Really.............Independent Suspension...******?

bdp1978

Adventurer
i know there are companies out there that build axles but a couple thousand dollars per axle is not a doable option for the average person, and i'm not saying it will happen soon but what about in 60 years, we really don't know where the car market will really be, plus look at programs like cash for clunkers, how many axles, t-cases and other parts were destroyed in that deal, but thats a whole other argument

Really. Thats the example you use? Do you see a lot of 1950's vehicles on the trails where you live?

Anybody who doesnt think that the Wrangler will eventually be IFS is fooling themselves. Sooner or later it WILL happen.....and sooner or later we will all adapt to this strange new world. The arguments about this stuff are funny sometimes.

NOMADIC_LJ

Explorer
believe it or not this is about as dramatic as when Jeep decided to switch from leaf springs to coils.

"Jeep is ruined" "I'll never buy another Jeep again" "Not a real Jeep" etc.

IFS will happen but I don't think its going to happen in the next style out.

rolando

Observer
That is exactly what I thought when the TJ was introduced.

We will get over it and buy what is available ... I do have a JKU now and don't mind the coil springs at all ... (But still love to see square headlights on YJs like my old one ;-))

Judoka

Learning To Live
I say hurry and buy your new Jeep right now! Rush to your local Jeep Dealer and get those solid axles before they start charging extra for the last few remaining Wranglers! :victory: Ha! Just kidding...unless what I just said works!:sombrero: (Yes, I work for a Jeep Dealership)

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
That is exactly what I thought when the TJ was introduced.

We will get over it and buy what is available ... I do have a JKU now and don't mind the coil springs at all ... (But still love to see square headlights on YJs like my old one ;-))

It's funny. Back when the yj came out. It wasn't considered a real jeep. It seems people are resistant to new things.

Bob Freda

Adventurer
Perhaps they should offer both, with the solid axel setup as part of the Rubicon package . That way they can lower the CAFE rating for the whole range.

bdp1978

Adventurer
It's funny. Back when the yj came out. It wasn't considered a real jeep. It seems people are resistant to new things.

Haha, funny how that works. This and the "JK Longevity" thread have been pretty entertaining. I passed a YJ on my way into the office this morning....younger guy...he was happily bouncing along with a hat and gloves on inside the jeep. Gave me some fond memories of my old YJ.........then I turned up the heat and the stereo, put my coffee back in the cupholder I knew wouldnt spill it at the next crack in the road and continued on.....pretty damn happy I was in my JKU and not my old YJ.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
I think that IFS suspensions have their place but not under my Jeep...

I too, am pretty much a purist in Jeep SFA matters, but I will say that I and my family back generations have owned a lot of Jeeps, all with SFA except two KJ's, one of which I currently own and daily drive. My opinion is that if you are mainly taking a Jeep to the limit off road then SFA can't be beat. However, for every other use, including overland style off road travel/touring, the IFS is very easily as competent or outperforms any SFA Jeep in the same conditions. Also, plenty of other great off road brands such as Land Rover and Toyota have been IFS or FIS for a while now and they are doing fine off road, and even better as companies for it.

haven

Expedition Leader
In budget negotiations, managers often employ the "Washington Monument" ploy. Faced with budget cuts, the department head proposes, "Well, we could always remove the Washington Monument." Substitute a similarly loved and revered project to make this work in your area. Everyone recoils in horror, and the budget remains intact.

I think the IFS Wrangler proposal is one of these ploys. Suggest it, and everyone get all excited. "I'll be buried in my solid axle jeep!" And so on. As Matthew Scott points out in his article on the ExPo front page, Jeep sells every solid axle Wrangler they can make. Jeep has no incentive to change this magic formula.

Another reason that Jeep won't make an IFS Wrangler is that they already do make IFS 4x4 vehicles in the Wrangler's price range, namely the new Cherokee on the low end, and Grand Cherokee on the high end. Making the Wrangler more like these vehicles only reduces its appeal, and confuses potential customers.

There are several ways Jeep can make the Wrangler more fuel efficient without messing with the basic formula. Lighter materials, better aerodynamics, a small diesel or a gas-electric hybrid, and a new transmission with more gears (the new Cherokee has a nine speed auto trans) are just a couple of ways the new Wrangler will get better fuel economy numbers.

EMrider

Explorer
In budget negotiations, managers often employ the "Washington Monument" ploy. Faced with budget cuts, the department head proposes, "Well, we could always remove the Washington Monument." Substitute a similarly loved and revered project to make this work in your area. Everyone recoils in horror, and the budget remains intact.

I think the IFS Wrangler proposal is one of these ploys. Suggest it, and everyone get all excited. "I'll be buried in my solid axle jeep!" And so on. As Matthew Scott points out in his article on the ExPo front page, Jeep sells every solid axle Wrangler they can make. Jeep has no incentive to change this magic formula.

Another reason that Jeep won't make an IFS Wrangler is that they already do make IFS 4x4 vehicles in the Wrangler's price range, namely the new Cherokee on the low end, and Grand Cherokee on the high end. Making the Wrangler more like these vehicles only reduces its appeal, and confuses potential customers.

There are several ways Jeep can make the Wrangler more fuel efficient without messing with the basic formula. Lighter materials, better aerodynamics, a small diesel or a gas-electric hybrid, and a new transmission with more gears (the new Cherokee has a nine speed auto trans) are just a couple of ways the new Wrangler will get better fuel economy numbers.

True, and I hope that your hunch is correct.

My concern is that companies also often use trade publications and the blogsphere to "release" news that they suspect will not be welcomed by some customers long before an official announcement is made. This gives the inevitable blowback an opportunity to dissipate and fade with time; thereby not overshadowing the hoped for positive buzz the company hopes to receive following the "official" release of new info. If Wrangler fans are resigned to accepting IFS before the news is official, Jeep will have significantly fewer PR headaches in 2015.

I am concerned this is what Jeep is doing now.

R

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz