Rear Cargo Shelf

greynolds

Observer
I somewhat hijacked mk216v's O'erlanderwagon thread earlier to ask about carpet for the top of a cargo shelf, but figured it made sense to start a new thread.

I'm in the process of building a platform (no drawers, just open space underneath) and am not happy with the carpet I have at the moment to wrap the pieces of the platform. What I have is some carpet I got from Parts Express that's intended for wrapping portable speakers and such and I'm not confident that it will hold up well. So I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good source for carpet for this sort of application?

The plan is to use a 3/4" sheet of plywood wrapped in carpet, install L-Track around all 4 edges and then another one down the center (front to back). To keep the entire surface close to flat, the plan is to install 1/4" sections of carpeted plywood in the areas between the L-Tracks. I'll also install a vertical piece of 3/4" plywood (also carpeted) in the middle of the platform to give it plenty of support if I need to transport something heavy on top (or use it as a sleeping platform with the rear seats folded down). The platform will be held down to the factory tie down points using eyes attached to the bottom and turnbuckles connecting the eyes and factory tie downs, unless I come up with a better solution to hold it in place.

So the top would be setup something like this ASCII drawing, where "=" and "||" represent L-Track sections, and **** would be where the 1/4" carpeted plywood pieces go:

=================================
||*************||**************||
=================================

After doing some further searching, I think I may have found a better option instead of the carpeted 1/4" plywood between the L-Tracks. I found a source for rubber matting like is often used on gym floors:

http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/rubber-roll/residential-rubber-roll.html

1/4" or 3/8" rubber mats might be perfect to fill in the space between the L-Tracks to make for a flat, non-slip, fairly easy to clean, and durable surface. If I can cut them to fit tightly enough around the edges, I might be able to just fit them in without any adhesive, which would make it easy to replace them later if they wear out. What do others think?

I'll install pieces of wood on the underside left and right that will serve 2 purposes. The first will be to raise the platform up so that I'll have an almost perfectly flat surface to use when the back seats are folded down. The 2nd will be to countersink the bolts used to attach the L-Tracks to the top so that the bolts don't sit on the wheel wells and mark them up.

I did a very rough first pass of just sitting a sheet of 3/4" plywood (wrapped in the carpet from Parts Express) on top of the wheel wells (no support in the middle) for my recent trip to Newfoundland as I didn't have time to finish the job prior to the trip. It worked out great as we were able to stash smaller items, such as our camera tripods and other camera gear, under the shelf and then put bulkier items, such as duffel bags of clothes and our cooler, on top of the shelf.

I took delivery of the (brand new) G about a week before we left on the trip. I was able to put about 300 miles on before the trip and we added another 3300 over a 2 week period. I'm very happy with it so far and glad that I decided to trade my 2014 Range Rover in for it.

And since I know that nothing actually exists without pictures, here are a few iPhone photos, one showing my G somewhere in Newfoundland during the trip and the other showing the temporary version of the platform just before we left for the trip to test fit some of the stuff we brought with us.

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
This is the carpet I've been using at several points in my build:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

I've used it on a bed/cargo platform, and to wrap around the various boxes I've built. The nap is a bit more "plush" than the cheap speaker-box stuff, and so far it's wearing very well. I like that there's a range of colors, too. I got the sample board first and used it to find the best match to my OEM carpet before ordering several yards...

greynolds

Observer
This is the carpet I've been using at several points in my build:
http://www.yourautotrim.com/80wideozite.html

I've used it on a bed/cargo platform, and to wrap around the various boxes I've built. The nap is a bit more "plush" than the cheap speaker-box stuff, and so far it's wearing very well. I like that there's a range of colors, too. I got the sample board first and used it to find the best match to my OEM carpet before ordering several yards...
Thanks! I'll order a sample board and go from there. I'm still considering the rubber mat for the top, but this material would probably be perfect for the rest of the project.

mbuckner

Adventurer
Buy some gray carpet that they use in large office spaces; get from Lowe's or Home Depot.

It will work for this application.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Buy some gray carpet that they use in large office spaces; get from Lowe's or Home Depot.

It will work for this application.

Ehhh, in my opinion you don't want carpet with a latex backing for anything where you need it to conform to shapes. Also, that stuff breaks down and leaves the pebbly residue.

mbuckner

Adventurer
Ehhh, in my opinion you don't want carpet with a latex backing for anything where you need it to conform to shapes. Also, that stuff breaks down and leaves the pebbly residue.

Well, after 5 years in the Arizona desert it has not broke down, come apart, etc, and I was able to
form it like it needed for the back of my TJ.

Good luck with your project,

Mike

greynolds

Observer
Thanks guys. I also found a few sources for the OEM "Finetuft Velour" carpet - it isn't cheap at around $70 a yard (gulp), but assuming I ordered the correct color it would obviously be a nearly perfect match to the rest of the interior.

http://www.topsandseats.com/store/card/17.php

http://www.classic9leathershop.com/carpet-for-porsche/imported-german-finetuft-velour-mercedes-carpet-by-the-yard/

It's available with and without backing - I suspect I would want it without backing for my application as it should be easier to work with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier