Rear Lockers

I'm all about lockers and when my diff blows up, I'll upgrade with ARB's; just don't want to crack into a good system when I have other things going. I think all of us agree that lockers are awesome, just an initial purchase requirement that I would pass up a great deal on a well-maintained truck. If we went by all of the posts in this forum on differentials, a high-mileage diff is a timebomb anyway so I would consider that more than anything at purchase when coming to differential considerations. I'm at 106k right now on mine, I maintain the gearboxes to the manufacturer spec and all the great advice here but I would be lying if I didn't say I am concerned about the life remaining and I do not have any indications of a failing diff.........knock on wood!

I agree with @Ray_G on the tires comment; best mod I've done to date and plan to pick up some BMW wheels that I can put KO2's on so I can ditch the 18" wheels altogether. The KM2's will get replaced with KM3's when that time comes but hopefully, that is a long way down the road........rubber is pricey!

homeguy

Observer
I’ve got ARB lockers front and rear. I wouldn’t discount and OX locker or even a TrueTrac. Lockers help in many situations when you have one wheel in the air. JMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jwestpro

Explorer
If I added an ARB air locker to a RRS, would it mess anything up with the computer or the terrain select features?

I can’t find a RRS with a rear locker anywhere.

Full disclosure, I prefer many engineering features of the RRS and RR but the space and flexibility of functions of the LR3/4 won out for me, even after buying a new 2007 RRSC (fullsize). A RRS SC is just that RRS-SC vs RRSC ;) I studied them in depth though at the time.

A few things:

1- Are you familiar with what the different models offered as standard? FYI ALL Supercharged RR and RRS have rear locker as standard factory equipment. This goes back to my 2007 RRSC I had as well as RRS back then. I am fairly sure it is still the case. So, find a SC RRS and you have found a locker.

2-let this give you something to ponder, SOME RRS had a cool feature called "dynamic handling" or something like that. Yes, it made it WAY more fun to drive on mtn roads and at 90+ on the interstate BUT, it also had a feature where in low range off road, the sway bar would/could disconnect making it MORE flexible off road than any non SC RRS. Isn't that cool?! So, if I am correct, the RRS has equal suspension travel to the LR3/4 which if correct, makes the RRS-SC MORE capable off road.... odd right. Except the inside is too small and driver sight lines are slightly reduced, at least in the 2nd generation RRS.

3-both RRS-SC and RRSC have a high speed sensing auto lowering while RRS may not and lr3 doesn't and lr4 probably doesn't.

4-cargo space and by default, 3rd row, lr3/4 obviously win. No contest. RRS sucks for interior space both in heigh, length slant of rearmot zone, etc. Roof is shorter so less rack space, upper hatch is sort of weird, etc, etc. Stadium seating is not as good but seats are better in some models. RR interior is in between in that the cargo is kinda blah but the 1st/2nd row is very nice yet like the RRS, the 2nd row seats are very much in the way taking up massive space. The RRS 2nd row is obnoxious to me.

The lr3/4 2ne row was a WOW factor for my uses. Especially with ability to remove just the center seat, OMG that's so awesome. True definition of "form follows function" Yet the split tail gate is pretty dorky IMO. The RR tailgate is better but the squared off lr3/4 rear is better so it still wins handily overall.

5-rear locker.....just fricking pay $2000 or less to have the ARB installed which ALSO introduces a multi usable onboard air compressor if you set it up that way. Add in a 2nd battery and you're in the game. Forget bumpers, racks, etc. until later. For that matter LOL I still don't have a rear locker yet I've done trails here rated "black, expert, short wheelbase 35", etc, etc"

6-comparing all factory new, the RR actually has the best ground clearance at the differentials. Something is different in the design back there but also the components are higher grade on the RR. Buying a used vehicle now, say like doing it all over again, I'd be having a hard time not trying to make the RR work by removing the 2nd row seats. But then I immediately remember I love that I have a 2nd fuel tank in spare tire location and tall floor to ceiling interior. The RR is the best vehicle though as far as just comparing machinery and components, trim, etc. ******** ******** ******** now I want a RRSC again ;)

So, point is, I'd choose the base vehicle on your needs first, size, comfort, off road capability. You can add stuff to any of them.

Blaise

Anything you can do will help off road. These things are heavy with poor wheel travel. They use the electronics to overcome the inherent bad off road design but it has its limits and can be beaten in the right situations. In those cases a locker really helps.

13" of travel is poor?

Heavy I'll agree with...

99Discovery

Adventurer
After coming from my L322, the limiting factor is tire and tire selection over locker or no locker. Next is sliders and armor. Then maybe we can discuss if lockers are required.

Now, with the LR3/LR4 you'll have more aftermarket options to get it "trail ready" (over my L322) but you'll likely be spending $6-$10k on tires/rims/armor/bumpers/lift rods or diagnostic computers/winch/roof rack, etc. before you even *need* to consider a locker for your intended use. At that point, the ARB is your best bet (did they finally release them? I've read the expo review, but I don't know of anyone who actually "got" them for the LR3/4?)

With the L322, I really can't mount armor, so I'm stuck with 4/10 rated trails max (using the Moab scale), and I frankly do not need a locker for that. With a fully kitted out LR3/LR4, I've read of people doing Golden Spike (where a locker would help), and they were scraping their underbelly quite often thanks to the break-over and the way IFS/IRS can limit ground clearance while rock crawling (despite being cross-linked).

None of that should scare you though, since most trails aren't that highly rated anyway. And if you do want some more hard-core technical capability, it'd be cheaper to buy a Disco 2 (or dare I say a Jeep?) for when you want to tackle 6+ rated trails and tastefully build a mult-purpose platform on your LR4 for the easier stuff (and 90% of the available trails in the US).

You'll be much happier in the end, IMO.

I own both, and I want to wheel my L322 more (because it's so comfy and fun), but the Disco 2 can handle more technical terrain. And even then, I'm considering true-tracs over lockers and the added stress they cause on the stock axles.

Quite honestly, I would value 18" rims over a locker when hunting for an LR3/LR4 any day. I just don't think the dimensions/design/weight of the vehicle really requires a rear locker and it shouldn't be a deal-breaker IMO. It's just not going to be on the same trails as say a 100" wheelbased disco or even a 4Runner TRD-Trail with a 109.8" wheelbase.

That's not a knock on the LR4, it's the class leader within it's element, but it's definitely not designed from the ground up to take on the Camel Trophy...

Ray_G

Explorer
99Discovery’s remarks are solid-but for the Dii comments ;). (Buy a D1!)

I would point out the Camel Trophy reference is a great chance to note: CT trucks...only had the CDL.

Just points further to the idea that the driver, and the intended purpose of the truck, really is a more important variable than becoming tied to one optional characteristic.
R-
Ray

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94