Really? A 12v oven?

4x4tripping

Adventurer
AVvXsEjwmWC-MR5qIcs-thrCr5z1UDenZ_DBUpUYPcgm-wXJ2Se76h8SKElnE3hmz3VblEgT1GFhDcXbAUyHO1MzKD3Om4nrKe-Fp1_J1WXf4Va_8Op5dqT4BMZ3M2VCWXj4Cy62CRtROCBZb3F82PDd6s08q_ymbbTdRzzwJgL8fz6D8e68-HTql4U1mJOziw=s449

I often regret that shipping from australia is so expensive? I did detect an well working 12v oven.

I want it... Also when my roadlife did more consist out of Campfire and BBQ - baking the own bread, using the self sufficent solar power - sounds too nice...

The pricetag - is a bit crazy.

trippin

chet6.7

Explorer
A Travel Buddy would be nice to have. I have the RoadPro, I haven't used it much, but it will get food hot.

billiebob

yep, looking forward to how fast the new fossil free world adapts to the miracle of electricity.
thing we have embraced like smart phones and microwave ovens have evolved exponentially and incredibly fast.
The mictowave oven has become soo much more efficient over the past 50 years.

The smart phone..... WOW.
It replaced the digital camera, the PDA thingee, calender, daytimer, alarm clock, message thingee, MUSIC WOW..... no more LPs, Cassettes, CDs, what was that Apple thing that only downloaded digital music?????? It lasted less than 5 years.

Yep, todays focus is making everything else off grid electric and efficient. The next 20 years will be amazing.

4x4tripping

Adventurer
If someone is wondering, how fast or slow such a device is working - I found those values from travel buddy (different brand than road chef)

AVvXsEgc7hneBKrnLLTYGXUbPACZFKSdfaS0nmiH5A51_PqiDys3xgfiJdz91VVMhOOECXQCL4wzkweYeMa3fmkKWlXK805aBaBfQVZwSsAsB2EAoKtwFP8pyiGuEqP8v7qGZ4oLR1o2YWNq_mQo8GEgZtl0xWTkttktG64kZobYsrXDMOENWIztqKPPK4Pm=s1092

krick3tt

Adventurer
I would prefer a 12V microwave to an oven. Mostly I cook over fire but a micro would be a bonus in places where a fire is inconvenient. Although I am fast running out of places to carry items for comfort.

JPOVS

AVvXsEjwmWC-MR5qIcs-thrCr5z1UDenZ_DBUpUYPcgm-wXJ2Se76h8SKElnE3hmz3VblEgT1GFhDcXbAUyHO1MzKD3Om4nrKe-Fp1_J1WXf4Va_8Op5dqT4BMZ3M2VCWXj4Cy62CRtROCBZb3F82PDd6s08q_ymbbTdRzzwJgL8fz6D8e68-HTql4U1mJOziw=s449

I often regret that shipping from australia is so expensive? I did detect an well working 12v oven.

I want it... Also when my roadlife did more consist out of Campfire and BBQ - baking the own bread, using the self sufficent solar power - sounds too nice...

The pricetag - is a bit crazy.

trippin

I have been contemplating the kick ass oven over the travel buddy. Looks to be a little better.

1000arms

:unsure: ... The toy "Easy Bake Oven" used a 100 watt light bulb as a heat-source. Make your own call, but, I know I would want a much higher wattage oven. ... :cool:

"Power Consumption: According to industry representatives, a toaster oven uses about
1/3-1/2 less energy than a conventional electric oven for cooking small meals. Typical
power consumption of a toaster oven during use is 1,200 to 1,400 watts. Bake, toast,
and keep-warm functions use more power on average than broil- and slow-bake
functions. For a 6-slice toaster oven, bake and toast functions consume 900 to 1,400
watts, the keep-warm function consumes 600 to 1,400 watts, the broil function
consumes 800 to 1,200 watts, and the slow-bake function consumes approximately 600
watts." is from:

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
We currently use a camp chef oven / stove. It uses the little green propane tanks. The electric one above looks interesting.

Maybe something to look at when the camp chef craps out.

999999-31336724.jpg

In terms of dinner, I’ve swung from complex campfire cooking to simple boiling water and freeze dried meals. I’ve ended up somewhere in the middle using a camp stove, minimal cookware, pre-prepped food, and little or no water clean-up. The Travel Buddy is another valid method with that idea in mind. I normally see Aussies using it for lunch…they save their culinary efforts for dinner. My sense is that those of us in the USA seldom “cook” lunch. Of course, I could be wrong…I frequently am. ?

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I have a 12 volt Road Pro oven and use it to reheat leftovers I bring from home. It uses cheap aluminum loaf pans so there is nothing to clean up. I'll freeze meals in the pans and heat them up (defrosted) as I drive. It takes about two hours to heat up so I have a meal ready when I stop.

20210707_185818.jpg20210707_203120.jpg

Last edited:

broncobowsher

Adventurer
I have a friend who is a cop that uses something along the same lines. Don't know the brand. Loads it up in the cruiser and has hot leftovers. The slow heat does wonders for those days where you don't get to eat at a predictable time. Loves it.

I'm running a home microwave off an inverter. Separate house battery. Still need to keep run times short. A watt is a watt, but in a 12V world it is about 10x the amp draw compared to the 120V world. If you think that a full size domestic microwave is typically installed on its own 20A dedicated circuit breaker. That kind of amp draw is comparable to what a starter motor draws trying to start your engine. But instead of a few seconds, you are asking for minutes of run time.

chet6.7

Explorer
I think the advantage of a Travel Buddy type over the Roadpro, or a microwave is the ability to brown the food.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94