Rear diff vibes and leak, need help diagnosing? 2002 4Runner

Chadman

I started getting rear vibes about 2000 miles after installing OME 880,906 suspension on my 2002 4Runner. The vibes come in around 60-65 mph. I inspected and found the rear diff is leaking but I'm not sure where from. There is a an oil spot to the right of the pumpkin on the passenger side. doesn't seem to be coming from any cracks or crevices. Kinda weird. pics attached.

Attachments

• reardiff2.jpg
    reardiff2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • reardiff1.jpg
    reardiff1.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 20

keezer37

Explorer
I'd check the fluid level, top it off if necessary, wire brush the area, clean it with a degreaser and monitor it daily to see the point of origin.

98roamer

Explorer
Vibrations: I also had a small vib after installing the 906 but it went away after thoroughly greasing all the u-joints and shafts and driving a few thousand miles.

Leak: My 98 4runner just started the rear diff leak. I have no obvious spots after cleaning but noticed that the fill plug was lose. I just did a drain and fill of the rear diff this weekend so I'll be watching. There's reports of the rear diff rusting completely through from spots like where the emergency brake bracket attaches. I'll be watching mine hoping it was just a lose plug, but will see. Our rust looks the same, btw.

What do you think of the 880 concerning the ride and what struts did you go with/have? I'm needing new struts.
Thanks
Lance

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles