Rear Bumper Recommendations?

SBSYNCRO

I'm currently running a Smittybilt Atlas Rear bumper and I'd like to replace it with something that is a bit lighter weight and has a better "profile" (narrower, closer to the body).

Here is my "wish list" of features:
  • Must be rated to tow 3,500 lbs
  • Accommodate a 7-pin towing plug
  • Swing-away tire carrier that can accommodate a 35" tire (having it swing open with the tailgate would be a nice bonus)
  • Ability to add NATO or Scepter cans at some point in the future
  • Carry a high-lift jack
  • Doesn't require extensive frame or body modifications
So far the ONLY rear bumper I have found that meets these criteria (other than the one I already have) is the LOD Destroyer, which looks pretty slick. I've also looked at the RockHard unit but really don't like the style.

Before I pull the trigger on the Destroyer, I am curious if there are other options out there I haven't found... Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

58D57933-A51B-4C4A-AC1E-C6ED27E1C1E0.jpeg
I’ve got the LOD Destroyer in exactly the arrangement you’re looking for. It is awesome, but it is heavy with all the gear on it as seen here. I added Teraflex Outback rear springs to account for the extra weight. I also installed a 7 pin trailer connector into the rear light blanking plate on the left side of the bumper. Works great and doesn’t limit departure angle at all. Thumbs up on the LOD from me!

SBSYNCRO

View attachment 688371
The 7 pin trailer connector can be seen in this photo just above the red shackle.

That’s a clever idea…. I’ve been agonizing over whether to go with an “all in one” unit like the LOD or a bumper that utilizes the factory hitch (which i'd have to buy, since it was removed by the PO when the Smittybilt was installed)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I too have the Atlas, and like it except for the massive weight and the incessant squeaking when dusty. At the time I was looking at Shrockworks but found a used Atlas at a can’t walk away price. Since I was planning to cut into it and weld it anyway I jumped on used.

One massive drawback to this bumper is that the swing is right above the hitch, so unless you tow with a dropped hitch, your tongue needs to be clean and flat on the whole top. That presented some challenges for my trailer!

SBSYNCRO

One massive drawback to this bumper is that the swing is right above the hitch, so unless you tow with a dropped hitch, your tongue needs to be clean and flat on the whole top. That presented some challenges for my trailer!

I have this exact problem. With my Max Coupler hitch installed, I can't open the rear gate to access my fridge. Total PITA, as I always have to unhook and disassemble at camp unless I want to climb in through the back doors every time I want a cold beer. I'm wondering if the LOD would be better) or something with a factory hitch)...

Can one of you with the LOD Destroyer tell me how much clearance there is between the top of the receiver tube and the bottom of a 35" tire? Thanks!

4E56DD07-42B0-4547-8A47-651641F731FE.jpeg
I’m not sure why the pic is sideways, but there is about 4-1/2 inches. This is with the tire mount at the upper most setting and a 35” BFG KO2.
EF8CB8F2-268A-4C36-8F79-CCB2AEA24858.jpeg
I used to pull this camp trailer, plenty of hitch clearance with the high angle Black Series hitch. I also pull an M101 military trailer with a pintle hitch and there is just enough room to flip up the pintle.

SBSYNCRO

Thanks!
4E56DD07-42B0-4547-8A47-651641F731FE.jpeg

Thanks! Thats definitely better than mine. Looks like it will be VERY close...

IMG_6310.JPG

Last edited:

SBSYNCRO

I solved this a little differently…

I took the hitch apart, flipped it, and bolted it to a standard Reese 3”? Drop receiver. It ends up being about an inch or so lower than the swing.

If I do that my trailer looks like it’s taking a nose dive and all the contents end up mashed against the front. It’s on 35’s and a tall lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SBSYNCRO

LoD has my vote to, been a rock solid setup. I installed my 7way plug between the reverse light and receiver.

That looks different from the current version of the "destroyer". But I like the placement of the 7-way plug. Thats one of the things I will need to figure out

dirtcrazy

Observer
Your right, looked at their website and they no longer offer the signature series in the rear, still very happy with it.

Rube2K6

Observer
Look at Hanson Offroad. I have their bumpers and rack on my TJ. Made up some Roto Pax mounts for fuel. Very happy with the quality.

wandererr

Adventurer
I used one of the light openings on my rear bumper to host the 7 pin connector. I just fabbed a plate that had the shape of the light.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior