Really Big Adventure – M101A2 Build

ToRo13

Luv that setup: how the tent door opens to swing open kitchen !!! I may try to copy your swing tail gate..I got some JK hinges I was going to use on a previous trailer but kinda thought the tail gate was too heavy,but I see that "kick stand" makes all the difference..
The tailgate is very heavy. I am very conscious of that and try not to leave it open if it's not supported. JK hinges or the $20 weldable set off Amazon both work great.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Pelicans are great. I use them for camera and video gear. Their warranty is excellent. I had a set of GoPro cameras in a small pelican. Long story ... I set them on the bucket of my tractor, then, proceeded to forget about it and run over it with a plow and sliced the case in half!

Thought, “Clearly my fault. Let’s see what Pelican does about this.”

Called them and told them the truth. They said, “I don’t think running over our case with a plow is covered under our warranty.”

I said “What part of unconditional warranty does this not cover?”

Long pause.

“Mail it to us.”

10 days later a new Pelican case showed up on my doorstep.

It’s this kind of customer service that makes lifelong customers and gets others to buy their cases.

Hardigg cases are just as good in my opinion. I have seen them on eBay for sale. I have a large one about 36x18x20. Its indispensable

Frankenwaggy

Hello there. Great looking trailer. I am currently building one to tow behind our 75 wagoneer restomod. I just got my rooftop tent and haven’t started any of the mods to the small trailer I purchased for the build. But I have been looking into linear actuators or screw drives to help me raise/lower the tent. Can you share what type you bought and where and if you would change anything if you had to do it again? Much appreciated. Again, great looking set up!

ToRo13

We’ve been out about 25 times this season and the linear actuators have been flawless. I bought them from ‘Windy Nation’ they are used for sun tracking solar arrays. From what I recall they are rated at 250lbs each. So I have the potential to push up 1,000 lbs which is nice. I went with 20” based on the end height I wanted the tent to be off the trailer. It was dictated by the height of the trailer and the annex that connects to the tent. I’ve been really happy with the set up and wouldn’t change anything.

dstock

Explorer
We’ve been out about 25 times this season and the linear actuators have been flawless. I bought them from ‘Windy Nation’ they are used for sun tracking solar arrays. From what I recall they are rated at 250lbs each. So I have the potential to push up 1,000 lbs which is nice. I went with 20” based on the end height I wanted the tent to be off the trailer. It was dictated by the height of the trailer and the annex that connects to the tent. I’ve been really happy with the set up and wouldn’t change anything.

+ 1 on Windy Nation actuators, I have the 16" version on my build and they have been great despite all the dust and the washboard roads we have travelled over.

Theschist

Amazing...jealous....I just bought a EeziAwn RTT and Foxwing for my M101A2 build. Can't wait to get going on it. I have a 2018 Tacoma to pull with now and I plan on doing a similar build with matching paint and everything. Thanks so much for the inspiration and images (especially when I am trying to sell it to my wife!!) The photos bring validation as to why I wanted to sell the regular camper and go with an expedition trailer.

ToRo13

Good luck trying to sell your wife ? hahaha. If approval came in the from of eye rolls — my build was a huge success!

If you’re looking for vehicle access to more camping spots, the adventure trailer market opens up a lot more opportunities. It’s nice to be able to camp in hard to reach spots. If you love the solitude of dispersed camping, this is about as good as it gets without dropping 100k.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior