Rear Bumper w/ Swingout Tire Carrier for F150... Why doesn't this exist!?!?

Chunks

Does anyone make a rear bumper like that shown below for an F150? If not, is there a good reason? Thoughts and/or recommendations on having one fabricated or modifying an existing part are appreciated.

1626867431343.png

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Aluminess makes bumpers with or w/o swing-aways for most years of Ford Superduty. Someone more knowledgeable about trucks would have to confirm if that's limited to the F250/F350 models or if they can fit to the F150. I imagine payload is a consideration - even fabbed from mostly aluminum, once kitted out, these are not lightweight things...

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Yeah, Aluminess is only for super duty and vans.

It does have to be custom fabbed and it will be $$$$. Raul B on here had one fabbed up and it looked pretty sweet.

Chunks

Thanks for the feedback... Seems like a missed market, ya know... The F150 is the most popular truck in North America.

If such thing can bit fitted to a Tundra why not an F150... the Ford's payload is greater, according to the inter-webs.

I am generally confused by the lack of interest in F150's for Overlanding, at least in North America. But what do I know, clearly very little.

Porkchopexpress

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but you can install a hitch carrier that basically extends the reciever but still gives you plenty of capacity, (Rigd ultra hitch is 10,000 lbs).

Here is one for sale on this forum:

And here:

Chunks

Maybe I'm stating the obvious but you can install a hitch carrier that basically extends the reciever but still gives you plenty of capacity, (Rigd ultra hitch is 10,000 lbs).

Here is one for sale on this forum:

And here:

Thank you for that recommendation. I am aware of those... but, at the risk of being a vain, I don't really like how those look. I also wonder about long term durability since they're going to experience more torsional stress at the hitch mount. Plus, I'd like the bonus of high lift points on an integrated bumper... I am so needy

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the feedback... Seems like a missed market, ya know... The F150 is the most popular truck in North America.

If such thing can bit fitted to a Tundra why not an F150... the Ford's payload is greater, according to the inter-webs.

I am generally confused by the lack of interest in F150's for Overlanding, at least in North America. But what do I know, clearly very little.

Toyota rules the game in overland stuff, especially in so cal where I am. I cant go 5 miles without seeing a taco or T4R completely decked out with overland stuff.

You might be able to find one for the raptor. What year is your truck? 90% of aftermarket support for the raptor crowd will fit on the newer generation F150's. Not sure what they have in regards to swing outs but cant hurt to look.

dbhost

Check with Buckstop. I know they at least used to make them both for Super Duty, and F150 trucks...

skrypj

Yeah I think its probably because the 35's will fit underneath, unlike a Toyota 4Runner which cant even fit a 33. I have a 315/70R17 on a 17x9 wheel under my 2014 right now and it fit no problem at 37 psi. I don't think anyone who is serious about offroading an F150 is running anything larger than a 35 because then you are talking about a 4"+ lift. I was able to squeeze my 315/70's in with the stock suspension, even on +12mm offset wheels, but just barely and I do get a brief rub at the back of the drivers wheel well once in a while

I had to put spacers on the rear sway bar on my Lexus GX460(same frame as a 4Runner), and slide the trailer hitch back as far as possible just to stuff a deflated 285/70R17 under mine. Oh, and I have a ratchet strap compressing the tire against the hitch to get me just a little extra room. It still rubs on the panhard bar in certain situations. To my knowledge, i am the only one attempting to run a 285/70 in the spare location. So basically the Toyotas have to have a 32.5" or larger tire mounted to either the rear door or the bumper and therefore they have the options available via the aftermarket.

Last edited:

Grassland

Booyeah!
I wish I had money and room for a reg cab Short box.

Also note that aftermarket hitches may effect the fitment of the spare. I have an aftermarket hitch and that's my closest spot. Right now the 34x10.5R17 at 45 psi fits, a size bigger would be tight. OEM hitch and I'd have more room I think

Chunks

Really appreciate all the input and discussion... Here's the build so far. Comments, suggestion, scathing criticisms, and ad hominem attacks welcomed!

Next month she (Code Name: Heidi) get legs and shoes. Fox 2.5 w/ DSC all around and Deaver HD +1" leafs. Tires and wheels are LT315\70\R17 KO2 (...on the band wagon too!) mounted to Evo Corse wheels in matte black.

Should I start a build thread or would that obnoxious, as I am VERY new member?

1626914364993.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles