Rear spare tire carrier options.

On Belay

Observer
I'll be following along on this one. I've been looking as well and the Aluminess seems to be about the only option. Man it's pricey though, that's going to be a tough one to swallow. I'd love to see someone come up with a more budget friendly option. I don't really have the skills to fabricate one myself. It seems like there are a million and one people building products for Jeeps and the Trucks I get that there are a lot more of those on the road and the vans a niche market but it seems like someone could do quite well making van parts vs. bringing a 75th bumper option to the Jeep market.

straker101

Observer
I had the same dilemma when I bought my Savana last year. Aluminess had discontinued their tire carrier (for stock rear bumper). However I think they started getting requests last fall so they did a small run of them. I was lucky enough to pick one up for myself and I'm super stoked on it. Turned out amazing. I'd suggest calling Aluminess directly and see if there are plans to do another run of them. If you could find a handful of Savana/Express owners that want them I'm sure they'd accommodate you.
IMG_0681.jpg

I have the Aluminess carrier too and while it looks nice, I feel like it missed the mark with the hinges. The bottom hinge was welded about 3/32" low resulting in all the weight of the tire resting on the top hinge. I had to add a spacer to the bottom to have equal support and although it was an easy fix, I feel like a $650 tire carrier shouldn't have that defect.

Their customer support is pretty good though.

jblaze5779

Observer
I made this for 50 bucks or so.

21192473_10105799225462648_1622704040768067521_n.jpg

21231691_10105799226211148_4803393368527280417_n.jpg

21230991_10105799226370828_1904331234016986186_n.jpg

21106374_10105799226670228_8245770121377171824_n.jpg

Justgosurfin

An
I would have bought the Aluminess bumper for its light weight but since it will not allow the rear doors to open fully it would not work for me. My quad barely fits in the rear door opening as it is, with both doors open as wide as Ford engineered them. So I had one of my neighbors build me a bumper that not only allows the rear doors to open fully but also has adjustments so that the gas can carrier and the spare tire actually rest on the rear bumper when closed, thereby taking most of the stress off the carriers. Maybe you can find a shop to build something similar?

This is Basecamp in its natural element:

This shot shows the spare tire carrier arm assembly:

With the carriers and rear doors wide open and the Yamaha Kodiak inside:
any chance your neighbor saved a copy of his notes if he made any? I have a good metal working friend and your bumper is about the best I’ve seen so far. I really like that you effectively have a nice little bench back there and the tire’s weight on the bumper is genius.

I’ll chat with him this week and get his opinion. Anyone else in need? I’m sure he’d be much happier to help if we did a couple Another_mike?

another_mike

Adventurer
An

any chance your neighbor saved a copy of his notes if he made any? I have a good metal working friend and your bumper is about the best I’ve seen so far. I really like that you effectively have a nice little bench back there and the tire’s weight on the bumper is genius.

I’ll chat with him this week and get his opinion. Anyone else in need? I’m sure he’d be much happier to help if we did a couple Another_mike?
I worry about how long it is and hurting departure angle. But I like the doors to fully open, much easier loading sheets of full sized ply and such like that.

mezmochill

Is outside
I worry about how long it is and hurting departure angle. But I like the doors to fully open, much easier loading sheets of full sized ply and such like that.

You could have it more wedge shaped rising from the bottom. That would steepen the angle some. Could also make it asymmetrical and have most of the "platform" under the tire only. This would make the bumper less deep and tall overall except under the tire.

Aesthetically less pleasing but alot more functional as far as departure angle.

Overall your buddys design is an interesting and functional way to get the weight off the hinge.(y)

another_mike

Adventurer
You could have it more wedge shaped rising from the bottom. That would steepen the angle some. Could also make it asymmetrical and have most of the "platform" under the tire only. This would make the bumper less deep and tall overall except under the tire.

Aesthetically less pleasing but alot more functional as far as departure angle.

Overall your buddys design is an interesting and functional way to get the weight off the hinge.(y)
Yea, I think about 6" less and it would probably still adequately support the tire.

Justgosurfin

Try CBI they have some options for rear spare tire carrying if you have a 2 inch hitch receiver.
Hitch mount is nice but again limits departure angle. I think a more angled version of the one above would be sweet. Save the departure but still have a nice bench/shelf for whatever.

deserteagle56

Adventurer
Here's some additional photos of my bumper. If I had to do it over again, I would apply the changes as noted by mezmochill. There is no need for the top of the bumper to be as wide as it is, and the bottom portion would have been just fine if it started right above the receiver hitch and angled up from there. Less storage but better departure angle for sure. Even though the rearmost bottom of the bumper is 22-1/2" off the ground I still manage to drag it (and the receiver hitch) when crossing deep washouts . But this thing is built hell-for-stout and so far has suffered no damage.P1120386r.jpg

Note that the top hinge has a hole in it. When the carrier is swung open that hole aligns with a hole in the bottom portion of the hinge; I drop a pin through the hole to hold the carrier open.
P1120387r.jpg
Side view:
P1120389r.jpg

From underneath:
P1120392r.jpg

Driver's side:
P1120393er.jpg

P1120396r.jpg

When Kenny built this thing he also made a beveled teflon plate that is slotted and bolts to the bumper beneath the spare tire. As the spare tire wears I can adjust the position of the teflon for the size of the tire so that the bumper continues to hold the weight and not the carrier itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles