Rear spare tire carrier options.

Justgosurfin

Here's some additional photos of my bumper. If I had to do it over again, I would apply the changes as noted by mezmochill. There is no need for the top of the bumper to be as wide as it is, and the bottom portion would have been just fine if it started right above the receiver hitch and angled up from there. Less storage but better departure angle for sure. Even though the rearmost bottom of the bumper is 22-1/2" off the ground I still manage to drag it (and the receiver hitch) when crossing deep washouts . But this thing is built hell-for-stout and so far has suffered no damage.View attachment 458058

Note that the top hinge has a hole in it. When the carrier is swung open that hole aligns with a hole in the bottom portion of the hinge; I drop a pin through the hole to hold the carrier open.
View attachment 458059
Side view:
View attachment 458060

From underneath:
View attachment 458061

Driver's side:
View attachment 458062

View attachment 458063

When Kenny built this thing he also made a beveled teflon plate that is slotted and bolts to the bumper beneath the spare tire. As the spare tire wears I can adjust the position of the teflon for the size of the tire so that the bumper continues to hold the weight and not the carrier itself.

Hey thanks again for the pics last summer. Did you use any bearing or bushing on those hinges? Or is it just through bolted and greased a little? Trying to have someone make me one in the coming months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
When I converted to the 10.5 sterling axle I converted the rest of the van to 8x170. When making a new adapter for the aluminess tire carrier I designed it so the tire actually rested on the bumper rather than having all the weight on the unit itself. The other reason I did this is because I’m not getting any younger and wrestling a 35” tire onto that carrier was a pita. Now all I have to do is get the tire on the bumper then line it up with the lug studs. Way easier than trying to lift and position at the same time.

I have the Aluminess carrier too and while it looks nice, I feel like it missed the mark with the hinges. The bottom hinge was welded about 3/32" low resulting in all the weight of the tire resting on the top hinge. I had to add a spacer to the bottom to have equal support and although it was an easy fix, I feel like a $650 tire carrier shouldn't have that defect.

Their customer support is pretty good though.

I'm just doing this as a follow-up. Last fall I returned my Aluminess carrier after I broke it for the third time. I managed to break all 3 mounting points on 3 separate occasions. The bracket that mounts to the van broke twice, once on top, once on the bottom, and the latch is extremely flimsy and failed once. This was after a year of desert driving, some true wheeling, but 95% highway driving. If this thing failed and dropped my spare on the highway then I'd be in big trouble.

Fortunately they refunded my money but my confidence in their product is pretty low. This is one part that really needs to be made from steel.

Justgosurfin

I'm just doing this as a follow-up. Last fall I returned my Aluminess carrier after I broke it for the third time. I managed to break all 3 mounting points on 3 separate occasions. The bracket that mounts to the van broke twice, once on top, once on the bottom, and the latch is extremely flimsy and failed once. This was after a year of desert driving, some true wheeling, but 95% highway driving. If this thing failed and dropped my spare on the highway then I'd be in big trouble.

Fortunately they refunded my money but my confidence in their product is pretty low. This is one part that really needs to be made from steel.

Thanks for your input. I feel the same way about bumpers too.

silvrzuki77

explorer
I’m in the same boat, I didn’t have the $$$ for the aluminess bumper so I built my own as well... have about $300 into using HD spindles. So far 2 Death Valley trips and lots of local trips and no issues!
a592946cb653665c1e88cf3ba14564f5.jpg
4353707d5683e52c794d4676bf6ff284.jpg
2b5e15a7b01a5df9455bd184245a6600.jpg
d2687b481691367e26405682c8526075.jpg
0d540d3ce6d27e350ebd94bdcc2485a2.jpg
51a011ebe48f7921090177b0d9c920b5.jpg

Justgosurfin

I’m in the same boat, I didn’t have the $$$ for the aluminess bumper so I built my own as well... have about $300 into using HD spindles. So far 2 Death Valley trips and lots of local trips and no issues!
a592946cb653665c1e88cf3ba14564f5.jpg
4353707d5683e52c794d4676bf6ff284.jpg
2b5e15a7b01a5df9455bd184245a6600.jpg
d2687b481691367e26405682c8526075.jpg
0d540d3ce6d27e350ebd94bdcc2485a2.jpg
51a011ebe48f7921090177b0d9c920b5.jpg

Looks great! Where do you get the spindles and latches?

silvrzuki77

explorer
Ems Offroad for the HD spindles and I have a local hardware store that sells the latches. I had used comp4x4 in the past and the were horrible to deal with this time!!!! Had to file a complaint against them gave me a bogus tracking number 4 months later got my money back.

Justgosurfin

Ems Offroad for the HD spindles and I have a local hardware store that sells the latches. I had used comp4x4 in the past and the were horrible to deal with this time!!!! Had to file a complaint against them gave me a bogus tracking number 4 months later got my money back.

Thanks. Dang sucks to hear about the latch issue.

I really like how you put the swing arms a little lower. Are you able to fully open the doors?

Justgosurfin

Yeah I didn’t know where things were going to play out and what not. I just got the spindles and tire mount.

Any chance you have any more pics of the bumper build or measurements. I think yours is one of my favorites so far. I can’t weld but I might be in the clear to ask my friend for more favors. Haha I think 6 months is enough time to forget installing axles and everything right?

Len.Barron

Observer
Nice work; you've got a bunch of labor in that thing...I've built a few bumpers and cutting fitting thicker material takes a lot of time. After you build one yourself you know why the shops charge so much and when a buddy says "hey...can you build one for me?" you have to struggle not to slap the beer out of his hand..

Justgosurfin

Nice work; you've got a bunch of labor in that thing...I've built a few bumpers and cutting fitting thicker material takes a lot of time. After you build one yourself you know why the shops charge so much and when a buddy says "hey...can you build one for me?" you have to struggle not to slap the beer out of his hand..

This is why I make a point to bring my buddy more outside work and ALWAYS bring a 12 pack to the shop even just to shoot the breeze. This where there are plenty on available after several have been slapped out of my hand.

$ for big jobs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles