Rear gate inside handle ideas?

Numbchux

We camp in the back of our Outback occasionally. It'd be really nice to be able to open the rear gate from the inside. Anyone have ideas for installing one where there wasn't one? Might be easiest to get a universal lock actuator and wire in a button, but I'd prefer a mechanical option if I can make it work.

thebmrust

Same question that nearly every suburban owner with barn doors asks. (Including me...)

I plan to do this mod myself (to my 99 suburban w barn doors) but have not had even an iota of build time in the last 6+ months.

javajoe79

Fabricator
Should be really easy to do. Just take the paneling off and have a look at how the latch works and go from there. A cable hooked up to pull on the latch mechanism usually works really well.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I've seen people drill a small hole in the inner panels to route hand throttle and hood release cables to pull the release mechanism.

lilkia

On my suburban I took some 130lb test mono and made a tether that is tied around the latch cable. Its tucked into the edge of the inside trim panel. Only a small part sticks out so my dogs cant open it by accident. Grab the piece pull out the big loop and tug. Door pops right open. Then tuck it back under the trim. Im thinking of switching the mono to 550 cord and just having a small knot on the end.
Subaru should be similar. Take off the panel and just see how the latch works and use some cord to make a pull string.

Numbchux

Yea, a cable would work. I also want a pull handle to ease closing the gate from the inside. So I'm picturing something like this
77661-002.JPG

That's the Dorman exterior handle for a '94-03 Dodge van. Which would be easy enough to mount to a flat surface, but it'll take some experimenting to find one that works well with the linkage. Someday I'll take it apart and see how it works and start experimenting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior