Rear spare tire carrier options.

epinfRN

Howdy y'all.

I would love some input regarding options for a rear-tire carrier. I'm not interested in shelling out $2500 for Aluminess's overpriced (and yet, beautifully crafted) rear bumper with swingarms. The Jeep guys have 1000 options and I refuse to believe that for us the only option would be Aluminess or a hitch-mounted carrier.

I would ideally also find a way to pipe a propane hose in through here for a stove, water heater and furnace and the tank would be mounted in the same or similar area.

I have a 2004 GMC Savana AWD 1500.

Thanks!

epinfRN

Aluminess is doing a tire carrier mount on the stock bumper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is that so? I haven't seen it on their website. Perhaps I need to dig further. Is it just the spare carrier or is it an option for both swing arms?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Re: LPG, just drill a hole in the door and install a bulkhead fitting. I like using an ell so the interior hose is vertical when stowed (door shut) then lays horizontal when the door's opened. Minimizes hose bend and keeps strain off the fittings

epinfRN

Re: LPG, just drill a hole in the door and install a bulkhead fitting. I like using an ell so the interior hose is vertical when stowed (door shut) then lays horizontal when the door's opened. Minimizes hose bend and keeps strain off the fittings

Something along these lines is my plan but I'm having trouble finding an appropriate set up to hold the tank in place. Do you have a photo or two of how you've done yours?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
Mine is an underbody tank. I was referring to running LPG to a generator in the basement of my dad's 5th wheel camper. I've thought before that the horizontal portable tanks have built-in brackets for mounting. Just swap in a vertical valve and bolt the tank wherever you want.

Johny5

Adventurer
This is what I have done . Its not ideal for long term if you use the door everyday. I did do 400 miles of off road with a 33inch tire with no damage to the door . I only keep the tire carrier on when Im doing a road trips . Intown I dont carry a spair.

ihatemybike

Explorer
Detours Offroad's KnuckleBone looks pretty good, starts at $235
Can be mounted in the hitch receiver or offset on a hitch receiver using their alternative mount. Two version available back drop and side drop.
http://detoursusa.com/knucklebone.php

Curt Mfg makes a non-folding tire carrier that can be had for less than $90 without trying too hard.
http://www.curtmfg.com/part/31006

Make it more convenient, get a Hitch Haul Folding Receiver Bar, under $35
https://masterbuilt.com/product/hftb-hitch-haul-folding-receiver-bar/

Quick mod the Curt carrier into a back drop.
http://www.broncoiicorral.com/library/building_a_folding_receiver_mount_tire_carrier.shtml

deserteagle56

Adventurer
I would have bought the Aluminess bumper for its light weight but since it will not allow the rear doors to open fully it would not work for me. My quad barely fits in the rear door opening as it is, with both doors open as wide as Ford engineered them. So I had one of my neighbors build me a bumper that not only allows the rear doors to open fully but also has adjustments so that the gas can carrier and the spare tire actually rest on the rear bumper when closed, thereby taking most of the stress off the carriers. Maybe you can find a shop to build something similar?

This is Basecamp in its natural element:

This shot shows the spare tire carrier arm assembly:

With the carriers and rear doors wide open and the Yamaha Kodiak inside:

Last edited:

Raul

Adventurer
Nice Idea and execution.

I love the detailed pinstripe job on your van. I bet it took a lot of talent. :)

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
That's a lot of pinstriping, do you actually aim for the bushes and trees? LOL

I'm also digging the revised swing out, nice idea

deserteagle56

Adventurer
That's a lot of pinstriping, do you actually aim for the bushes and trees? LOL

I'm also digging the revised swing out, nice idea

Hey, I bought that thing to use! I don't aim FOR the bushes and trees but some of the trails I take it on the bushes and trees meet over the trail and I just shove the van between them. It's equipped with the Superduty "Dumbo Ears" mirrors and those spend most of their time folded up against the body. I don't mind the pinstriping but there's times when the brush scrapes so hard against the rig that it rips off the mud flaps - and it's also cracked one of the fender flares. Just the price I have to pay to play in the remote regions I love!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles