnejgZWikbvgKXceMJZu5-O7fkLDsfG1wjehncWcLxYx3M5XpUdABiCuVtXw97tBG0CIQL_wx9McovgmMVIE0Q=s1024

I`am currently selling this above rig, because our family is growing - and with more than 2 People this travel-setup above dont fits anymore.

What is the outcome of above writeup in the first post? I will have to try to keep my next travel vehicle more lightweight, for beeing able to carry more people. In europe we will have to keep the vehicle below 3.5 tons, so that all people with the basic driving licence are able to drive with it. It is easy to optain the bigger licence, but the anual health checks are nothing who a lot of people are willing to do, too my fiancee.

I will try to find alternative ways to be capable for offroad purpose. No heavy winch, no steel bumper.

That is my new plan:
Self-recovery in the field - what helps?

Not so easy to mount, if I stick in the mud unexpected like above. But it will let me recovery from that situation too, with that kind of recovery gear, also when it is not so comfortable like a winch.

I haven't found my final future travel vehicle yet, but nice options! Not same capable, but still capable enough even for a panamericana or silkroad

AVvXsEi8ca3JGj-j_yQeGVbjM1O17V_hjaQRUvYZefIfg3ahRLdS9Zxbhl9m7SipLXDBnR50tWvbvDcVIYnGWVrV3FXUjxS_yJXEkHd3axa9nagvWzg52l3UOqVDPMmSHQmM2MvL40Wriw9A0IYd9jBWD6R0tybvTn2HwM9qbJLUxK1V2dkzzQl3VhDWgUYE=s1280

At least with the V8 Landcruiser the basic weight is to high for travelling longterm with 3-4 People - too quick over gvwr by starting with a base weight of 3tons!

trippin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles