Rear axle seal/bearing

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
So I consider my self mechanically inclined and know when I'm over my head and need to take it to someone professional. This is on a 98 Tacoma 4x4 TRD. I don't have any SST equipment so it would be done in a well stocked garage. Or is this going to be something that quickly gets over my head? Also It's really just leaking, the bearing play seems to be in spec on both sides, so would it be ok to just replace the seals and wait on the bearings, or should I go ahead with the whole sha-bang. Thanks for any help, Hudsen.

AxleIke

Adventurer
You can build a tool, but you need an old axle housing to do it. You can knock the bearing out, using the tool, by hand, but its more controlled with a press. I'm not sure that the SST, or the makeshift tool are NECESSARY, but I do know they make it much easier.

I have a tool another person made and then sold off the trucks that he had, and it works pretty well. Sorry that doesn't do you much good as you are in GA, but I can take a picture when I get home in a few days, if you want to build one.

I do a lot of needless maintenance, like replace everything when I have to go into something, whether it needs it or not. I'm sure I spend a lot of money and time that I don't need to, but it makes me happy, so why not?

However, if you don't have anyone around with a tool, or the ability to do this easily, I'd just replace the seals, assuming you don't have noise/excessive play in the bearings.

Just my .02

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Yea I don't know anyone close to me that has a press I can borrow or the required tool. I do the same thing you do, when one part is replaced, I replace everything for good measure pertaining to whats going on. Guess I'll just do the seals then, checked the play - good - and there is no noise, just a leak.

However if you don't mind I would like a couple pics of the tool, It's always fun to build stuff, and I'll probably need it later on down the road. Thanks, Hudsen

paranoid56

Adventurer
the hardest part of getting that old bearing off. i have had my 50ton machine almost max out trying to get them out.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
the hardest part of getting that old bearing off. i have had my 50ton machine almost max out trying to get them out.

Just curious, why does it always seem to be like that with toyota? That's a lot of pressure for it to not just pop right out.

AxleIke

Adventurer

That's odd. Most I've seen do it with a 12 ton without issue. My 20 ton has done several, never had an issue. Were yours damaged? Mine and a few others were just replaced because, but had not been damaged or spun.

Stone_Blue

Adventurer
Years ago i had to do mine on an '88 PU. I didnt have the SST, and didnt have time to source an old axle housing and make one.
So I pulled everything, then took just the axles/backing plates to a Toyota dealer and had them swap in the new bearings I had sourced elsewhere. They charged me full hour or two labor, but it was quick and easy. Unfortunately, the bonehead tech damaged one of the inner bearing seals (they are a sealed bearing), so I had to go back and pitch a fit to the Service Manager to get them to replace it with a new bearing. One thing that helped my case, was that I had sourced the same Koyo bearing that is OEM, so he couldnt give me the excuse that I was just trying to get an OEM bearing at "discount"...lol

So that might be an option if you trust your local dealership techs.

tacoma_AL

Adventurer
Thanks for the idea stone_blue, while I will never trust my local Toyota techs since the local dealer buy out, we do have a local spring company I do trust will do the job of pressing them out, now to find a way down there with the plates off haha. Honestly didn't think about them. Thanks again yall for the help, Hudsen

paranoid56

Adventurer
yea, it really depends on your truck. like i said above i have had them take a full 50t, but i have also had some removed by just slamming the axle on a piece of wood and using only the weight of the drum brakes have them pop off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles