Really want a Finch, need some Guidance

camper101

Observer
Camper101,
I'll do that with my insurance company and hopefully they can wrap their heads around it, big investment in case of a rollover or something:S i want to get the thermal pack that FWC offers and am told that it helps with condensation...assuming that the thermal layers just absorb the moisture instead of it appearing on the walls of the pop up material..anyone chime in on this? mildew problems more of a possibility when using camper in cold conditions? like I've said though i can pop the camper in the garage for dryouts/clean outs ect
You'll still get condensation with the Arctic Pack - you just won't see as much of it (you'll only see what's on the ceiling and windows). It sticks to the vinyl walls for the most part. If you drop the top and pack up while it's still wet, you'll have water on the Arctic Pack. You'll just want to air it out soon after you get home. I assume the mildew is only a problem if you leave the moisture in there long enough.

rayct77

Observer
As far as financing, you may want to look at refinancing your pickup and use the equity to buy your camper. If you have the equity it can be a great way to go and you can often end up with a better interest rate as well. I did this and ended up only having to come up with about $3k to buy my camper outright.

Peace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Cobblecrazy please post pictures when you get it! that sounds like an epic rig!
thanks for your suspension input, i think i will stick with the 5100s for now with a toytec coil for front and the OME leaf pack you spoke of for the front, im hoping the rear isn't to stiff when i am empty, the guys at Tacomaworld forum say it should be just fine, honestly not a big four wheeler, just need to get to trail heads and hunting/climbing/fishing/biking destinations without wanting to drive my truck off a cliff....one day i'll build a crawler!
a good rug is a great idea, I've slept in my truck box under a basic truck canopy with the tailgate down for snowboard trips way to many times in -20 Celcius....-4 Fahrenheit so anything more sheltered/warm/dry then that will be dreamy!

Here it sits as of now. The camper should be done mid Sept.

09cb9e08279964b19c1a2112a77e0ea2.jpg

And a pic of the shocks

3510ab2965f0cec2afd3fb07556c19d6.jpg

bimmeryota

Observer
bimmeryota,
i think the first thing i will do before even putting in the Finch order is get the suspension ordered, I'm looking at toytec coilover 5100 adjustables in the front and OME dakar leaf packs in the back for a small lift, those packs should be plenty for the weight from what I've read on here, and if it sags a little still; I will look to airbags

I just got the OME springs for my truck but got the medium level and it's a huge difference from my Downey springs. I kept the airbags since I plan on using the truck from time to time unloaded plus I wanted to have the adjustability. The shop that did the springs took off the bags without me telling them by mistake and I saw it sitting without the bags and it wasn't bad but it was definitely lower in the drivers side. I has them out back on(which they didn't do correctly so I had to sit there and baby sit them when I brought it back) and for the truck to sit level I need to have between 20 and 30 psi in the driver side and hardly any on the passenger. I was considering putting the additional leaf on the drivers side if I dumped the bags to compensate. But for now I will keep the bags to keep it even. I may modify the top mount to be higher and get some up travel back and minimize the pinching potential.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Finch installed on the Tacoma

Just a quick couple pics of the new camper on my Tacoma. And, my impressions of the suspension mods now that the camper is on there.

I noticed about a 3" sag when the camper was put on - measured from the ground to the top of the rear wheel well (41" to 38") - but I had the setup sitting "*** high" so it almost perfectly evened out the front and rear. A few weeks prior to picking up the camper I was at FWC and we were able to get in touch with Chris from the Colorado FWC as they apparently put in the extra leaf in the Dakar. From what I gathered the more stuff you're going to hall, the more you're going to leave the camper on the truck, or the more extreme you might take it, they suggest the extra leaf. It's a $57 investment (per Toyteclift's website) and would raise the truck about 1/2" (downside being stiffer when the camper was not on). I've had the rig at freeway speeds, and down backroad twisties, and I have not noticed any "sway" or feeling of it being top heavy in any fashion. I noticed some slight additional "bounce" in the shocks in some more extreme off road rollers, but, again, I did not feel that it was overwhelmed in any way.

I have the Icon adjustable front coilovers. I had the selector set at 4 with my ARE shell and top box. I upped the setting to 6 since I put on the camper, and it feels fairly plush. I don't feel any excessive dive going into corners, or at extreme braking, at this setting. I'm going to try it at 5 and at 7 to see the difference. I'm waiting on an aftermarket bumper (and at some point a winch) to do any adjustments in the coilover itself after I get it installed.

I'm going to do a thread on the build (truck and camper), but the options we chose were the flush mounted stove and sink, a 2 way refrigerator, the Silver Spur siding, roof access steps, rear LED lighting, Yakima tracks, and pre-wired for solar (the plug is on the back panel).

I'm going to be taking it on a week long trip with the bikes mounted on the back and a Yakima top box on top (mostly for things like the chairs I don't want to be underfoot or have to constantly move if we just want to get something out of the refrig or cupboard for lunch along the way). I've had it out for 6 days recently but I was fairly spartan in what I brought as well as I was alone for more than half the time.

I'll have a better understanding of how it rides with all our gear along this time.

Last edited:

craig333

Expedition Leader
Its really a three season camper. Can you make it work in the winter? Sure you can but not as well as a true four season camper. All depends on how extreme you go. No matter what you want the heater.

lcgeek

Observer
Just a quick couple pics of the new camper on my Tacoma. And, my impressions of the suspension mods now that the camper is on there.

I noticed about a 3" sag when the camper was put on - measured from the ground to the top of the rear wheel well (41" to 38") - but I had the setup sitting "*** high" so it almost perfectly evened out the front and rear. A few weeks prior to picking up the camper I was at FWC and we were able to get in touch with Chris from the Colorado FWC as they apparently put in the extra leaf in the Dakar. From what I gathered the more stuff you're going to hall, the more you're going to leave the camper on the truck, or the more extreme you might take it, they suggest the extra leaf. It's a $57 investment (per Toyteclift's website) and would raise the truck about 1/2" (downside being stiffer when the camper was not on). I've had the rig at freeway speeds, and down backroad twisties, and I have not noticed any "sway" or feeling of it being top heavy in any fashion. I noticed some slight additional "bounce" in the shocks in some more extreme off road rollers, but, again, I did not feel that it was overwhelmed in any way.

I have the Icon adjustable front coilovers. I had the selector set at 4 with my ARE shell and top box. I upped the setting to 6 since I put on the camper, and it feels fairly plush. I don't feel any excessive dive going into corners, or at extreme braking, at this setting. I'm going to try it at 5 and at 7 to see the difference. I'm waiting on an aftermarket bumper (and at some point a winch) to do any adjustments in the coilover itself after I get it installed.

I'm going to do a thread on the build (truck and camper), but the options we chose were the flush mounted stove and sink, a 2 way refrigerator, the Silver Spur siding, roof access steps, rear LED lighting, Yakima tracks, and pre-wired for solar (the plug is on the back panel).

I'm going to be taking it on a week long trip with the bikes mounted on the back and a Yakima top box on top (mostly for things like the chairs I don't want to be underfoot or have to constantly move if we just want to get something out of the refrig or cupboard for lunch along the way). I've had it out for 6 days recently but I was fairly spartan in what I brought as well as I was alone for more than half the time.

I'll have a better understanding of how it rides with all our gear along this time.

Congrats on the new FWC!

I'm curious about your tail gate being removed. I thought FWC defiitely recommended leaving tailgate on since the camper is not strong enough to support weight unsupported....or no?

Also - did you add the diamond plate end piece?

JT

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Thanks. The instructions for prior to install were to clean the bed of debris and to remove the tailgate. I have not seen many posts that have the "right" model FWC for their truck that leave it on (there were quite a few pics on the Rocky Mountain FWC Facebook page of the short bed and finch setup - as well as other Tacomas). I believe the diamond plating is part of their Silver Spur addition - the white one has a white covering in the same location.

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Its really a three season camper. Can you make it work in the winter? Sure you can but not as well as a true four season camper. All depends on how extreme you go. No matter what you want the heater.

Not sure I would agree with that statement. I've had to pull myself out of bed with just as much trepidation on a cold morning in my dad's hard sided cabover as I have in a pop up cabover (I had a Northstar before this FWC). Not sure how you would have to "...make it work..." for winter camping. I did get the thermal wrap as an added layer, but I've "camped" in a snow trench with a poncho overhead in the military, snow camped in a variety of tents, and even done some bivy/sleeping pad nights as well. All this without the comfort of the heater of the camper. I grew up in Alaska and northern Washington so maybe I'm a little biased, but I think this will be a great winter/ski setup. On some of the colder nights I don't even have to raise the roof as I can sleep in the bench "bed" in comfort.

All of us have our own levels of comfort, and I would be hesitant to suggest any limitation to others. I can publish my "findings" along the way, but, again, I would list my background so others could tell if they would have a similar experience; however, the only way to truly know is to start up the truck and go...

craig333

Expedition Leader
Yes we do. However I suggest you read the account of the turtle expedition across Siberia. Extreme yes. Gary and Monika don't consider a popup winter worthy. When I said can you do it, I was really referring to time. A weekend or a week running the heater sure, no problem. Living in one for a month in extreme conditions? I wouldn't.

http://turtleexpedition.com/adventures/russia/introduction-2/

Last edited:

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Yes we do. However I suggest you read the account of the turtle expedition across Siberia. Extreme yes. Gary and Monika don't consider a popup winter worthy. When I said can you do it, I was really referring to time. A weekend or a week running the heater sure, no problem. Living in one for a month in extreme conditions? I wouldn't.

http://turtleexpedition.com/adventures/russia/introduction-2/

I don't want to beleaguer this point any more than necessary, but I will say this. I know of Gary and Monika's travels very well. I have read their exploits, watched their videos (I have their Iceland video in my collection), and I've talked to people who know them. I respect his statement under the "Vehicle" section on this matter, but in the trip report he also mentioned how they were able to keep the camper in the 60's and 70's with the heater setup they had. I would point out the camper not only made it through the trip, but I think it is still around. I would also point out this is not "normal" winter camping. I've been in a "calm" -70. That's when the foam in your truck seat freezes, your anti-freeze starts to go towards solid form, your "glass" rating for tires can be exceeded, solids become brittle, etc... Don't care what vehicle you're in, it's cold.

I wholeheartedly believe there are six "seasons" during the year - spring, summer, "hell" (defined as when the temp seems to meet, or exceed, the 100 degree mark), fall, winter, and sub-arctic (extended periods below the -20 stage). I found it interesting where a temp was listed at "-87", and many at least below -30. I may be in the minority, but I would suggest this is the "sub-arctic" travel, not "winter camping". In the 10 years I lived, traveled, and camped, in Alaska much of the winter was in the 20's to 30's. In the 30 years I've lived, camped and traveled in the Sierras, winters normally stay in teens to the 40's. These are "normal" winter conditions - well within the FWC's abilities.

If you are suggesting a "true" four season camper is the "Turtle V", an "Earthroamer" or some other Unimog based RV - can't fault the comparison there. One can only imagine what a six figure budget can do for comfort. I've owned a Sportsmobile that came close to the six figure mark, and I've camped in a varied range of weather with it. I will definitively say I am just as happy with the Tacoma/Finch combo (which has run me half what the SMB cost), and I'm equally confident it will handle those conditions with equal ease.

Take a look at www.arestlesstransplant.com He has been living full time in his FWC - with travels to surf and snow - and I have yet to see any complaints coming from him. I am sure he is not the only one out there.

Suffice it to say, we disagree on what can be done with these campers and we'll leave it at that...

cobblecrazy

Adventurer
Nice Fat Bike! What kind is it?

It's a Salsa Mukluk. Surprisingly light, nimble, and a blast to ride in any type of terrain. I rode the dunes at Pismo one morning before the crowd got up and I could not wipe the smile off my face if I tried...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior