Rear door storage

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
I decided to show my van some love this weekend. I have wanted to get some storage for little things that I just didnt want to throw in a tool box or a tote and have them bouncing around the back of my rig. I have seen a few of the MOLLE panels that they make for Jeeps and have often thought that they would be perfect for the back doors of my van. I have looked all over the web trying to find some that I could adapt to fit and I cant see spending a bunch of money on something I was just going to cut to fit and hope that it didnt look too ghetto when finished. So after some brain storming I picked up a few MOLLE pouches from my local army surplus store, took some measurements for the strap spacing, and started looking for a away to attach them to my doors. I found that 1"x1" steel welded mesh would do the trick(edit.1-1/4"x 1-1/4" would have been better, straps are a tite fit). I found a 4'x8' sheet at the steel yard that was damaged on one corner so they couldnt sell it as a complete sheet, but they could sell it as scrap. I got the whole sheet for $60 out the door( if I were to buy at full price it would have been $240... nice score if I do say so:wings:). Next I hit up the depot and got some hardware along with some 1/4" cable clamps to attach the mesh to the door panels. After a couple hours in my shop I came up with this.....
drivers side.jpgpass. side.jpg
so what do ya think?

Last edited:

Arctic Travelller

Adventurer
While on a long road trip, the small stuff kept rattling around begging for a home. I finally bought one of those "bucket pal's". The ones that slip over a five gallon plastic pail and have a ton of pockets. I cut it up into four pieces, and attached one to the dog house on the passenger side so my wife would have a place for all the little things she uses during the day, like pencils and pens, calculator, hair brush, glasses cleaners, maps etc. I mounted the second one to the back of the plastic tub that sits between the seats, and still have two more with plenty of pockets waiting to be mounted. Total cost was about $9.00. It looks a little funky, but now I rarely have to empty the dog house to find that little item.................Arctic Traveller

Ironhead

Observer
Rear door storage, very cool idea. Im actually gona steal it cuz I likes it so much. However I think Ill remove my panels for in the door storage and then put the mesh on hinges over the top so that i can access behind them.

Shlaytim

AZBADAZ
Hey guys, thanks for the reply's and positive feed back. So many of you have contributed and inspired me while I lerk in the back ground, I figured why not share what I'm doin with you all. It was a fun little project and it's nice to know I have all my stuff right were I want it, not all over the back of my van. I have some other ideas for the mesh and MOLLE pouches that I will post as I get them completed. Thanks again ya'll:victory:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior