Really Big Adventure – M101A2 Build

ianmac289

Would you be willing to share your plans for the build? You've pretty much designed the trailer that I want. Well done! It looks really sharp.

ToRo13

You will learn to dislike the surge brakes....

Nice build.
Noted! I don’t have any money into them right now so I can’t complain that they’re a bad investment. We’ve got an 18 day — 2,800+ mile trip planned for June. I’d imaging I’ll have some strong opinions after that. Or perhaps you’ll see the trailer for sale on here hahaha.

Last edited:

ToRo13

I finished up the hitch this evening and put in the Max Coupler. Looks good, I hope it
Performs!! We're trying to head out this weekend if the weather decides to cooperate!

UPDATE: This worked awesome! Trailer was smooth as ever. Still need to test it in some more aggressive trails...but moderate is ??

44B8B0BB-D6ED-4BB0-BEFD-7288B3C4D171.jpeg

Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
That a Max Coupler, is newer version I bought my Max Coupler a year ago yours has those wing tips (probably helps hitch it back together). That looks like you can go almost anywhere now?? Nice!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Nice job on adapting the surge brake system. Very well done. I had a similar idea in mind for one of my 1101’s (pintle on top) but removed it altogether and ordered electric brakes. The surge brakes are not bad brakes if they work properly. Use the money elsewhere!

If your vehicle does not have a towing package, or brake controller, keep the surge brakes. Why spend money on something you already have!

My trucks have great adjustable trailer brakes (F-250 with tow package) so I can dial in 1-10 depending on the load. Electric Brakes for these trailers with parking brake option run $210, w/o parking brakes $115-$120. Not too expensive.

Scrapdaddy pointed me to these brakes on eTrailer https://www.etrailer.com/p-23-112-113.html

Anyway, your 101 is one of the nicest I have seen. You have done a wonderful job on this build! I have 4 of them and I am currently building an “adventure rack” it’s a roof rack on legs about 2’ above the top of the bed. Designed for work, trips to the ranch, hunting, camping in that order. Winch mounted on top, high lift jack, Ax, shovel, and platform for RTT. I have a 3000 watt inverter and two 100 watt solar panels. This is about your awesome 101, not mine. But wondering if we could get a peek at your electrical system and how you set it up.

ToRo13

Nice job on adapting the surge brake system. Very well done. I had a similar idea in mind for one of my 1101’s (pintle on top) but removed it altogether and ordered electric brakes. The surge brakes are not bad brakes if they work properly. Use the money elsewhere!

If your vehicle does not have a towing package, or brake controller, keep the surge brakes. Why spend money on something you already have!

My trucks have great adjustable trailer brakes (F-250 with tow package) so I can dial in 1-10 depending on the load. Electric Brakes for these trailers with parking brake option run $210, w/o parking brakes $115-$120. Not too expensive.

Scrapdaddy pointed me to these brakes on eTrailer https://www.etrailer.com/p-23-112-113.html

Anyway, your 101 is one of the nicest I have seen. You have done a wonderful job on this build! I have 4 of them and I am currently building an “adventure rack” it’s a roof rack on legs about 2’ above the top of the bed. Designed for work, trips to the ranch, hunting, camping in that order. Winch mounted on top, high lift jack, Ax, shovel, and platform for RTT. I have a 3000 watt inverter and two 100 watt solar panels. This is about your awesome 101, not mine. But wondering if we could get a peek at your electrical system and how you set it up.
Thanks! I’ve got an electronic trailer controller on the truck (‘17 Tundra Limited) , I just don’t use them much while we’re offroad. On the really steep stuff I tend to favor 4-low and use the transmission — which works awesome with the surge break. We’ll see — I don’t have time this summer to switch them out to electric or electric over hydronic over. That may be a winter project.

As for the electrical system I’ve only got a few photos from when I was wiring everything up. I’ll have to take some when I’m home or when we take it out next (hopefully this weekend).

Here are some updated pictures of the electrical system after I cleaned up all the wires.
227593E4-DA0C-445B-9D59-069733D495EB.jpeg

09FEA003-F0E3-4846-ADE4-C3B0F7B062D3.jpeg

Attachments

• DB65BCB9-2710-4609-864E-74DD6C90FAEA.jpeg
    DB65BCB9-2710-4609-864E-74DD6C90FAEA.jpeg
    938.1 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Thanks! I’ve got an electronic trailer controller on the truck (‘17 Tundra Limited) , I just don’t use them much while we’re offroad. On the really steep stuff I tend to favor 4-low and use the transmission — which works awesome with the surge break. We’ll see — I don’t have time this summer to switch them out to electric or electric over hydronic over. That may be a winter project.

As for the electrical system I’ve only got a few photos from when I was wiring everything up. I’ll have to take some when I’m home or when we take it out next (hopefully this weekend).
That is nice! Is that an exhaust fan against the front? I was hoping I could store a propane bottle inside my box with the batteries and system but that looks like it takes up all the space you have? maybe I'll have to mount my box to one side and put the propane bottle on the outside. Probably much safer that way. I can't believe how much money I will have invested in this trailer. No wonder the price tag is so high for these things. I think you have done a great job on yours!

ToRo13

That’s not a vent, it’s a 120v to 12v (ac/dc) power inverter. It’s a heavy duty version designed to run vehicle components on show cars. I’ve got a 2000 watt generator I can use if need be. The trailer is wired up to charge off solar, my truck auxiliary 7 pin and 120v AC. I like back ups for backups ?. The entire trailer is 12v.

I’m thinking about adding a 20lb propane tank to the tongue for the shower, it will fit over the top of the surge brake. I just need to fab up a little platform for it...probably a job for next winter.

And yes these can be beyond expensive! I have easily spent over 150+ hours working on it and could have bought a brand new 24’ camper for what I’ve put into this. But my goal was to have something that could ‘follow’ my truck wherever I wanted to take it. We love the path less traveled and getting into the backcountry whenever possible. Cant do that with a land yacht. I’ve had a really fun time working through the design challenges and looking forward to finally using it!!

Last edited:

ToRo13

We made it out this past weekend and had an amazing time. I've got a few more modifications and some organizing I need to do before we take off on our 18 day trip [mid june] 2,800 miles. Also need to find some time to install my new suspension, wheels and tires on my Tundra.

IMG_2441.jpegIMG_2451.jpegIMG_2473-1.jpeg

ToRo13

Looks great! I am very interested in the hitch idea, I hate the pintle hitch because there is so much play in it (which is why it is good for off-roading) but it drives me nuts. I am trying to do what you are doing on my M1101, keep surge brakes but change hitch style.
We went out this weekend and this set up was AMAZING, granted the trails were in a lot better shape that the place we went the week before, but the trailer is scary quiet ?

JandDGreens

Adventurer
Nice!! Your summer should be packed with adventures, do you think the trailer can do Tincup Pass type of trail? My goal is to be able to tug mine on moderate trails and camp just about anywhere. Like at the river on Metberry Gulch type of trail.

wvtradbow

Observer
Luv that setup: how the tent door opens to swing open kitchen !!! I may try to copy your swing tail gate..I got some JK hinges I was going to use on a previous trailer but kinda thought the tail gate was too heavy,but I see that "kick stand" makes all the difference..

ToRo13

Nice!! Your summer should be packed with adventures, do you think the trailer can do Tincup Pass type of trail? My goal is to be able to tug mine on moderate trails and camp just about anywhere. Like at the river on Metberry Gulch type of trail.
Yes, that was my goal as well. I could have bought a really nice bumper pull camper for what I have invested into this thing. If you air down the tires on the trailer [helps reduce the trailer bounce over rocks etc] and take it slow, your only limiting factors are your vehicle and nerve –– [torque, traction, maneuverability etc]. I took it through a section of Rollins pass that is rough as hell. That's when I discovered I hated the Pintle hitch and switched to the Max Coupler. I think these trailers are more capable than anyone knows...including myself. I've got a lot of time and money into this build and don't have a lot of either to push the envelope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke