Rear sway bar

Jsweezy

Explorer
I am looking for a little clarification.

Does someone with a 4" lifted E350 that wants to install a rear Hellwig sway bar need anything other than what comes with it?

Thanks!

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I think you need rear drop brackets. Mine came with the van, but I think these 'L' brackets are custom Quigley.

RIMG0194-L.jpg

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
I've always been puzzled by rear sway bars on 4x4 vans. Unless the rig is extremely heavy it shouldn't be needed. I've removed a bunch, it seems that every DeQuig we do has a rear sway bar on it. Someone in the past thought it would tighten up the handling.

Sheep Shagger

Adventurer
I always thought it was more for axle twist/wrap than anything else. (Lift blocks and shocks that are both same side of axle). It's a Quigley, it needs all the help it can get in the handling department...;)
Can't say I've ever pulled it off to try, but I knocked it out of alignment once, and it made a difference, it was kind-a like having delayed bodyroll so you were constantly correcting yourself in long sweeping corners.
But im doing rear springs this weekend so it'll be comming off, have to play with and without it to see.

Jsweezy

Explorer
I don't know how much it will help until I put one on, but I know when I turn corners now I can feel the back end leaning and I don't care for it. I was hoping a sway bar would tighten it up. If I was off road a lot ya it wouldn't make much sense but I'm not.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Sheep shagger - thanks for the picture! I'm gonna call Quadvan tomorrow and see if they already have something for it now that I know what I'm looking for. If anyone else has an idea of where to locate these please let me know.

Thanks!

djbonsu

Adventurer
Hellwig makes some pretty stout swaybars. they can be found at your local pick n pull on some f series pick-ups and e-series ambulances......maybe. I looked at this long ago before considering the 4x4 route but i dont think it is needed unless your rig is SUPER heavy and has a large high top.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Djbonsu - I would love to go rummage through the yards but they aren't exactly wheelchair friendly and it would be less of a headache for me to just buy one ha ha. I have rear springs on order so I guess I will wait until I put those on and see how it affects my turning.

Ironically I dont have a heavy rig, its literally empty in the back like a truck but when I turn it sways like I have a lot back there. Maybe its actually because its empty that it moves around more than if it was loaded down. All I know is I used to have one on my F250, and It felt solid so when I looked into it and watched the video on Hellwigs website about what it was supposed to correct, I felt like maybe it would help me out.

djbonsu

Adventurer
Agreed! Are you getting you rear springs from Chris? If so, I think you will be happy with your new rear springs. Heck I take some turns and off ramps at some speeds higher than I probably should and I still havent installed my front sway bar and the van stays pretty planted all things considered.

Jsweezy

Explorer
Yep, I ordered them from Chris and I'm hoping they are everything I (and my wife) want them to be and more. I wish I had the money to put a new front end under here as I am sure this Advanced kit isn't doing me any favors but it's good enough for now. Just trying to do as much as I can to everything else for the time being while saving up to get something new under the front.

Thanks for your help, and sweet van!

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I've always been puzzled by rear sway bars on 4x4 vans. Unless the rig is extremely heavy it shouldn't be needed. I've removed a bunch, it seems that every DeQuig we do has a rear sway bar on it. Someone in the past thought it would tighten up the handling.

How about on a 2WD Ambo? I've wondered about a sway bar also... It's about 8500 lbs and almost 6k on the rear wheels. Handeling is decent for a 8500 lb rig. It has stock shocks, front sway, and a factory steering stabilizer... And sorry Chris no 4WD plans... That's what the 74 Fj40 is for. It's old school, but with 4 wheel discs, 33s, and a 300 hp 350, it gets the job done... And more.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
How about on a 2WD Ambo? I've wondered about a sway bar also... It's about 8500 lbs and almost 6k on the rear wheels. Handeling is decent for a 8500 lb rig. It has stock shocks, front sway, and a factory steering stabilizer... And sorry Chris no 4WD plans... That's what the 74 Fj40 is for. It's old school, but with 4 wheel discs, 33s, and a 300 hp 350, it gets the job done... And more.

Yea, for sure. Something that won't see much articulation and that heavy, I'm surprised it doesn't already have one on it.

BajaSportsmobile

Baja Ironman
I'm in agreement with Chris - you shouldn't need a sway bar on your van.

I also would not do anything until you have installed the new rear springs he is sending you - they will make a big change overall.

The FOX shocks you recently installed don't have much damping in their factory valving, Agile's re-valve would make a big difference.

P.s. Sway bars will have little to no impact on "axle twist/wrap."

Jsweezy

Explorer
Alright I will wait until after the new springs get mounted and then go from there.

Baja - I am sure that Agile could have helped me out and initially I went to them first to get what I was looking for but this was the response I received...

"Hey Josh,

Thanks for your interest in Agile Off Road.

Unfortunately we don't have a cost effective way to offer you a RIP for the Advanced 4x4 conversion.

Let me know if you need more details.

Thanks
John C Brindell"

I am not about to buy or pay for another set of shocks to put on this rear end so it looks like I am stuck with these ones for now.

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94