rear axle noise

shultzie

Observer
Hey guys. Been coming to this site for the last four years to help me with issues I've had which has been great but now I cant find my problem. I drive a 2005 Jeep TJ with a D35 with limited slip. The Jeep has 54,000 miles on it.

When I take off and turn I get a grinding like sound coming from the rear and is worse on a incline. It does not do this every time I turn and never when going straight. When I stick my head out the window it sounds like its coming from the driver rear wheel. My first thought was spider gears but opened up my axle and everything looked great. Then I thought maybe my wheel bearing or something with the brakes in the drum but I pulled the axles and checked both sides and can't find the issue. Bearings look good. Brakes seem as they should. I did notice the one of the spider gears with the pin through it has just the smallest more movement than the other but thought it might just be from the torque of the driveshaft moving. I don't know enough about that to know if its a problem or not. I just picked this jeep up not long ago to replace my 97 TJ that I just sold and I've had it since 2001. It looks like the gear oil has never been changed. Is that a issue with limited slip?

Any info would be much appreciated.

I can go take pics if needed maybe you can see something I don't.

Thanks in advance.

Mitch502

Explorer
Make sure nothing is rubbing. My exhaust hanger was worn out and every time I would take a turn or hit a larger bump the exhaust would hit my tires. Other than that I'd check the u joints (grinding noise can be u joints even if they seem good from what I've read. I had a terrible sound inside the cab like a bad rear end. U joint made out quite a bit better)

Other than that, it is a D35...what size tires are you running? Replace fluid with good stuff...lucus seems good.

Cant speak to the spider gears, but I would assume minor play is somewhat expected.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Could be your limited slip clutch packs, they will do that when worn. But make sure it's not something else rubbing like mentioned above.

shultzie

Observer
Thanks guys!
I will go check things out you mentioned. I will change out my rear u-joints tonight I have a few laying around and never thought about the clutch pack. Are they known to go out quickly? As for tires I'm running a 31" BFG KO. I don't do any hard off road just hit forest service roads to explore.

Mitch502

Explorer
A dana 35 will hold up fine under your circumstances. Generally speaking they're a weaker axle.

Did you change your rear diff fluid? Did you add friction modifier if there wasn't already some in the gear oil?

shultzie

Observer
Yeah I used a 80w90 with the friction modifier in it. Took it for the drive and didn't make the noise. I'm changing the front now and ill go back out and see what happens. Didn't find anything loose underneath it. The last time the PO changed the diff oil was at 37,000 miles in 2009. The gear oil was black. You think this had anything to do with it? I feel like Im going to still hear the noise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles