rear tie down eye bolts

MrKen

I have a 2003 Pastime, 8' camper, truck 8'bed, so no overhang off the back. Long story short, the eye bolt and nut need to be replaced. Removed the propane tank and plastic compartment. About 4"x4" of dry rot, and the 1x3 in the same area has about 8" of dry rot. I was thinking of bolting a piece of aluminum where the plywood was and the 1x3 piece replacing with a piece of oak. I think this could be stronger than just the bolt in the plywood as it came from the factory.
I have had a suggestion to attach the back HappiJack chains to the electric lift bracket, which I also think is an easy and good suggestion.
Has anyone done this, and could this be a good plan? Suggestions and advice welcome.
Thank you,

1stDeuce

Explorer
I've been through this... Perhaps have a look at the hallmark thread in my sig. I over-plated some areas on the outside with new plywood, then bolted through all. Replaced some rotted framing in a few places too. I use the rear jack mounts to tie down, not an eye bolt. My jack mounts are a little different than yours, but still far stronger than a single eye bolt.

Remember not to run the chains super tight, you're just taking up slack in them for the most part...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz